Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 16:53   #1

yanmar alternator belt replacement

I have the new Yanmar 3YM AE which features a serpentine toothed belt no. 128990-77580.Can anyone tell me if there is an equivalent belt to the factory Yanmar belt , available at a more reasonable price
phildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 17:19   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: yanmar alternator belt replacement

Pretty sure it is a standard 6-ribbed K/PK profile belt.

Metric check 6PK995 or use that as a crossover to various brands. 6 = number of ribs, PK=rib style, 995=length (all the way around) in mm.

You can confirm the K/PK profile by measuring the ribs from peak-to-peak, should be 3.56mm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PK Profile.PNG
Views:	113
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	204710

[Edit] Also, note length is not an exact thing. You should have a bit of room for adjustment, so if you find one that is +/- 5mm from the stock original it will probably be OK. If you find you are always out at the furthest adjustment end then go slightly shorter, if you can barely get the belt off even at minimum adjustment then go slightly longer - added because a 990 or 1000 may be easier to find.[/edit]
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 17:55   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Many Yanmar belts are made in Japan by Mitsuboshi. If you belt is, then the Mitsuboshi p/n is often printed on the back of the belt.

Of course, yours may be different!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 20:31   #4

Thanks guys for your replies. They have been most helpful. I have become a little tired of paying triple the price for the official factory part when it is in fact a stock item
phildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 20:51   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildy View Post
Thanks guys for your replies. They have been most helpful. I have become a little tired of paying triple the price for the official factory part when it is in fact a stock item
As are the oil filter and raw water pumps parts (impeller, bearings, seals etc).

Presumably the engine mounted fuel filter is also a stock item but it isn't one I have tried to chase down.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:52   #6

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

I wonder if a good sized hardware store turnbuckle modified with a 2" length of 1/4" rod welded at each end (to fit the pulley groove) would work to adjust the space between pulleys?
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:39   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Wotname speaks with wisdom. No designer is going to design and manufacture an item when there is a stock item available. It's a fun game to find the stock items. For a Universal M25 baby diesel the throttle is available from Wetewrbeke for like $1,200, or from a heavy truck shop $150. The starter is similar - it's a Kubota off Amazon. A recent post dealt with a very fancy fuel filter - wow, there's a screw-on fuel filler on just about every outboard installation.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:27   #8

Boat: Outremer 50S

In my experience both Volvo and Yanmar use "standard" parts, but deliberately try to make them as non-standard as possible. Case in point is the OP's belt, both Volvo and Yanmar specify a belt that is xx5 in length, which is somewhat standard, but I've found most parts stores stock (in this size range) in increments of 10. So it may be very easy to find a 990 or a 1000, but not the "exact" 995 specified by Yanmar. Yes, they do exist, but not always in stock at the local parts place. I can't see any other reason than to make it that much more difficult to source alternative parts.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, men, yanmar