Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 21:52   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Yanmar Lift Pump

Charlie,
Here's a couple pictures that might be of interest. I don't know which motor you have, but these are from a 3JH/4JH.
I suspect if there are leaking pump piston seals leaking, the pressure can force the fuel back down the lube line and mixing with the oil.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump.jpg
Views:	1604
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	30827   Click image for larger version

Name:	lube_line.jpg
Views:	1287
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	30828  

Old 24-08-2011, 21:58   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41

Del thanks
U the Man!
that is what I need to study. I have the 4jh4E. I should have brought the parts manual home with me.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 22:26   #18

Here's a link to the 4JH. Goto page 38. >>> http://marinegenerators.us/kohler/lit/TP5229.PDF

Also page 42. I've heard the the diaphragm can rupture and allow fuel into the crankcase.
Old 24-08-2011, 22:49   #19

Del thanks for the link this helps a lot. I am looking at page 42 and wonder if I installed the gasket #2. I don't remember doing that but I do remember a gasket that attached in between the lift pump and the injection pump. There were two different gasket types. One that was round when looked at in section view and another that was square in section. If I didn't install the gasket #2 it looks like that might allow the leak that is occurring.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 24-08-2011, 23:06   #20

The #2 gasket looks like it could be an O-ring, but primarily to keep oil from leaking onto the motor/pump IMO.

BTW I've heard of the diaphragm going bad fairly often. I think I would look at that first. And if it's the problem carry a spare. I think I'll be doing so for my 3JH.
Old 24-08-2011, 23:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
The #2 gasket looks like it could be an O-ring, but primarily to keep oil from leaking onto the motor/pump IMO.

BTW I've heard of the diaphragm going bad fairly often. I think I would look at that first. And if it's the problem carry a spare. I think I'll be doing so for my 3JH.
I agree with the spare. Also it is nice to have an electric fuel pump plumbed in. I have this. When I put the electric pump on I disconnect the lift pump completely and run the electric pump up to the secondary fuel filter. This does resolve the problem but isn't how the engine is supposed to work. I have two lift pumps now. I am going to test them both to see if the diaphragm is good on either one of them.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 24-08-2011, 23:18   #22

Check out this link too. Yanmar dsl - lift pump failure? - SailboatOwners.com

I have an elect pump too but just for bleeding the system.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	129100-5201 Yanmar lift pump x2.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	30829  
Old 25-08-2011, 08:34   #23

In speaking with another friend of mine he says that on naval ships when he had problems with the fuel oil contaminating the lubricating oil most often it was an injector that was not atomizing the fuel and this was causing the fuel oil to be forced back into the lubricating oil. Would anyone care to comment on this?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 25-08-2011, 16:15   #24

Bump Anyone?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 25-08-2011, 16:47   #25

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Are you using your engine or has boat been sitting? How does your engine run? I think it might just be bad luck on two pumps but doesn't hurt to dig deeper. IIRC there was an article in Ocean NAvigator a couple months ago on rebuilding them.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 18:02   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
In speaking with another friend of mine he says that on naval ships when he had problems with the fuel oil contaminating the lubricating oil most often it was an injector that was not atomizing the fuel and this was causing the fuel oil to be forced back into the lubricating oil. Would anyone care to comment on this?
Yes...that can happen....the cylinders get washed with fuel and the fuel leaks past the rings....pretty soon you have a lot of crankcase pressure....I doubt if he is to that point yet as he hasn't reported any smoking
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 18:37   #27

Boat: Hunter 340

I've been told a simple test for these Yanmar lift pumps. Attach a hose 3 feet long, hold it vertically then crank to see if fuel is pumped up the hose. If fuel doesn't make it, you may have a faulty pump. I have seen a retrofit from Torreson for these pumps to allow better unrestricted flow.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 19:27   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Are you using your engine or has boat been sitting? How does your engine run? I think it might just be bad luck on two pumps but doesn't hurt to dig deeper. IIRC there was an article in Ocean NAvigator a couple months ago on rebuilding them.
I don't use the engine very much. Mostly to get in and out of the dock. It has been sitting for three months b/c I was out of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Yes...that can happen....the cylinders get washed with fuel and the fuel leaks past the rings....pretty soon you have a lot of crankcase pressure....I doubt if he is to that point yet as he hasn't reported any smoking
I did get smoking when I was in Mexico. That is what led me to find this problem. I thought I had fixed the problem by replacing the lift pump but now I see that the problem is still there.

Plan of attack: 1) run a test on the diaphragm as suggested in the manual. 2) I 'm not sure if this is the proper order. Remove injectors and have them serviced. 3) permanently bypass the lift pump with an electric pump. Does this make sense?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 25-08-2011, 20:08   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

You are making way too much work for yourself.

If the engine is making oil...it is most likey the diaphragm is shot.

Don't waste your time testing....replace it and get a rebuild kit...put that pump away as a spare

I don't know why you want to futz with the injectors.

If you run the engine for short intervals...that will cause the injectors to foul. Diesels need to be worked......light use is not good for them
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar