Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 00:43   #1

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Yanmar 54hp Repower Cost?

Over a month ago a thru hull failed and the boat took on a lot of water.
All thru hulls were replaced with marelon seacocks, cutless bearing replaced and the boat is ready to go back in the water, has been ready for 3 weeks, but the insurance company is being the usual.. you know helpful friendly people that they usualy are. Meaning they are dragging their heels.
meanwhile my perkins 4108 remains flooded.
Our marina will not let owners on board while hauled in their yard.

So I am wondering, if I had to replace the perkins with a yanmar 4JH4AE 53 HP what kind of costs would that be assuming my insurance agency refuses to pay?
Anyone repower lately? Just thinking out loud, wondering why I have nothing else to do until they get their act together, which should be any day now...... oh wait thats what I was told 2 weeks ago.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:13   #2

Boat: 41 Morgan OI, Loose Change
Bob,

I have just finished doing this very transplant on my boat. The Perkins to the Yanmar. I did all my own work but have a good idea what it would cost if you let a yard do it. A friend had his done at a local yard.

The Yanmar 4JH4AE cost me just under 9k. I ordered it at the Miami boat show and it was the best price I could find. The local dealer sells this engine for 13k and change.

Total cost for the swap out is just under 15k. This included a new shaft, exhaust system, all hoses and thousands of little side jobs we found along the way. The local yard did the same on a friends boat and the total bill includeing the engine was a little over 26k.

The worse part of the job was the exhaust system. The Perkins used a 2 1/2 inch system and the Yanmar a 3 inch system. You must upgrade the system to keep the warrenty good. I dont know how much room you have on your boat, but I had a real fun time running 19 feet of exhaust hose and modifying the aqualift for shaft clearance.

The job itself was pretty simple really. Take a look at these pages and it will give you a good idea if you chose to do it yourself.

Jesse Brett Marine Services Offers the Best Marine Electrical Service, Mechanical Troubleshooting, Computer Systems, Repair, Maintenance and Installation of Marine Systems in San Diego and Chula Vista.

BTW, so far, the engine is a fantastic improvment over the 4108. If you have any questions I might be able to help you with, send them on.

Steve
sailcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Bob, where is your boat?
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:51   #4

Sailcapt, thanks for that. My best guess was somewhere inbetween your numbers so.. guess I'm not that far off.

Bill I am at the Corpus Christi municipal marina. Boat is on the hard right now by the lift. Waiting on insurance to pay the first part, so we can drop it back in and get to work on the rest.
Engine may or maynot be salvagable. Don't know right now. But I am leaning towards a repower vrs a rebuild and pay the difference. The perkins was a good engine but now... who knows.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:16   #5

Boat: Young Sun 43 Ketch - Scotts' Mist
Hi Bob,

We changed from the perkins 4154 (if my memory serves me right) to the Yanmar 4JH3E a few years ago.

I'll echo Sailcapt's issues re the exhaust system. A real pest for a centre cockpit boat like ours but well worth the hastle in the long run. We did the repower ourselves since we wanted to do some rewiring/painting/resoundproofing etc. at the same time. We didn't add up the final cost but got the engine almost at cost from the dealer. Around £6000GBP. The hoses, hose clamps, thick gauge wire, racor filter housing etc.. all add up in cost. I reckon another £1000 or so.

Is the engine a straight drop in for you? We had to modify the engine bearers since the Yanmar is slimmer than the perkins. We bolted 2 steel plates (or "skis") to the bearers to bring them in a few inches then mounted the engine on to that. Hopefully you won't have the added hassle of that!

Also, you'll probably need a new prop since the Perkins turns the other way from the Yanmar. I think the Perkins is left handed and Yanmar right (looking at prop from stern). Don't quote me on that though!

Best of luck with the project.

Iain
iain_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 17:03   #6

Thanks all for the posts.

Couple of questions regarding the new yanmars. It comes stock with a 80 amp alt but says you can get a secondary 130 alternator as well. Anyone have this setup? Do they add another one on the other side or just swap out the 80 for the 140?

Also, since the Perkins has roughly 37 hp at the shaft I believe, in re powering, would it be better to go up to the larger 54 hp yanmar or the smaller 39 hp with a efficient prop?
Would it save much on cost, on fuel and weight...
I don't like the idea of using the main engine to charge batteries, don't and wont have engine driven refrigeration, but might use engine drive for a water maker in the future.
Would also like a damage control pump on the engine as well. but if I was using that, I would probably not be motoring... just pumping.

I like the idea of a smaller leaner engine. Just don't want to under power it.

Thanks
Bob
Old 12-06-2009, 17:46   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to JHJensen
Yanmar rebate program

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
Over a month ago a thru hull failed and the boat took on a lot of water.
All thru hulls were replaced with marelon seacocks, cutless bearing replaced and the boat is ready to go back in the water, has been ready for 3 weeks, but the insurance company is being the usual.. you know helpful friendly people that they usualy are. Meaning they are dragging their heels.
meanwhile my perkins 4108 remains flooded.
Our marina will not let owners on board while hauled in their yard.

So I am wondering, if I had to replace the perkins with a yanmar 4JH4AE 53 HP what kind of costs would that be assuming my insurance agency refuses to pay?
Anyone repower lately? Just thinking out loud, wondering why I have nothing else to do until they get their act together, which should be any day now...... oh wait thats what I was told 2 weeks ago.
Bob, I don't know if the following will help. It came across my desk this afternoon:
Boating Industry
Friday June 12, 2009
ADAIRSVILLE, Ga. – Diesel engine provider Yanmar Marine USA Corp. has introduced the Yanmar Instant Rebate on repowers, saving boaters up to $1,700 per engine, it reported in a recent statement.

