Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2015, 07:28   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

I saw those available on Amazon.com last night.
__________________

__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 07:51   #32
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,900
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

If you think removing the impeller is bad try the fuel injection pump on a 2006 72hp fuel injection model.

That has one bolt I just can't not figure out how to get a wrench on. Fortunately I was able to spin it with a hammer and chisel. Closed it the same way. Woooonderful!
__________________

__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 07:54   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle
Boat: Cal 40
Posts: 2,401
Images: 7
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Who ever installed that impeller did not get all the vanes going in the right direction. Must be a pretty hard job to get right in a tight space like that.
Why is there both an O ring and sillycone on the cover plate? Maybe time for a new O ring too?
Personally I would rip and tear at this point. There is nothing to loose. Like the mate said, fewer vanes the better.
I've never understood the worry about installing vanes the right way. Don Casey's article states what I've always believed would happen if the vanes are not right to begin with.

BoatUS – BoatTech – Replacing a Cooling Pump Impeller by Don Casey
It doesn't really matter which way you bend the vanes; they will arrange themselves on the first revolution of the pump.
__________________
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 09:00   #34
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I've never understood the worry about installing vanes the right way. Don Casey's article states what I've always believed would happen if the vanes are not right to begin with.

BoatUS – BoatTech – Replacing a Cooling Pump Impeller by Don Casey
It doesn't really matter which way you bend the vanes; they will arrange themselves on the first revolution of the pump.
Well Casey is wrong. There is no way they can re-arrange themselves on most pumps. Take a look at the pump in the picture..
Our temp is too high with even just 1 vane bent backwards in a Sherwood pump on a 4-107.
__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 09:04   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,057
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

I'm afraid Casey is right.
__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 09:08   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,057
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I saw those available on Amazon.com last night.
When you are installing, compress the splines with a large hose clamp to make things a little easier. It will be a tight fit. A spray of CRC or WD40 on the center of the impeller and inside of the pump will also help.
__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 09:22   #37
Registered User
 
bajatrawler's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pacific kept in La Paz, Mexico
Boat: Defever 38 trawler
Posts: 24
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

This also might be worth a try. Cut plastic from a milk jug or similar. Form into a cone, add hose clamp.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1437319348.939318.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	105607
__________________
bajatrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 17:06   #38
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,331
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Well Casey is wrong. There is no way they can re-arrange themselves on most pumps. Take a look at the pump in the picture..
Our temp is too high with even just 1 vane bent backwards in a Sherwood pump on a 4-107.
Suggest you take another look a look at the picture. There is only one vane facing the wrong way. The one at the 10 o'clock position. This pump rotates CCW looking from the position of the photographer. When the suspect vanes reaches the 9 o'clock position, it is able to fully extend and when it reaches 8 or 7 o'clock, it will be forced into the proper postion; unless of course, if the impeller is so old that it has lost its flexibility. New or serviceable impellers will orientate themselves just fine on these Johonson pumps.

In fact, these Johonson pumps are designed to rotate either way, all you need to do is swap the hoses around. Johonson even puts a notation on the cover to help one work it out!

Of course, your Sherwood pump may be quite different. I'm not familiar with them.

FWIW, clycerine is the best choice for lubricant on the common "rubber" impeller water pumps; especially if one is storing it away as a spare.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 18:26   #39
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Suggest you take another look a look at the picture. There is only one vane facing the wrong way. The one at the 10 o'clock position. This pump rotates CCW looking from the position of the photographer. When the suspect vanes reaches the 9 o'clock position, it is able to fully extend and when it reaches 8 or 7 o'clock, it will be forced into the proper postion; unless of course, if the impeller is so old that it has lost its flexibility. New or serviceable impellers will orientate themselves just fine on these Johonson pumps.

In fact, these Johonson pumps are designed to rotate either way, all you need to do is swap the hoses around. Johonson even puts a notation on the cover to help one work it out!

