Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2016, 03:11   #1

Yanmar Drive Plate

I need to replace the drive plate between our Yanmar 4LH-TE and KM5A gearbox. The original Yanmar part (177074 03951) is very expensive but R&D do an alternative. However they quote two part numbers (48AD139 and
48AD102) stating that I need to measure the old plate.

'We make two dampers that will fit the 4LH, drawings attached. The installed length is either 29mm or 19mm.

Has anyone got experience (good or bad) of R&D drive plates?

Also has any one got an original drive plate hanging around that they could measure please?

We are crushing at the moment so I only want to remove the gearbox once!

Thanks in advance...
jacklill120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:18   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Yanmar Drive Plate

Removing the gearbox on a Yanmar is relatively easy and the transmission is light compared to other units. The KM4 transmission on my 4JH2E only weighed 38lbs. My 12 YO son could lift it into place. When you remove it just undo all the machine screws leaving the 2 bolts in place, then undo the nuts for those 2. just wiggle the trans off and set it aside. probably a 15 minute job all in.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklill120 View Post
I need to replace the drive plate between our Yanmar 4LH-TE and KM5A gearbox. The original Yanmar part (177074 03951) is very expensive but R&D do an alternative. However they quote two part numbers (48AD139 and

'We make two dampers that will fit the 4LH, drawings attached. The installed length is either 29mm or 19mm.

Also has any one got an original drive plate hanging around that they could measure please?

Thanks in advance...
R@D makes a good product, ive heard nothing but good about it. Sorry i have no experience with your type of aplication, im going to a huge salvage yard on tuesday and ill look into measurments for you (of he has any there)
bustylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 13:16   #4

Hi Bustylady.
I’m having the same problem as you did.with your Damper disk..
How did you solve it? Thank you
maldhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 14:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklill120 View Post

Thanks in advance...

It’s a tricky problem, your 4LHA is at the high end of the power/torque range for cruising yachts so the drive plate needs to be pretty good. I’ve replaced quite a few of the R&D polyurethane driveline components and they’re definitely not a perfect solution ( they fail safe.... but they do fail). The Vulkan option is worth exploring but it’s unlikely to be much cheaper than the Yanmar plate ( some 4LHA’s had Vulkan from the factory). What is important though, regardless of what brand drive plate you install, is to make absolutely certain that the damper hub spline is clear of the root of the drive shaft spline. Any pressure at that point will load up the crankshaft thrust bearing with potentially destructive results. Ideally careful measuring will rule out this possible mismatch but it’s just as easy to sling up the gearbox, put a layer of grease on the input shaft and do a dummy install, the grease will indicate how far or close the splines engagement is. Carefully inspect the splines for wear. If you go for the R&D or any of the aftermarket offerings make sure you keep the old Yanmar damper as a backup. I rebuilt a 4LHA during Covid and they are one expensive son of a gun for parts, 4 liners and 4 pistons cost me over $4000 AUD and I still had to buy the piston rings.
Oh , that gearbox is no lightweight at 46 kg and Yanmar even provided a lifting eye on the housing at the balance point so you don’t get tempted to try and lift it without a tackle.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar