Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 13:42   #16

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Yanmar 4JH4AE fuel filter replacement

The FS1000 is a 10 micron filter and the FF5320 is a 2 micron filter.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 15:35   #17

Boat: 82' Catalina 30 Mark 1

I had the same thing happen to me. Found out it was the electric fuel pump. All my filters were fine too.

You could tap a small wrench on top of the pump and it would work fine, but you need a hand. One person to keep tapping the pump, and another to steer the boat.

I now carry a spare pump, but they will always fail when least expected.

So next time, just try tapping your fuel pump when the engine goes out. l learned this trick from a sea tow guy who was also a mechanic years ago.

As for fuel filter set ups, my two cents worth: 2 mic on a primary fuel is way too small.
Darrel
darrelweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 17:58   #18

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42DS

Kmacdonald - I like your approach with the fleetguard filters. I’m heading back to the boat in 2 weeks. Will see if there’s room for them. They’re much cheaper than the racor and available everywhere. Have one on my motorhome.

Thought about the suggestions for a small 12v pump for priming. Will probably go with a hand pump like on my fishing boat outboards. Simple, but effective.

The return line currently goes back to the first filter on the second input. After reading up on the purpose of return lines, I’ll see if there is a way to plumb it back to the tank, but realize it will likely go back to a second input on the fleetguard base.

Great input from all - Thank you!
Old 04-12-2018, 18:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillard View Post
Kmacdonald - I like your approach with the fleetguard filters. I’m heading back to the boat in 2 weeks. Will see if there’s room for them. They’re much cheaper than the racor and available everywhere. Have one on my motorhome.

Thought about the suggestions for a small 12v pump for priming. Will probably go with a hand pump like on my fishing boat outboards. Simple, but effective.

The return line currently goes back to the first filter on the second input. After reading up on the purpose of return lines, I’ll see if there is a way to plumb it back to the tank, but realize it will likely go back to a second input on the fleetguard base.

Great input from all - Thank you!
There is some good info here: https://www.sbmar.com/category/artic...ms-filtration/
I use a squeeze bulb for priming.
The NAPA filters are made by Wix and are very good and available just about anywhere.
Old 04-12-2018, 18:10   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelweb View Post
As for fuel filter set ups, my two cents worth: 2 mic on a primary fuel is way too small.
Darrel
It is for most engines but why not? It doesn't take any more to screw on a 2 micron filter than a 10 micron filter or any other filter for that matter. With the large screw on filter they will last for years if behind a 10 micron filter.
Old 04-12-2018, 19:41   #21

To keep the 2 micron discussion going another round, I think the oft repeated advice from engineers to use 30 micron or 10 micron fuel filters in a Racor 500 primary is likely correct for fuel gulping planing powerboats but may not be such good advice for sailboats with small engines jammed in inaccessible places.

On my boat, using of the 2 micron filter in the Racor means the secondary filter will never foul at sea as it is 5 micron - eliminating a major personal safety risk caused by the location and terrible design of the Yanmar 4JH4 secondary fuel filter housing and my engine compartment. Changing this filter at sea requires hanging over a hot engine disconnecting water sensor wires and fiddling with tiny screws. Fuel is always spilled. In contrast, the Racor 500 is easy to reach and takes 5 minutes to change with no tools or fuel spillage. I'd gladly change 10 Racors to save changing one of the Yanmar filters.

In 1500 hours of running with 2 micron filters I have never had the slightest sign of fuel starvation. It's likely because:

My engine draws just 2gph from a Racor 500 filter with enough surface area to handle 60gph.

I preventively change the $10 Racor filter at each 200 hour oil change. At this point only 400 gallons of diesel has gone through the filter.

And for belts-and-suspenders -- I have dual Racors allowing instant switchover and a pressure gauge to monitor.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 19:45   #22

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelweb View Post
I had the same thing happen to me. Found out it was the electric fuel pump. All my filters were fine too.

You could tap a small wrench on top of the pump and it would work fine, but you need a hand. One person to keep tapping the pump, and another to steer the boat.

I now carry a spare pump, but they will always fail when least expected.

So next time, just try tapping your fuel pump when the engine goes out. l learned this trick from a sea tow guy who was also a mechanic years ago.

