Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2015, 11:16   #1
cruiser

Yanmar Impeller Help!

The raw water impeller in our Westerbeke genset exploded this morning, so we found a quiet cove to examine the mess only to discover that we don't have a spare.

I thought it would be wise to examine the Yanmar 100hp turbo raw water impeller since we have a 100 mile crossing scheduled for tomorrow, and it was replaced 200 hours ago on the same day as the genset. Glad I checked... It's a mess, looks like it's ready to come apart immediately.

I have several spares, but I can't figure out how to pull it out of the housing. I've tried pulling with needle nose pliers and prying with a screw driver, but it won't budge.

Can someone tell me the secret? It's splined on the inside with screw threads on the outside edge. We're kinda stuck here until I remove this thing, I can get at the impeller pretty easily with one hand. Right now, it's all taken apart, but I'm afraid to pull harder on the fins with the pliers in case they break off. Then I'll really be in a mess.

Here's a picture of the new impeller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	105569  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 11:34   #2
cruiser

Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

Here's what the problem looks like. I can only reach in with one hand to get at it.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	452
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	105570  
Old 18-07-2015, 11:43   #3

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Why worry about the old impeller? They come out a lot easier with a blade or three missing.
Old 18-07-2015, 11:45   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Try spraying the inside of the impeller with penetrating oil and let it sit for a while. Then try tapping on the outside edge of the impeller lightly. Then try removing it with the needle nose pliers. If that fails you may have to find a way to remove the pump so you can work on it in a better position. When you put the new one in coat the shaft with anti seize or even a waterproof grease.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 11:46   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Plus what four winds says.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 11:46   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you can only reach the pump with one hand could be tough. My SOP for stuck impellers is to get two screw drivers 180 apart and pry it out (don't forget to protect the side of the housing).

But no access is a problem.

Could you get vice grips in there around the center of the impeller. Locked onto the center of the impeller sticking out and then use a screwdriver to pry on the vice grips?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 11:57   #7

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Ken,
If you have a set of mechanical picks, you can use the 90 degree angle pick and it will fit between the vanes and allow you to get between the impeller and the impeller housing. Work it around the perimeter of the shaft underneath the impeller with a lifting motion and it should loosen the bond. Once loose, you should be able to use your needle nose pliers to finish the job. As others have suggested, some lubricant spray/penetrating oil beforehand will help. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 18-07-2015, 12:13   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I normally don't worry about the fins being torn while pulling out the old one. I often find that alternate tugs from opposide sides with a pair of needle-nose pliers works ok. I do notice that you're putting in the Johnson replacement. I've had success with these. I'll make a point to show this Globe impellor that failed miserably. I was disturbed that the center hub broke apart.

Old 18-07-2015, 12:13   #9
cruiser

I'll try the penetratin oil. I can only grab one side at a time with pliers.

The reason I need to go easy on the problem, is that I'm at a somewhat isolated cove 8 miles outside of the largest city in Elba, Italy. So I need to leave the option open of being able to motor or sail back into Elba, if it comes down to seeking a local mechanic on Monday. Hopefully, I can just take care of this myself. We have all the tools onboard.

Actually, I won't be going anywhere quickly without the motor, because I'm anchored in 80ft of water with 200ft of 12mm chain, so I definitely need either the motor or the genset to run the windlass to haul up over 400 pounds of ground tackle. It would take three hours to do it manually,

Ken
Old 18-07-2015, 12:39   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Hi Ken
Sorry you are having problems. The genuine Yanmar impellers have a screw on the centre boss. With the Yanmar supplied extraction tool (like two bolts) the impeller can be screwed out.

The non genuine impellers do not have this feature and they can be a bit of a bitch to remove.

I use these grips. Set the jaws so they are almost parallel to the central hub/boss. Grab the central boss and wriggle. It will come out.

Turning the engine over by hand with a spanner on the main crankshaft thereby rotating the impeller to a new position after each wriggle may help. It should also break the grip of the vanes on the pump body, but I have never found this necessary.

Do not be too concerned about damaging the impeller I have never managed to do this. The rubber is tough. I always replace the part anyway, but be careful of scratching/scoring the inside pump surfaces.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	223
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	105572  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 12:43   #11

Yanmar makes a clever revoval tool that screws into those threads. Is there a chance it's unnoticed at the bottom of your spares kit?

129671-92110 YANMAR IMPELLER BOLT

Here's a guy who made his own but that still won't help you in a secluded anchorage

Yanmar 4JH4AE Tips
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 13:15   #12
cruiser

Update

The penetrating oil has been applied.

The channel lock pliers have been tried, but I can't get a solid grip on the impeller now that it's oily. Plus the cramped quarters are an issue along with the starter motor and associated wiring being in the way.

I tried tapping the solid bronse part with the channel locks to loosen it up. No luck.

We've looked everywhere for the special pulling tool... Which would be very handy right about.... Now.

Still searching.
Old 18-07-2015, 13:19   #13

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Would having a bolt on it make it easier to pull?

If you have a spare Yanmar impeller you should be able to determine what bolt size can be screwed into it.

Once you get somewhere with a Yanmar dealer, I highly recommend the Yanmar puller. It makes it so much easier, but you do have to use Yanmar impellers.

Good luck.
Mark
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 13:53   #14
cruiser

Checked everywhere for the tool, nowhere and not on the original inventory list, so will order one soon. Great suggestion to find a bolt, now searching.

The Johnson impeller was what was in the original Yanmar replacement part package, so it does have the threaded ends for the tool.
Old 18-07-2015, 14:18   #15
cruiser

Giving up for tonight. I'm becoming convinced the extraction tool or a bolt is the only answer due to the other motor stuff that's in the way. I just can't get a set of jaws in there along with my hand. The starter motor, wiring, water hoses, water separator hose etc... something always in the way. With the Yanmar tool this would be easy, and would most likely only take ten minutes.

The fellow that replaced this for me last time, said it was difficult and showed me how to put on the new impeller, and I assume he completely destroyed the old one during removal. It would have been nice if he remembered to tell me he was using the last spare Weterbeke impeller when he replaced that one.

Sunday will be a treasure hunt trying to find a hardware store open in Italy via bicycle. Well, if we have to get stuck someplace for an extra day or so, we couldn't have picked a nicer cove.

Tags
yanmar