Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-02-2013, 05:51   #31

Location: back on Gold Coast after sailing north to Thailand then east to Pacific via Irian Jaya, PNG & Solomons
Boat: Tennant 47ft Catamaran
Re: Yanmar Engine Overheating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
Have similar access problem to my water pump on my Yanmar 3GM...to change impeller I remove entire water pump and then
change out impeller while sitting at settee like a human.
Highly recommend, as boat is new to you, follow additional advise in previous post (#16 bstreep) inspect and have heat exchanger cleaned.
Also besides replacing filters and belts, you really want to learn
to be comfortable bleeding your motor.
I agree. It is much more pleasant spreading your old water pump bits over your boat's dining table. The beer is closer as well if lubrication is required.
Speedseal is good BUT because the water pump housing faces to the front on the 3GM30 (at least on the older models, I think Yanmar has finally placed facing sternwards on new engines) the water pump is still inaccessible. Even if you undo the knobs of the speedseal while lying over your hot engine, you will find it very hard to lever out the old impeller and fold the vanes of the new one so it can be inserted.

Also I have installed Watchdog temperature sensors ENGINE WATCHDOG TM2, Engine Temperature Sensor and Low Coolant Alarm
that will give a digital readout and just need to be attached to a convenient bolt on the outside
of your engine. You soon learn what your "normal" operating temperature is and can forestall over heating problems.

Good idea to learn how to change oil and bleed your engine. re the latter, I have found that a outboard squeeze bulb in line before the prinmary filter is a great help in priming the system. The yanmar manual fuel lever pump is next to useless.

svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 16:58   #32

Boat: Carter offshore 35

I have a question on a 3GM30. Mine runs at 160 all day as long as I don't go over 2600 RPM as soon as I go to 2800 the temp moves up to 170 at 3000 it goes to 180-185 and when I max it at 3400 it shoots up to 190-200. Any ideas. Water flow is seems good new impellor, heat exchanger clear, And strainer clear.

Old 27-05-2013, 17:07   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm not sure that is atypical.... sounds pretty normal to me. The harder you work it the hotter it gets. I dont remember all the specifics for the ones I had but they ran 190+ at high rpm.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 17:25   #34

When it gets to 190 the alarm goes off. If you look at a car engine it stays pretty constant at any speed. If it didn't exceed 180 I could live with it.
Old 28-05-2013, 19:01   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Does you manual say what normal operating temp should be?

Let's see, the Yanmar book says thermostat full open at 185 degrees. You should be using a 13# cap and have about a 50/50 mix of antifreeze/water. Is your belt tight enough?

Car engine cooling systems are differnt. Mine doesnt stay the same, although it doesnt vary like a marine diesel. Going uphill on a really hot day with the AC on it will make the midway mark, In winter on level ground it is probably one eighth of an inch below that.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 21:44   #36

your car's temp gauge is not linear, as in that center position may have a 50 degree rang and not move, it only moves to hot when really hot so as not to bother you
Old 28-05-2013, 23:05   #37

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
I have a question on a 3GM30. Mine runs at 160 all day as long as I don't go over 2600 RPM as soon as I go to 2800 the temp moves up to 170 at 3000 it goes to 180-185 and when I max it at 3400 it shoots up to 190-200. Any ideas. Water flow is seems good new impellor, heat exchanger clear, And strainer clear.
You need a new thermostat. Pull the old one and it will be partially open while cold.
Old 01-06-2013, 17:23   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
When it gets to 190 the alarm goes off. If you look at a car engine it stays pretty constant at any speed. If it didn't exceed 180 I could live with it.
Check your water to coolant ratio. 50 coolant MAX. They sell testers cheap at auto parts stores. Too much means less cooling ability.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:14   #39

When an engine runs cold, it wears out faster. There is more friction metal to metal when cold and condensation in the oil captures acids formed from combustion byproducts. Check the thermostat because the temperature should come up to about 185 degrees Fahrenheit or 85 degree Celsius no matter what the engine RPM, which is the same as engine load for a boat.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:37   #40

The book says the thermostat is set at 165 degrees. I'm going to look at the anti-freeze I tend to go a little heavy on that had an engine freeze up once so always added a little extra just in case.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:29   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
The book says the thermostat is set at 165 degrees. I'm going to look at the anti-freeze I tend to go a little heavy on that had an engine freeze up once so always added a little extra just in case.
That can do it - we found out when we bought our boat that they had used 100% antifreeze!

By the way, my Mom grew up on Hooper's Island and went to high school in Cambridge. She's 92...
Old 03-06-2013, 10:04   #42

Quote:
I checked the service manual for a 4JH3-TE, http://www.sv-zanshin.com/manuals/yanmarservicemanual4jh3series.pdf . On page 3-27 it states that the thermostat is fully open at 90 degrees Celsius (194 degrees Fahrenheit) and just starts to open at 78.5 degrees Celsius (173.3 degrees Fahrenheit). A temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit would be that used for raw water cooling, no heat exchanger. Do not exceed 70% antifreeze or any less than 50%
Old 03-06-2013, 10:09   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilacarter View Post
Hello all -
New member here, and a new boat owner. Though I've been sailing for 7 years, I was only crew until my recent purchase of a Catalina 440. I'm hooked.
...What happens when I run the engine is that the temp gauge will climb up to be pegged, and then periodically bounce between 180 degrees (normal operating temp) and maxed...
A sticky thermostat, if it sticks closed, does not open to let temperature go back to 180 degrees, the engine will overheat and damage is very likely.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30   #44

Boat: Hylas 46
Could be a small amount of scale in the heat exchanger. It may be time for a descaling bath.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:48   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilacarter View Post
Hello all -
New member here, and a new boat owner. Though I've been sailing for 7 years, I was only crew until my recent purchase of a Catalina 440. I'm hooked.

...I have noticed a very small amount of red fluid in the catch basin underneath the engine (by small I mean about an ounce or less), that appears to be the same color as diesel engine coolant...
This could just be overflow from the expansion tank past the cap where you put coolant in. However, it could also be a hose or the seal on the pump that circulates coolant throught the engine. Need to check for leaks. Most likely what you are seeing is the quarter cup you added to the expansion tank. What happens is the coolant heats up and expands forcing some of it past the cap.

Tags
engine, overheating, yanmar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: