Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 15:29   #1

Yanmar noise increasing

I have a Yanmar 4JH3 engine with an SD40 saildrive. Over the past two years the engine has grown increasingly loud. It is not possible to sleep in the aft cabin while motoring, and it is unpleasantly loud in the cockpit at 3000 rpm.
No smoke; oil looks good; speed has not changed. The three blade Volvo folding prop blades are a bit loose, but not bad. I wonder if it could be the muffler. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mark
markdbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 15:37   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Yanmar noise increasing

Loose, deteriorated or missing sound insulation? How old is the sound insulation? Any new holes into the engine compartment? Any panels loose and vibrating will transmit noise into the boat/cockpit. Anything loose in the engine compartment that is banging against a panel or the hull?

Any air leak in the sound insulation will pass noise.

Sometimes a bulkhead that isn't even close to the engine compartment can rebroadcast noise that is transferred through the hull of the boat.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 08:01   #3

Have your engine mounts collapsed? There should be clear space under the metal inverted U of each mount. If the top piece is touching the bottom, much noise and vibration will be transfered to the hull.

Mounts are consumable items. The rubber weakens over time, and sometimes becomes unglued from the metal components.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 08:59   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
Have your engine mounts collapsed? There should be clear space under the metal inverted U of each mount. If the top piece is touching the bottom, much noise and vibration will be transfered to the hull.

Mounts are consumable items. The rubber weakens over time, and sometimes becomes unglued from the metal components.
You can put a bar or large screwdriver under the mount and leverage it up to verify that the rubber is still attached to both sides of the mount.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 03:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mark.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 05:55   #6

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Open up the air cleaner and check to see if the foam element is still there. The black foam turns into dust and disappears into the engine. The foam serves as an intake silencer.

Remove and check the exhaust elbow. It could be plugging, restricting the waterflow through the engine, and starving the water lift muffler of its needed water. The exhaust water would in that case be quite hot. Stick you hand in it to see.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 23:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Yacht type motor mounts with rubber appearing material can go bad. Rubber has solvents that constantly evaporate out. Over time the rubber becomes hard and transfers more noise into the vessel structure.
You don't really say what the noise is.
Sleeping part is interesting. In the navy in Vietnam, during breaks from the wheel, I use to sleep on the engine hatch over 2 Detroit v12s. I thought the noise helped me sleep. Maybe why I have Detroits now.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 00:51   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Open up the air cleaner and check to see if the foam element is still there. The black foam turns into dust and disappears into the engine. The foam serves as an intake silencer.

Remove and check the exhaust elbow. It could be plugging, restricting the waterflow through the engine, and starving the water lift muffler of its needed water. The exhaust water would in that case be quite hot. Stick you hand in it to see.
Surprisingly these engines dont have filter elements. If the exhaust elbow was clogged he wouldnt get 3000rpm out of it. Sorry not bring argumentative.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 07:02   #9

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I thought the 4JHE did have a intake filter. Maybe some don't. I just looked at the owners manual on line https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...page=38#manual and it lists in Section 4 - Maintnenace & Inspection, "Clean the element of the air intake silencer" every 250 hours or 1 year. Then a page or two later it says, "(5) Cleaning the Intake Silencer[,] Disassemble the intake silencer and clean the inside thoroughly. Remove the cover by taking off the clamp. Clean the element with a neutral detergent. Reassemble after it is completely dry."

I was envisioning the exhaust elbow plugging at the small raw water inlet, not in the larger exhaust passage. The inlet is one of the several small passages in the raw water circuit, and it ends where the rust and carbon builds up in the elbow. In that case the water would be restricted, the exhaust discharge water would be hot, and the engine would run full rpm with no exhaust restriction. note that the exhaust elbow is on the same maintenance interval as the intake silencer.

Although I have a Yanmar 3HM35F on my boat, not a 4JH3, these are two noise causing engine problems I have had. (I've also changed engine mounts -- all four of them now twice in the 13 years I've owned my boat.)
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 01:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I thought the 4JHE did have a intake filter. Maybe some don't. I just looked at the owners manual on line https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...page=38#manual and it lists in Section 4 - Maintnenace & Inspection, "Clean the element of the air intake silencer" every 250 hours or 1 year. Then a page or two later it says, "(5) Cleaning the Intake Silencer[,] Disassemble the intake silencer and clean the inside thoroughly. Remove the cover by taking off the clamp. Clean the element with a neutral detergent. Reassemble after it is completely dry."

I was envisioning the exhaust elbow plugging at the small raw water inlet, not in the larger exhaust passage. The inlet is one of the several small passages in the raw water circuit, and it ends where the rust and carbon builds up in the elbow. In that case the water would be restricted, the exhaust discharge water would be hot, and the engine would run full rpm with no exhaust restriction. note that the exhaust elbow is on the same maintenance interval as the intake silencer.

Although I have a Yanmar 3HM35F on my boat, not a 4JH3, these are two noise causing engine problems I have had. (I've also changed engine mounts -- all four of them now twice in the 13 years I've owned my boat.)
Yes you would think so but when I purchased this boat 3 months ago it didn't and I assumed that it deteriorated like they do on the 3gm30f and disappeared. I went to buy one and was told by the yanmar mechanic they don't have one. Maybe hes wrong.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-03-2017, 02:19   #11

Boat: Kaufman 47

The "element" is a metal screen, at least on my new 4JH4-TE it is. I'll be making a fiberglass adapter tube so I can put a k&n air filter I have laying around. The tube needs a hose hook up for the engine crank vent.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 02:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
The "element" is a metal screen, at least on my new 4JH4-TE it is. I'll be making a fiberglass adapter tube so I can put a k&n air filter I have laying around. The tube needs a hose hook up for the engine crank vent.
Yes, it stops birds etc..lol.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
noise, yanmar