Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2008, 18:21   #1

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Yanmar flexible fuel lines

I have a 2gm20F and the rigid fuel pipe worked itself loose at the engine mounted filter and dripped down making a mess. Since I have to get dirty anyway, I'd like to replace those 2 fuel pipes for something flexible and would like to replace the factory filter with a see thru one. (or at least replace the bowl part on the stock one for a clear bowl.)

Has anyone made these mods and have any sources for parts?

Also, does anyone know any good reason why I shouldn't make this change?
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 18:43   #2

what 2 fuel pipes.
Don't you have a Racor upstream? theres no reason for a clear bowl on the engine then
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 22:28   #3

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
2GM FUEL FILTER

G'day Aquaholic,

Interesting -- as I am having issues with one of my 1GM'S (have 2 on a cat)
The port one is good but the stb one has fuel leaks from the bowl which I can retighten the banjos to fix for the next few hours. The one which is OK has a flex line from the filter to the injector pump & I now wonder if this was something Yanmar found was needed? Be mindful of putting extra filter ahead of the fuel pump as it should be after.I found out the hard way & had to fit an electric pump to fix that problem. It did turn out to be a good idea as it makes bleeding a lot easier & it allows the fuel to be filtered thru it & bypassed to the tank to keep fuel clean.I left the original filter in place but modified the filter top as the bleed screws were always stripping out. Not had any further systems fuel trouble now for several years except for the issue we both seem to share. Any one out there with like problems??
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 08:40   #4

NM, I am talking about the metal pipes with banjo fittings going to and from the secondary fuel filter. It is my personal conclusion that they become loose as a result of not being able to absorb vibrations like a flex line would.

As far as the see thru filter bowl, I do have a racor upstream but it is mounted low and behind the motor so its very difficult to inspect quickly. I want the other one clear because its right on top and easy to view.

Back to the fuel lines. If direct replacement flex lines are unavailable, I'm considering cutting off the ends of the pipes 1" from the banjo fittings and then replacing the middle section with high quality reinforced fuel line and double hose clamps on each end.

So, if I'm getting ready to do something really stupid (like blowing myself up) someone please tell me.
Old 27-11-2008, 08:43   #5

Bill, your situation confirms my belief that the rigid pipes are a leak waiting to happen.

Also, I am not adding a filter anywhere in the system. Maybe just replacing/upgrading the stock one.
Old 27-11-2008, 08:47   #6

I don't see were the hard lines are a problem. How often do you replace the crush washers? There is a clear bowl available from Yanmar. It's used on the industrial engines.
With the Racor upstream, I doubt you'll ever see water at the secondary filter.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:24   #7

I have only had this boat for two weeks so I have never replaced the crush washers. I notice the drip while doing oil change so I went to the Yanmar dealer and the shop chief said those fittings working loose and and leaking down the pipe is extremely common. Most people (including me) assume the fuel pump is shot because thats where it drips off. They gave me some oil absorbing cloth and said clean it all up wrap the cloth around the fittings and the ones that turn pink are the leakers. I did that and he was spot on. Its leaking at the filter only, but messing up the whole side of the motor as it runs.

I'm one of those guys that don't mind taking the time to do a job correctly, but I REALLY hate having to redo a job right away. I'll clean it up but I want it to stay like that and I think flexible lines will keep everything tight. Its the only dirty spot on this very clean motor.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:30   #8

replace the crush washer. it's a cheap fix. The lines should be bolted to the engine with a strap the the heat exchanger and the filter housing bolted. With everything hard mounted it's difficult to get different vibrations going
Old 27-11-2008, 13:26   #9

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
yanmar filters

Never Monday,
I've replaced the washers several times but the trouble still is there!!. The vibration also loosened the two mounting bracket bolts so there must be some issue.
regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 17:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
Never Monday,
I've replaced the washers several times but the trouble still is there!!. The vibration also loosened the two mounting bracket bolts so there must be some issue.
regards Bill
locktite is your friend for fasteners. Obviously something is wrong with your unit. With many thousand 1GM's in service. This is the first complaint I've heard of the fuel lines self loosening.
Old 27-11-2008, 17:46   #11
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
We have two 3gm's and have had the same problems with the fuel lines. I've replaced the banjo washers but it was only a temporary fix. I believe we have flex lines but will check tommorrow. A.J.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, yanmar