Of course, your Sherwood pump may be quite different. I'm not familiar with them
So I did take another look. I see at least 2 vanes going the wrong way. I also see that clearances in this pump is so sloppy that the vanes could go any old way. What a piece of junk. The clearance in a Sherwood pump are such that just about only the bulb on the end of the vane can fit past the cam. You could never fold a vane over and get past the ramp. If a vane is installed backwards, it will stay that way forever.
Guess this is an example of the more modern engineering of a Yanmar.
__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 20:21   #40
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,775
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Well Casey is wrong. There is no way they can re-arrange themselves on most pumps. Take a look at the pump in the picture..

Our temp is too high with even just 1 vane bent backwards in a Sherwood pump on a 4-107.

When the engine stops it rocks back a bit and will reverse one or two vanes....I've changed a lot of impellers on Sherwood, Johnson, oberdorfer, etc and have never seen one that a vane couldn't flop in. In fact if there is no room for the vane to stand up then there is no pumping action taking place.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 21:57   #41
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: WY / Currently in Hayes VA on the Chesapeake
Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Posts: 922
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Deja vu all over again.

Had a nearly identical situation. Westerbeke generator and Yanmar main engine. Replaced the genny impellor (15 minutes?) and then struggled over an hour with the Yanmar. Tracked down a mechanic who was working in the yard. He smiled at my dilemma, got a puller out of his truck, and removed the impellor in a couple minutes.

This is the tool:
I carry one of these also. Seldom needed but when it is it works. Used it on other boats more often than mine. A light smear of waterproof grease on the shaft before installing the new impeller works wonders.
__________________
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 22:21   #42
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
When the engine stops it rocks back a bit and will reverse one or two vanes....I've changed a lot of impellers on Sherwood, Johnson, oberdorfer, etc and have never seen one that a vane couldn't flop in. In fact if there is no room for the vane to stand up then there is no pumping action taking place.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
With a old worn out cam that might happen but with a new cam it can't happen. When was the last time you changed one of those?
__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 00:29   #43
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,331
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
So I did take another look. I see at least 2 vanes going the wrong way. I also see that clearances in this pump is so sloppy that the vanes could go any old way. What a piece of junk. The clearance in a Sherwood pump are such that just about only the bulb on the end of the vane can fit past the cam. You could never fold a vane over and get past the ramp. If a vane is installed backwards, it will stay that way forever.
Guess this is an example of the more modern engineering of a Yanmar.
I guess you have sharper eyes than me.

For the record, the pump shown in the OP second post is a Johnson pump. One tell tale is the "IN" notation on the pump cover.

I wouldn't describe Johnson pumps as junk but maybe others have a different view.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 03:55   #44
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

Cycled into town this morning, couldn't locate the tool but purchased an 18mm bolt and washer. Spent over an hour trying to yank the impeller out using the bolt, but could not get any leverage on it. So we raised the white flag of surrender and are heading into the shipyard so that the mechanic with the special extractor tool can perform his magic. It's impossible without either destroying the part or using the tool on this motor.

I've ordered the tool so this won't happen again. It would be so easy with the Yanmar tool, I would have been on my way yesterday.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 04:42   #45
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.
Posts: 10,619
Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

The impeller tool is probably the same for the 54hp, 75hp and 110hp as these are basically the same engine. Yanmar engines are popular. Most larger Jeanneaus for example seem to have one of these fitted.

Is there a boat you could borrow the tool from? They are included with the engine so most boats with this engine will have one on board.

Keep in mind the tool only works for genuine Yanmar impellers. The Johnson impellers that are otherwise the same part do not have the thread.
__________________

__________________
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
yanmar

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Farymann Diesel Impeller HELP!!! Seneca Chief Engines and Propulsion Systems 8 20-07-2015 14:08
2qm20 impeller help BurningDaylight Engines and Propulsion Systems 5 11-06-2015 16:42
Impeller replacement Yanmar 3JH2 wmgysi Engines and Propulsion Systems 1 30-12-2012 00:49
Yanmar 4jh2e Impeller Problem journey1 Engines and Propulsion Systems 8 12-08-2011 17:35
Yanmar Impeller Change boeing1 Engines and Propulsion Systems 16 21-02-2011 20:26



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:40.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.