Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2016, 10:54   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Yanmar Alternator Belt Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm in the middle of replacing my alternator belts on our Yanmar 4JH3-HTE turbo diesel. Work came to a stoppage half way through when I noticed that the six spare belts were a different kind, but same size. The one pictured on the right is the type that came off the alternator (there are two), and the one on the left is what the spares look like. I have no idea which kind was originally on the engine. Is there a difference between the two types and their intended use, or are they basically the same? I'd of course replace both parallel belts with the same kind. But the question is which kind geared or solid?

Second question: When replacing two parallel belts on the same alternator, does it matter if one seems to be just a little longer that the other? A few millimeters, just enough so they don't tension the same. Both have the same part number from the same manufacturer.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

Ken
When replacing multiple belts change then all with a factory matched set. The make it short. I asked the engineer when we lost a belt, of five, on a PTO.
A 17 yr. old kid learnt something.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 11:22   #17
cruiser

Re: Yanmar Alternator Belt Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
When replacing multiple belts change then all with a factory matched set. The make it short. I asked the engineer when we lost a belt, of five, on a PTO.
A 17 yr. old kid learnt something.
After reading your post, I went back and double checked the serial numbers on the belts and packaging. I have a factory matched set of four pelts all with the same lot numbers. I also double checked the tension which now seems very equal using my finger gauge.

I'll look in the local stores tomorrow for the Krikit pressure gauge, if I can't find one here I have it in my Amazon shopping cart ready to order.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, yanmar