"We're happy to announce our own stimulus package in the form of an instant rebate for retail repower engine sales between June 8 and August 31," said special projects manager Greg Eck. "The plan is to give a pleasure boat customer who is thinking about repowering a reason to act now."

To take advantage of the program, boaters visit their local Yanmar dealer and repower with a new Yanmar engine between now and August 31, 2009. The rebate will be deducted from the final invoice, the company explained.
Every repower engine qualifies for the Yanmar Instant Rebate. Per engine, owners can save $200 on the YM Series, $300 on the JH Series, $500 on the BY Series, $700 on the LP Series, $1,000 on the LY Series, $1,300 on the CX Series and $1,700 on the SY Series, Yanmar stated. This rebate is only available through participating Yanmar dealers/distributors in North and South America.

Good luck in getting back in service!

John
NTSB Trained, Marine:Surveyor, Educator
ABYC Master Technician (Certified:Corrosion, Diesel Engines, Yacht Sytems, ABYC Standards)
Old 12-06-2009, 20:33   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I have seen a number of boats fitted with additional alternators.

I saw one Yanmar 4JH-TE fitted with two alternators, refrigeration and 1.5 inch Jabsco crash-pump. The customer(I was working for a yard then) had a custom machined
pulley for the front of the engine. Keep in mind there was also the fresh and raw water pump funning off the front of the engine.

I gave my opinion that this boat would smoke and would not be able to get out of it's own way.....no body listened because this guy had $$$ not brains.

He was going to sail around the Carribean.

The boat has never left the Chester-peake.

Bottom line is this.....all of these add-ons take horsepower......have you ever listened to your car engine when the air-conditioning cycles on?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 04:30   #9

John thanks for that, haven't heard of that yet. 300 off a new engine, I'll take that.

Chief you are of course entirely correct. Except I have to wonder how much is to much.
Meaning, is it "better to go to the next hp rating knowing that you will have the extra power, but also understanding that it encurs a weight penality, increased fuel usage and larger size, or stay within parameters and accept that sometimes you might be a bit underpowered when using all those add ons.
Also I want to use a maxprop or a kiwi to tune the engine to the prop, which might make it doable.
Understand I am just trying to understand which would be the better way.
My gut says get the biggest engine that will fit.
Old 15-10-2009, 14:09   #10

Boat: Bowman 46
Steve,

I have an aging, leaking, over heating and blood pressure increasing 4-108 in my 28,000 lb fin-keel sloop. Could you give me more info as to how the Yanmar beats the old Perkins? I'm considering changing to either a 4JH4ae or a Volvo D2-55. Have you ever wished you had bought the 4JH4-TE instead?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Bowman Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 15:10   #11
Eternal Member

Do some simple research. Get the dimensions of the engine and its' mounting footprint.

Look at the location of things like filters, waterpumps, heat exchangers etc and compare them with the access you currently have in your engine compartment.

I don't know about other areas...but Volvo parts are very high around here.
e.g. a set of injectors for a MD 2003 are almost $900.00 and that is MY cost.

I vote for Yanmar or a rebuild of your Perkins. www.tadiesels.com ask for Sherri
Old 15-10-2009, 18:29   #12

Boat: 41 Morgan OI, Loose Change
Steve,

I am very happy with the 4jh4ae engine. It has plently of power has has no problem pushing the 30k lbs of boat around at hull speed. It sure is quieter then the Perkins. As for the turbo, no, I think I made the right choice for my type of cruising. I feel that the turbo is a great way to increase power, but it is just wasted on my boat. It can only go so fast, and it does that speed with little effort. Besides, why make it more complex then it has to be? I am the one that gets to pull it apart if it goes south.

Steve
sailcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 19:53   #13

I chose to go with the perkins rebuild.
A new yanmar was going to cost at least 5-8K more once everything is taken into account.
Bigger exhaust being one of the problems.
I would have liked to replace the perkins, but truth is, its a great engine, uses less fuel, and has plenty of power for most applications.
If you have the extra cash, go with it, but be aware that it will mount up. Its not just the cost of the engine.
Bob
Old 15-10-2009, 21:09   #14
Eternal Member

Your last line is well remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
I chose to go with the perkins rebuild.
A new yanmar was going to cost at least 5-8K more once everything is taken into account.
Bigger exhaust being one of the problems.
I would have liked to replace the perkins, but truth is, its a great engine, uses less fuel, and has plenty of power for most applications.
If you have the extra cash, go with it, but be aware that it will mount up. Its not just the cost of the engine.
Bob
In a perfect world there would be a fool proof drop in....there are some that are pretty darn close...This is where it really pays off to be knowledgeable....I have seen some "installations" that went way over the buyers expectations.....That's why when I do one, I give a "not to exceed estimate" nothing pisses off a boat owner more than a yard that comes back to them for "more money to finish the job."
Old 15-10-2009, 22:47   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I replaced my Perkins 4108 with a Beta 50hp, and it was a pretty easy fit. Had to build up the engine bearers by 1 3/4", but the exhaust size did not need to be increased. Beta recommended their 37hp, but I think the 50hp will add to the resale value of the boat. A 100 amp alternator with serpentine belt was a factory option.

Total cost was about $16,000, with new hoses and soundproofing and me doing the install, but Beta prices may have come down with the weaker British pound.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower, yanmar