Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2016, 10:36   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Yanmar oil galley plug

I went back and researched my work from 2010. The motor actually had a street "T" already installed. So I modified it to fit. You could probably buy one from Yanmar, Part # 129670-39600. They are less then $50.

The first pic it the original yanmar fitting, in place.

The second pic is the difference between the two fittings.

I recut the end for a wrench, tapped the end for a 1/8" NPT.
The brass pipe was just a handle while working on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3452.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	133222   Click image for larger version

Name:	NPTvsBSPT.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	133223  

Click image for larger version

Name:	adaptor1.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	133224   Click image for larger version

Name:	adaptor2.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	133225  

Old 20-10-2016, 15:46   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

From a discussion from a Yanmar mechanic at Massey, I may have such a block on the Starboard side back by the flywheel. If so I'm told it's easy to remove and tap.
Oddly he told me you could run a 1/8" tap into the BSP threads and retap it, but I don't think I want to go that route.
Be next weekend before I get back down though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 17:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK, I have a 4-JHE, I want to add an oil pressure gauge, I will keep the warning buzzer.
I could I guess if I have to use a T assuming I could find one of the right thread, but I had rather if possible use another tap into the oil galley, assuming there is one and that is what I'm asking. In all honestly I don't even know where the low oil pressure switch is, I have't looked so I'm assuming I could use a T?

Is there an un-used oil galley tap on a Yanmar 4-JHE? If so , where is it? How is it removed, Allen wrench?
If you look at page 55 in your owners manual you will find the wiring diagram and see the oil pressure switch and the color of the wires. An oil pressure switch is usually close to the oil filter. The threads are usually pipe thread and available at automotive supply stores. Page 60 has your color codes legend.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 19:18   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Where did you find the T?
No help to you sorry as a buddy of mine who works in a pulp&paper mill supplied it to me but you can find them online. Not sure if USA has much BSP stuff but you can find them on Aliexpress
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 04:16   #20

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

JIS (Japan Industrial Standard pipe threads are the same as British and are different from US NPT and Metric). JIS pressure senders and fittings are available from automotive, farm, and marine suppliers. Gates Corp. has a complete line of JIC engine plumbing in their extensive auto and hydraulic catalogs

Forget about tapping a new hole unless the engine is being rebuilt - metal chips from drilling/tapping into the oil system are not a good idea.

If you think you have located an existing plug in the oil galley, clean the area, remove it, engage the compression release, get a rag & crank the engine to see if it squirts oil.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 08:43   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwright View Post

Forget about tapping a new hole unless the engine is being rebuilt - metal chips from drilling/tapping into the oil system are not a good idea.

Think!
Tapping should be done with the T fitting removed. Then cleaned with solvent and blown out with compressed air!

And if one were to tap an engine block, one can use heavy grease on the tap to collect the metal chips and vacuum the hole to get anything left.

As a retired Macinist we have lots of old Indian tricks up our sleeve. Non Machinists should beware!
Old 21-10-2016, 13:54   #22

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

From one machinist to another....'

I understand one can safely tap the tee. The original post inquired about drilling and tapping an oil galley in the engine block casting.

The grease on the tap trick is an old one. However the swarf from the tap drill is not so easy to trap. As to vacuuming -- maybe, but I'm also thinking that we are drilling into an OIL galley. Sticky, oily place that may be hard to vacuum, and it only takes one gritty piece of cast iron to wreck a main bearing.

I'll stick with my original opinion. JIS standard plumbing is not that hard to find.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 14:23   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Yanmar oil galley plug

Actually I did not ask about drilling and tapping, but removing an oil galley plug if I can find one.
But while I'm no machinist, I do know the grease trick, but that I think is more of a mechanics trick?
Anyway after that, just turn the motor over for a second to flush out any filings left with oil.
But I never intended to do that, I just got in the mail, my Yanmar to NPT adapter that I got from the Yanmar tractor dealer. I posted the link. I also got my sending unit and gauge, now to get to the boat and find that unused oil galley plug.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley, oil, plug, yanmar