Darrel
Perhaps over kill. But the aircraft way to handle electric boost pump failure is to have 2 running in parallel. When one fails the other is happily still providing pressure to the system.
However I have seen things looking normal with one failed unknowingly. The 2nd one then fails. Ooops this is not the design philosophy.
Start up checks individually turning the pumps off looking for a pressure drop will help find this issue sooner.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:27   #23

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I use a Fleetguard FS1000 followed by a Fleetguard FF5320.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2018, 15:53   #24

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I suggest you check that all your fuel line runs are clear. I found a horizontal run from tank to first filter clogged with bacterial sediment that accumulated over ten years to clog the line. Now I regularly use Biobor JF to keep the fuel clear.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:35   #25

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m

I fully agree with DeepFrz and OneWadd. If your filters itself are clean and not clogged , check the intake tubes in the fuel tank. A gelly substancy may have been built up and completely close your inlet. So blow from the fuel filter towards the fuel tank and inspect the inside of the fuel tank. Eventually pump out and clean the whole content. Every fuel station will have different fuel. Does that station is frequently visited and do have a lot of fuel turnover?If not I do not fuel up there. If I have need fuel I get fuel from a larger fuel station nearby.

Filters: Follow the specifications of the engine supplier. And use their (branded) filter. But their lab has investigated the filter(s) to be applied for that specific engine or engine family.
Other filter-resellers just sell a filter with an unknown and unsure quality, and not for a certain application.
Filtration is a very complicate field of engineering.
A filter indicating 10 micron does not mean anything. A good filter of a certain make should indicate f.i. 17/15/12 acc. ISO Norm 4406 and with a so called Beta- value (stands for filtration efficiency). Or rely on your engine manufacturer, who garantees for their engines. So be carefull what you are doing or buying.

Be aware that in a fine filter of 17/15/12 there are huge amounts of particals in there. Something like 100'000 particles > 4 micron, 24'000 > 6 micron, and 3'000 > 16 microns in every 100 ml (glas full). And you won't see these particles with your eyes.

Also the perfectness of the production of the filterelement play an important role. Is the material universe, is the material glued correctly at the seams. Is the cover fixed tight a.s.o. If a cheap make results in a good filtration is the unanswered question.
This is of course also valid for your oil filter.
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 20:24   #26

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42DS

So, a bit of follow up to my original post is due.

This last weekend, I motored out of the harbor with no issue. Engine running fine. Sailed all day in vigorous conditions.

Motoring back to the entrance to the harbor, the engine quit again. Would not restart. Sailed out to a safe anchorage and went to work on the fuel system.

Had a squeeze type priming bulb with me this time so I put it in line between the primary filter and the fuel pump. Pumped it a couple times and it stayed collapsed! The blockage had to be between the fuel pickup Or in the primary filter. Took the primary out and had just an empty canister and the blockage was still there. I reversed the fuel pickup line and the return line (read somewhere the return goes into the tank a bit). Reprimed the system and the engine started and ran like a champ!

Got back to my slip and removed the fuel pickup tube. Turns out there is a small stainless grill covering the pickup. Reading multiple reports in cruisers forum where leaving harbor in calm conditions, engine runs fine. Sail all day and crud in the tank gets stirred up and then clogs the small stainless screen.

Decided its it’s dumb to have a filter in a place where it cant be serviced, so I took it off the pickup tube. Took the opportunity to replace all my fuel lines, got rid of the primary under the bed and added a new Racor system in the engine compartment. Additionally, I have a separate fuel tank for my genset, so I ran another line to a 3 way valve and now I can switch between tanks to power my main engine.

Eventually, I will need to get the fuel in the main tank low enough so I can clean the 10 years of crap out of it.

But it for now, I have an accessible primary with a clear window to see accumulated crap as well as a backup source for fuel shoul the primary clog again.
Old 19-12-2018, 22:37   #27

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I have a 4JH4E..... replaced the racor 110a with a 500 and use a 30 micro filter..... we all have our preferences. Unlike what one poster said, the racor 500 is easy and clean to change filters even at sea (never had to knock on wood).
As was mentioned prior I would first check your tank vent and make sure no critters got in and blocked it..... mud dinners love those vent fittings! Also blow back your fuel line to tank to make sure pick-up is clear.
Regarding your fuel return,the first stop for mine is to the secondary engine mounted filter.... top fitting, however the fuel is then routed back to tank.... I would be shocked if that wasn’t the case with yours as well....
In any event, good luck!

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 23:29   #28

Boat: Catalina 470

I think many underestimate the amount of dirt that accumulates in their tanks over time.

I have had two friends this year that have fuel pick up and line/ filter blockages due to years of accumulation of "little amounts of dirt"that comes from what appears to be clean fuel. This caused them quite alot if stress due to where they were and where they had to go.

I believe the west marine type filters aren't fine enough to be effective long term.

Keeping my engine running is very important to me, I'm often in places where help is not available.

I always fill from jerry cans and everything goes through a 10 micron racor. I've put together a little portable fuel polisher, pump and racor and pump all fuel through the racor. Ive seen what looks like clean fuel dirty the filter.

Better to stop it getting into the tank in the first place.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter, men, yanmar