Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 06:16   #61

Boat: Grand banks 32' Classic
Re: Yanmar low RPM under load

Or a constricted exhaust system. Might check it all the way back for an internally collapsed hose or animal nest. Best wishes.
rolandcavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 17:49   #62

So now I am really confused. The compression test showed, 410, 395 and 400. So what now. Is it the fuel systems, maybe the governor, or fuel pump. I checked everything else I can think of.
jmurray109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 18:11   #63

Boat: Catalina 30

Like Roland said it could be restricted exhaust flow. How old/how may hours are on your exhaust mixing elbow? If that is restricted from build up it could account for your problem. Other than exhaust restrictions I would be looking at fuel delivery.
Old 11-10-2018, 18:14   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Good news compression is ok :- )Yes I'd suspect the fuel system now. Did you check that all the injectors were spraying according to manual description? Rare for injector pump to fail unless it's had lots of water or diesel snot go thru it. I'd check for any air leaks & the injectors spray pattern.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 19:20   #65

The exhausted elbow was replaced about 2 years ago and this the first thing I checked.
Old 11-10-2018, 19:23   #66

The mixing elbow and exhaust was the first thing checked and nothing found. The mixing elbow was replaced about 2 years ago and did not have any buildup inside.
Old 11-10-2018, 19:59   #67
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurray109 View Post
So now I am really confused. The compression test showed, 410, 395 and 400. So what now. Is it the fuel systems, maybe the governor, or fuel pump. I checked everything else I can think of.
Now is the time to recheck every that you have already checked and ruled out

One sure way to eliminate many fuel items in one go is to set up clean jug of fuel, just a couple of quarts and gravity feed it direct to the injector pump.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 20:44   #68
Marine Service Provider

See A64 post# 3
Old 12-10-2018, 17:26   #69

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Check the timing. Check the Fuel. Check the exhaust. Check the air supply. Change any blocked filters in air and fuel. That is pretty much it. If the engine has a LOT of hours on the clock--check the pump and injectors for wear.

Oh--and check that your throttle setting actually works and that it does open the pump when you advance it.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 20:24   #70

So hopeful some good news. Removed the injection pump and had it tested. The middle injector pump had an issue. They tested before the rebuild. Hopefully will have the pump back next week and get it installed. Keeping my fingers crossed. Sorry for the delay but been busy at work. Once again thanks to everyone for you help.
Old 06-11-2018, 20:30   #71
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
So hopeful some good news. Removed the injection pump and had it tested. The middle injector pump had an issue. They tested before the rebuild. Hopefully will have the pump back next week and get it installed. Keeping my fingers crossed. Sorry for the delay but been busy at work. Once again thanks to everyone for you help.
Yea good luck that that is yr smokn gun.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:21   #72
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Yes, sounds like good news and matches what you first observed back in post #1. Middle cylinder (#2) not firing properly. Well done for finally tracking it down!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 19:57   #73

installed rebuild fuel pump and still no change and out of ideals. Could be just a tired motor and time for rebuild.
Old 17-11-2018, 16:11   #74

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
installed rebuild fuel pump and still no change and out of ideals. Could be just a tired motor and time for rebuild.
Dont give up.
The positives are that you have eliminated many things it ISNT.

So now keep on working down the list of possibles.

It really can only be 2 things.

1. Engine is not making enough power, or

2. The prop you are trying to drive is too big.

Try the easiest, or most likely things first.

You are chasing Engine power at the moment. You said the middle cyl didnt seem to be firing right. Is that better now with your rebuilt pump?

You can check if one cyl has less power than the others by cracking indivdual injector supply unions. If a cyl is not making power the engine will not decrease RPMs or tone when you crack that injector. Be carefull doing this as it is a high pressure squirt of diesel that comes out. You dont want it injected in your blood stream or eye etc. It can easily pierce skin. If you are not confident get a mechanic.

Of course it could also be something that is common to all cyls - exhaust elbow, fuel filter, air filter etc.

If the engine all checks out you might need to delve deeper into the prop. I dont think you positively eliminated that yet.

Good luck.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 12:37   #75
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I'd still suspect air leak somewhere or fuel supply issue. If your compression ok it's not just tired.

Tags
loa, rpm, yanmar