Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2006, 03:35   #1
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Yanmar cooling question

I have a question on Yanmar 1GM10 cooling. I was down in my engine space checking for oil leaks after replacing one of the external oil lines on the 1GM10 when my eye caught movement around the rear of the engine where the transmission is bolted.

The movement was water... and it was dripping out of the back of the engine from what I have to call a "bell housing". The large cover on the rear of the engine to which the transmission is bolted. This cover has two slots in it, one on either side of the transmission. Raw water was coming out of the one on the right. I know this isn't a good thing.

Anyone come across this?

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:48   #2

Can you say "rot"
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:22   #3
cruiser

Pat,

I was afraid of that. Do I have any options?

Rick in Florida
Old 04-07-2006, 09:51   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
A post like "can you say rot" may not be helpful to you since these are metal parts and do not rot. However if your boat is a Yanmar with a saildrive then the problem is water intrusion in the lower unit. for this you need to remove the boat from the water and have the drives pulled to determine what needs to be done. There are several issues that can cause this problem but you do not want to run the boat until you determine what they are or even more damage can be done. If this is not a saildrive then it is difficult to say why you have water in the transmission bellhousing and not in the engine or transmission. A good Yanmar mechanic on site can help you more. Hope this is a bit more helpful.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 15:44   #5

Rick,
Hang on I'll get right back to you.

Chuck,
We have been nursing Rick thru several issues with his yanmars and a little hummor sometimes helps. If you don't get it sorry. Also, these engines do "rot-out" in salt water. Oh, follow this like for kicks http://www.mastry.com/dealers/mastry-gadealers.html

Rick,
I don't remember if you are saildrive or not. BUT there is a zinced mild steel freeze plug un the back of the engine. I think there is another behind the bell housing too. The bell housings are aluminum so you should be able to get them apart.
Here's a picture
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 17:27   #6
cruiser

Pat,

You really had me going with that last post. SWMBO and I were arguing all day about priorities, when I told her we needed a new boat engine, (thanks a lot (groan)).

These are twin inboards with the 2.21 KM transmissions and look just like the photo you posted. I'll take a look at that plug in the morning, I think it's right under the air cleaner. I double checked the oil this afternoon, no water in the oil and no oil in the cooling water.

The engine starts in 2 seconds and runs great for a 21 year old raw water cooled, single cylinder, diesel (I'm knocking on wood). And you're right, I am nursing them along as I use them less than 100 hours a year!

Rick in Florida

Tags
cooling, yanmar