Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-02-2013, 11:31   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Yanmar Oil Filter

I have a 4JH2 HTE and am in Central America. I've run out of YANMAR filters part #129150-35153. Anyone know a cross reference oil filter that I can buy. There is an Autozone here so FRAM filters are availalbe. Thanks Darrel l

opwan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:46   #2

Boat: Cross 40
Re: YANMAR Oil Filter

IIRC Wix#57356 or Napa #7356

According to the Fram website the Wix # may cross to PH7317 but must be verified.

I rate myself 75% on this one, don't have them in front of me, so please check very carefully or see if anyone else chimes in.

Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Re: YANMAR Oil Filter

Check the O-ring diameter to the original. And on first start up verify oil pressure. Some after market filters may or may not have internal relief valves.
Just say'n!
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful!
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints!
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 15:33   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Yanmar Oil Filter

The Wix number is Correct. I've used them and have a few still aboard
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 16:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Do these apply to all JH4's? I've got a JH43E.
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:57   #6

Most filter manufactures web site ( Baldwin, Fram, Fleetguard, etc) will have an area where you can enter the filter number and it will generate a cross part number for there filter.
travisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 21:49   #7

Boat: Amazon 44

It is worth studying the equivalent part numbers really closely. This little tale of the "Oil Change from Hell" is from an early issue of my Nomadness Report. As the debacle (and near disaster) unfolded, I posted here on CF and got lots of good advice; here is the very short version, along with a photo of the gasket that still sends chills up my spine whenever I look at it:
Here’s a warning for anyone who has recently purchased a boat... assume nothing! I certainly should have known better, but when I did my first Yanmar oil change a few months ago, I just looked at the existing Fram filter (PH2856), crossed it to a locally available NAPA 1381 (Wix), and did the job. Within seconds, all the engine oil exploded into the bilge with a horrible noise, and I’m indebted to George Pell, my dock neighbor who was helping, for thinking quickly about shutdown and bilge-pump disabling before things could get really messy.

Looking closely, we discovered that the new gasket was only barely contacting the flange on the engine, and that the old one (which I had been using for about 140 engine hours including dangerous moments on lee shores), was the wrong filter type! It had never even occurred to me to question something that came with the boat, but you can see in the photo that the indentation is not only unevenly distributed around the ring but also a mere 50 thousandths of an inch wide at its narrowest. That bit of rubber is what was holding my oil in since I bought the boat.

The correct filter for the Yanmar 4JH-DTE is the Yanmar 129150-35152, which is now in stock. Removing 7 quarts of oil from the bilge is not an experience that I wish to repeat (but at least it shot down instead of up into the pilothouse!).
Lesson learned, but of course it begs the question: what are all the equally scary things that I don't know yet? *shudder*

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	framgasket.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	54612  

S/V Nomadness
Nomadic Research Labs
Microship is offline   Reply With Quote

oil, yanmar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: