Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 14:24   #1

Yanmar injection timing

I have a 1989 sailboat with Yanmar 3GM30F, with 1800 hrs. I just did a manual measurement of the injection timing, which seems to be about 3 to 4 degrees late.
Just looking for a sanity check. Is this is surprising, or is timing drift on these engines not too exceptional?

Thanks
Greg
gfr10598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 17:33   #2

Re: Yanmar injection timing

How did you go obout a ''Manual'' timing check?. Some ways can produce the error you mention.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 17:48   #3

Service manual method. Removed cylinder one injector fuel connection and rotated crankshaft until fuel just started to appear. Repeated 5 times. It is consistently about 4 or 5 degrees past the mark on the flywheel. Discounted one degree for visual detection.
Thanks.

Sent from my XT1053 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-06-2014, 18:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

My 4jh has a thermal wax advance. When the engine heats up the wax melts and advances the timing a good bit. If you have something similar that could account for the difference.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:17   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfr10598 View Post
I have a 1989 sailboat with Yanmar 3GM30F, with 1800 hrs. I just did a manual measurement of the injection timing, which seems to be about 3 to 4 degrees late.
Just looking for a sanity check. Is this is surprising, or is timing drift on these engines not too exceptional?

Thanks
Greg
Why did you check it in the first place? Was the engine running rough or were you just bored and following the service manual step by step to complete all the maintenance checks?
Old 09-06-2014, 05:21   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfr10598 View Post
Service manual method. Removed cylinder one injector fuel connection and rotated crankshaft until fuel just started to appear. Repeated 5 times. It is consistently about 4 or 5 degrees past the mark on the flywheel. Discounted one degree for visual detection.
Thanks.

I have not read the service manual so this is all supposition, but injectors have a cracking pressure, that is x fuel pressure has to exist first, building this pressure may account for the couple of extra degrees.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Why did you check it in the first place? Was the engine running rough or were you just bored and following the service manual step by step to complete all the maintenance checks?
I've owned the boat for just a year, and gradually going through checking things. The engine runs a little hot when over 2800 rpm, and retarded timing can be a contributing factor, as can dirty injectors. I've already gone through the cooling system.

The mechanical injection system has no adjustments aside from shims, so I'm just curious if wear alone is sufficient to cause retarded injection, or if my measurement is suspect.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:12   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Usually heat comes from advanced timing, retarded shows up as low power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:30   #9

Retarded both reduces power and increases waste heat. If extreme can also leave unburned fuel I believe.

Old 09-06-2014, 19:18   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

It does sort of sound like late timing. How many shims are under the injector pump. On mine, I've only one shim. I generally just listen to the injector popping while slowly turning the crank and note the location on the flywheel. If I remember right its one degree per shim, so you would need to remove 3 shims.

Overheating is generally cooling related. If you have the U bend discharge elbow, the area just inside the elbow where the water is injected tends to build up mineral buildup. Actually there can be mineral buildup in the 90 degree elbow on it. I use a small screwdriver and or bicycle spoke to break up the mineral deposits in both.

If there is mineral deposits, odds are there is mineral buildup at the exhaust hose side too.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar