Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 21:36   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: yanmar issues still

Well no leaks in the fuel system and every thing is tight. The engine was installed in 94 and has a bit more then 1000 hours now, Only had 300 ish seven years ago when I purchased it. So the injectors have never been serviced.

It use to start up easy even down to 50 degrees. Though over the last 6 months or so its been getting a little harder. But only since December / January has it gotten persnickety. Thought it was just the cold temps over the winter. But now that its getting to the 60's and 70's I know its got issues.

So I'm going to see about getting a handful of crush washers for the injectors and pull them and see how carbon fowled they are.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 22:44   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

get your injectors serviced by a diesel shop this is the most likely cause,new nozzels are not expensive,and will most likely solve the problem and improve fuel consumption
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 23:10   #18
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

why only 30% throttle? my 3GM started up cold with more like 60% throttle. also can do some cetol additives.
Old 19-03-2013, 23:26   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You said you cleaned the racor. Did you remove anything to clean it or just change the filter. There is a backflow ball valve that installs opposite to what it seems it should. Check Maine Sails site for info on that if you did any dismantling of the filter assembly.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 01:02   #20

Boat: Privilege 37

One thing that gets forgotten even by diesel engineers is the exhaust elbow. This can get cloggd (i.e. the bit at the back of the engine where the exhaust gases and the cooling water first meet.

It is a relatively simple part to remove, and check to see if it is plugged with carbon.

The new manual for the 3YM30 provides some good diagnostics as well. I have just upgraded to these from 3GM30s.

This problem of the exhaust elbow is not uncommon, and it is also not uncommon that it is not diagnosed. I have a friend with MD2020 that spent a lot of money on fault finding without success, and was about to buy a new engine, when I suggested checking this item.. It was choked with carbon!
Old 20-03-2013, 09:10   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh I checked the discharge elbow a few days ago. I had cleaned it last year and it was not dirty at all. Ran a full stream of water through the exhaust.

When I first got the boat in 2007 the water injection port on the discharge elbow was clogged and trashed the raw water impeller while going back to the slip. Lucky I had a spare impeller or two... So I tend to check the discharge elbow every 300 hours or so

Injectors are next on my list.

For the racor filter, I just changed the filter, drained a little fuel out of the bowl which was clean before removing the filter. Then topped off the fuel before replacing cover with new gaskets.
Old 20-03-2013, 09:18   #22

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Years ago I had a problem starting my sailboat's Kobata diesel. My problem first started with a loss of power. I found the problem to be the air intake was almost completely clogged. After cleaning it ran normal with no starting problems.

The Yanmars have a bypass for hand cranking. Could your problem be related to the compression relief needed for hand cranking?

Another comment on fuel as if you have not had enough. My power boat with twin 454 gas engines had a starting problem that I finally isolated to a fuel transfer valve. That valve is one of two that allows switching fuel tanks. Those particular ball valves would allow air into the fuel lines during a negative fuel pressure which always happens when the fuel is being pumped. They did not leak under positive pressure.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 09:23   #23

How does one know when the cylinders are "catching"? Still sounds like a piston to me.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 09:53   #24

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
How does one know when the cylinders are "catching"? Still sounds like a piston to me.

Would not a compression test detect that?
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 10:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Would not a compression test detect that?
Yes of course the CT would show the compression anyway. Not as easy to perform as on a gas sngine, unless you have the adaptor to go in the injector hole. It sounds like she is talking about hearing the cylinders "catch"...?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 10:09   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You know I do have two three way valves to select which filter is used. I don't think that is a problem as once the engine runs there is no hesitation, which with a vacuum leak would I think cause momentary dips in the engine speed.

I have been meaning to rework that as its not at all easy to get to the valves except by removing everything from the lazzerette and climbing inside. A bit too fussy in my mind when away from a dock..

On the engine catching. Well when it starts its running on one cylinder right away, I then can hear the other two cylinders pick up the load. That is there is a change in engine speed and sound as each of the other two cylinders come on line.

I still have not discounted that it might be rings/ piston either. Just saving the best for last as it were. I truly am not looking forward to pulling the engine out and taking it apart. So not on my list of fun things to do.

Though I have actually rebuild a number of engines, from VW or motorcycle to LBC's. Plus assisted / watch my dad do that too from about age 6 up. weird girl I know...

Hum, The yanmar operation manual, does state to put the throttle at 50% at start. Though for the first 5 years I had the boat, it would start up without any additional throttle. Maybe its just broken in now......

I think I might know someone with a diesel compression gauge, Waiting on getting that for a compression check...

I cleaned the air filter last week too. So air side and fuel to the hp pump has been checked
Old 20-03-2013, 10:45   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

I have the exact same issue if I give the engine too much throttle when starting.
If I give it no throttle and spin the engine for about 2 seconds then add just a tiny bit of throttle it starts right up on all three cylinders and runs smooth.
If I give it 1/3 to 1/2 throttle when first spinning it, it starts on one and then the others catch up like you describe.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 11:10   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mine starts on one cylinder all the time. I have to give it throttle to keep the single cylinder from dieing. Of in a bit to see about some injector washers.....
Old 20-03-2013, 11:39   #29

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

After reconditioning my injector pump and bleeding fuel system I had a similar prob. with starting. Checking what I thought was low compresion in 2 cyl's & a couple of days
of dead ends, I finally put down to tiny residual air bubbles in two injection lines.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 12:31   #30
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the 3GM needs a lot of fuel right away in cold weather. my yanmar mechanic said to give it full throttle but i found 60 was enough. i also found that if it does not start right away it is better to stop and try again in a few minutes. too bad the yanmar folks did not give it the glow plugs that would have fixed this issue.

Tags
yanmar