Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2014, 11:17   #31

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'
Re: Yanmar has the shakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I have a 3JH4E also and it shakes like hell at an idle (brand new). But kick it up to 700 rpm's and it smooths out. That's one of the reasons I put in a Pythondrive, so the motor can dance all it wants and not affect the seals or tranny bearings.
Beautiful engine and engine-room, Del!

Can you tell me where you got your Python Drive and approx price? I think I need one!

Thanks,
Jack
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 11:28   #32

Quote:
At that time it had 150 hours but it still looks just as clean today.
Del, just HOW do you keep the engine so clean? I polish mine with a rag and a paintbrush, but there is always dust and stuff in the crevices that I can't get out.

Thanks for any tips!
Jack
Old 19-04-2014, 11:31   #33

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Yanmar has the Shakes

I know he had to make a bunch of parts and if I remember correctly new logs to make room for the python....much knashing of teeth and cussing of Yanmar but it worked out in the end. Ultimately a highly modified Choat, quite a performer...good chance he will make it all the way to the PI. If he gets the required nap time. Just kidding, getting old sucks.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 15:01   #34

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Way View Post
Beautiful engine and engine-room, Del!

Can you tell me where you got your Python Drive and approx price? I think I need one!

Thanks,
Jack
I got mine from Mike at M.S. Marine in Vancouver (Surrey). Give him a call at 604-591-6475. He may know a dealer on your side of the Island or he could sell you one.

You'll need to know your shaft size and engine/trany spects before you order.

But there is another unit called Aquadrive which is almost identical but has a better shaft coupler. I would have got the Aquadrive but it's slightly longer and I needed every fraction of an inch I could get. It's made in Sweden right next to Norway where the Pythondrive is made. I'd be willing to bet they are related.

Google both and see which is better for your setup. Knottybuoyz is also installing a Pythondrive.
Old 19-04-2014, 15:15   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Way View Post
Del, just HOW do you keep the engine so clean? I polish mine with a rag and a paintbrush, but there is always dust and stuff in the crevices that I can't get out.

Thanks for any tips!
Jack
Anything that is bare metal gets painted, including the motor mounts. If I use a wrench on a bolt it gets painted afterword.
If the motor is in storage mode, I spray it all over with WD-40. When I'm ready to run again I put down absorbent pads and spray it down with a can of brake cleaner.

The main thing is to stop any water leaks around the motor. And if you have a shaft seal that slings water, put a splash guard over to keep the mist off the motor. Paint is your best friend. Also if you use a vacuum and a clean paint brush you can keep those crevices clean.
Enjoy!
Old 19-04-2014, 15:28   #36

Re: Yanmar has the Shakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I know he had to make a bunch of parts and if I remember correctly new logs to make room for the python....much knashing of teeth and cussing of Yanmar but it worked out in the end. Ultimately a highly modified Choat, quite a performer...good chance he will make it all the way to the PI. If he gets the required nap time. Just kidding, getting old sucks.
Yep, I'll be 65 in a few more weeks. I just hope I've covered every possibility of a failure. But I'm sure Murphy will have his way with me.
Old 19-04-2014, 17:14   #37

Quote:
I got mine from Mike at M.S. Marine in Vancouver (Surrey). Give him a call at 604-591-6475. He may know a dealer on your side of the Island or he could sell you one.

You'll need to know your shaft size and engine/trany spects before you order.

But there is another unit called Aquadrive which is almost identical but has a better shaft coupler. I would have got the Aquadrive but it's slightly longer and I needed every fraction of an inch I could get. It's made in Sweden right next to Norway where the Pythondrive is made. I'd be willing to bet they are related.

Google both and see which is better for your setup. Knottybuoyz is also installing a Pythondrive.
Many thanks, Del!

I'll check out Aquadrive as well.

Fair winds,
Jack
Old 19-04-2014, 17:20   #38

Quote:
Anything that is bare metal gets painted, including the motor mounts. If I use a wrench on a bolt it gets painted afterword.
If the motor is in storage mode, I spray it all over with WD-40. When I'm ready to run again I put down absorbent pads and spray it down with a can of brake cleaner.

The main thing is to stop any water leaks around the motor. And if you have a shaft seal that slings water, put a splash guard over to keep the mist off the motor. Paint is your best friend. Also if you use a vacuum and a clean paint brush you can keep those crevices clean.
Enjoy!
Roger on keeping the water off and painting. My problem is mostly sanding/grinding dust getting into places I can't reach, no matter how well I cover the engine first. Never knew about the brake cleaner trick.

Thanks for the great advice!
Jack

Tags
yanmar