Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2014, 07:15   #46

Boat: SESSA 42HT MOTORYACHT
Unhappy Re: Yanmar 4JH4AE catastrophic breakdown experience

Hi very sorry to read about your insurance not responding. It makes you wander what are we actually insuring? I dont trut insurances but what can you do?
I was told by my Volvo mechanic that we should always keep using the engines even on a mooring so that the engine gets lubricated by the circulating oil to stop parts becoming rusty. This happened to my generator recently where one valve rusted and there was no compression. It cost a bit to repair and this is after I was starting it regularly!!

I try to run all equipment on a monthly basis.

Sorry this does not help you with the ins but it may help others.
all the best and good luck.
captpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 07:57   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Yanmar 4JH4AE catastrophic breakdown experience

Insurance is confusing, most of us don't expect it to cover a mechanical breakdown. For instance if while flying today my crankshaft breaks, I wouldn't expect insurance to buy me a new engine, not sure why but I wouldn't.
But if I total the airplane after trying unsuccessfully to land after an engine failure, I expect insurance to cover that.
I don't know what the difference is, but there is a difference.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 08:15   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Insurance is confusing, most of us don't expect it to cover a mechanical breakdown. For instance if while flying today my crankshaft breaks, I wouldn't expect insurance to buy me a new engine, not sure why but I wouldn't.
But if I total the airplane after trying unsuccessfully to land after an engine failure, I expect insurance to cover that.
I don't know what the difference is, but there is a difference.
Velocity at impact....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 15:18   #49

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

I also, currently have a Yanmar, out of a John Deere in my daughter's Mazda B2000. It was used but runs like, well, a Deere. Anyway, I also own an American motorcycle, that the factory has a 1 year drop dead warranty. My imported from Mexico 3500 pickup, with a diesel only has 100,000 mile warranty on a million mile drive train. Once it's paid for, "What Warranty.?" Just saying... No interest payment equals no interest in one's satisfaction...
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:26   #50

Boat: Beneteau 43

Here's my update: My insurance company assigned a second surveyor due to the inconsistencies of the first surveyor's report. Second surveyor has sent the head to a metallurgist for analysis. In the meantime, my mechanic contacted the regional Yanmar rep in NJ and was told that they cannot sell him just the block, and quoted him a full retail price on a new engine. No trade-in values, no consideration for the circumstances (remember, this engine is less than 130 hours). Total repower cost is in excess of $16K! I sent a copy of my original post to Yanmar. Their response: a cease and desist letter from their lawyer! So disappointing....
eisselhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:38   #51

Eric, very sorry for this turn of events, been around the Yanmar products for a long time and have witnessed rather great support and service from them, this is not characteristic of them in addition the price sounds wildly high. Hope you can get some headway with your insurance company.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:42   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I'm assuming yanmar's c&d applies to this forum. Luckily is still free speech, for the most part. Don't you love the warm fuzzys from yanmar.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 13:32   #53

Boat: Outbound 44

A cease and desist letter from their lawyer. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound.
Old 05-03-2014, 14:10   #54

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

Hi - you want to keep dealing with your insurance carrier as they are the ones you have a written contract with.

You want to claim that the engine (head) had a "latent defect" in it, which the metallurgist should be able to verify. No valve seat should drop in only 130 hours of operation.

From all the insurance policies that I use to work with a "latent defect" claim covered the cost of all repairs EXCEPT for the part that actually failed due to the latent defect.

Since the entire engine has been compromised/destroyed from the results of the defect, you should get a whole new bobtail engine plus the cost of removal and installation of the engine(s).

The insurance carrier will then go after Yanmar seperately (you will not be involed) to recover the costs involved.

As people have mentioned, you really have to know how to read an insurance policy to know what it really says. You may need to get an attorney involved, but for $16K it is worth it.

Some policies will even cover the cost of you hiring an attorney, especially if "bad faith" is involved in the handling of your claim.

You may want to speak with the metallurgist since he has probably been an "expert witness" in similiar legal cases and may know a really good, sharp attorney who has dealt with these types of claims.

Don't forget to turn the bill for the metallurgist into the insurance carrier - they are on the hook for that too.

Good luck.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:30   #55

Boat: Beneteau 43

OP Update.

So, my insurance company commissioned a 2nd survey of the damage, and that guy sent one of the valves and valve springs to a metallurgist for review. The metallurgist determined that the spring under examination had rusted, and subsequently failed. He did not comment on why all of springs failed at the same time. In any event, the insurance company again declined to cover the loss.

My lawyer is willing to sue for free. Stay tuned.
eisselhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:49   #56

Boat: grampian 26

I'm sure that if the Adjuster found a dead fly under the rocker cover they would use that as justification for denial of the claim, it's what they do. The fact that the valve seat failed on an engine that is barely broken in and has never seen a wrench sounds to me like the engine was assembled on hangover Monday or TGIF.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:53   #57

Out of curiosity did you see any rust, kinda hard to believe given the oil shower it stays in?

Good luck with your lawyer, not too many do anything for free, hope he is a good one!
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 13:25   #58

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Diesels, insurance companies, and lawyers, how could it get any worse? politicians?
You have my sympathy.
Old 08-04-2014, 13:59   #59

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
Eric, very sorry for this turn of events, been around the Yanmar products for a long time and have witnessed rather great support and service from them, this is not characteristic of them in addition the price sounds wildly high. Hope you can get some headway with your insurance company.
You must be on a different planet than me. My experience with Yanmar is that they couldn't care less if their products are crap. I've called them about a number of problems with my yanmar products. I've literally been told "So, that happens" when I called regarding oil seals wearing out a pilot shaft in less than 100 hours. Less than 100 hours and less than one year on the part and they would not replace it. If they were an auto company the government would be raking them over the coals and making them do recalls. When it comes time to repower I'll be buying Beta. I've only had one company that I've ever had to deal with that was worse and it was a 1 man operation, not a major corporation.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 14:25   #60

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisselhardt View Post
OP Update.

So, my insurance company commissioned a 2nd survey of the damage, and that guy sent one of the valves and valve springs to a metallurgist for review. The metallurgist determined that the spring under examination had rusted, and subsequently failed. He did not comment on why all of springs failed at the same time. In any event, the insurance company again declined to cover the loss.

My lawyer is willing to sue for free. Stay tuned.
So why isn't the damage to the engine beyond the rusty spring covered as consequential damage -- a term I believe is directly noted as covered in your policy?
Was the engine left for an extended period and not run? Was this the probable cause of the rusting?

Thanks for the update.

Tags
enc, yanmar