Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-10-2009, 16:47   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If you bought a new Yanmar in the crate...the manual should have come with it...at a yard (which will remain anonymous) they would pinch the manuals and charge separately for them.

Old 10-10-2009, 23:25   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Yeah, it came with two books. One is a 20 page "Limited Warranty Handbook".
And the other "Operation Manual" is 139 pages for four different motors that covers safety (to page 12), how to read the labels and gauges (to page 27) and other useless stuff the average Joe sailor should already know.

It does have a wiring schematic, maintenance schedule and specifications for all four motors, which basically breaks it down to about 30 pages, each, of very little info all mixed together, that I had to hi-lite to keep'm separate.

It would have been nice if they supplied the required sizes for the water inlet and exhaust as well as other installation recommendations rather then having to assume everything by measurements and educated guesses. I guess they assumed that only professionals would be installing theses motors.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 22:11   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
In the manual it should say something about a kingston cock (seacock)

As far as inlet you make it the size of the intake on the water pump.

Exhaust(this is muy importante) must be the size of the exhaust outlet.

If your exixting exhaust hose is smaller....DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE IT....!!!!!

I worked in a boatyard...I tried to tell the "mechanic" who was doing the install that he had to upsize the exhaust.....he told me to shut the %$#% up "I know what I'm doing!!!!" I'm not gonna change that hose...do you know what kinda run that is???
I said yup.....you are gonna have a real smoker.....he did have a smoker all right....
He tried to blame it on the engine.....(Yanmar).....Shortly there after I went into business for myself and haven't looked back.

BTW you can get manuals on eBay on CD.....I paid about $19.00 for mine....It sure beats greasy pages.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:33   #19

Boat: Peterson 46
Ok. It looks like all the advice I would or could look for has been said. One question - sometimes if the oil filter is cranked on far too tight and she may overheat when under stress - high revs. Just have a look at it anyway. I have had this happen on a volvo, not on my Yanmar though.
Old 12-10-2009, 13:22   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
In the manual it should say something about a kingston cock (seacock)

As far as inlet you make it the size of the intake on the water pump.

Exhaust(this is muy importante) must be the size of the exhaust outlet.

If your exixting exhaust hose is smaller....DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE IT....!!!!!

............BTW you can get manuals on eBay on CD.....I paid about $19.00 for mine....It sure beats greasy pages.
Yep! That what I ment by educated guesses. But I have yet found anything about the maximun angle the motor can set at. My woods are at 12 degrees so it should be OK. most motors state 15 degrees.

What gets me is some of the design decissions, like a sheetmetal oil pan or the oil drain system, where you have to pull the dipstick tube and then have to replace the copper gaskets.
They also have a plug in the side of the block where it looks like a shorter dip stick could go but they use this long ass stick that would be hard to pull out in a tight space.

And to put in a vented loop between the heat exchanger and the exhaust mixer is so tight (about 2") they should have built in a system that could be attached easily. They are not even in line. I'll post a picture later.

If'n I'd known about all this BS I would have considered a different make.

It seems one has to carry lots of extra parts if your going off shore for any amount of time. They should come up with a 100 hour, 500 hour and 1000 hour kits that one can just buy and carry along, like with air compressors.
Hummm! Maybe I should start selling them?

The part that really gets me is the supplied hand crank oil discharge pump with no instructions on how to hook it up or even a fitting to hook it up, I assume at the dipstick fitting. But how without spilling a bunch of oil?
As they say "Necessity is the Mother of Invention".

Til' later....................._/)

Old 12-10-2009, 19:06   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, here it is, the spot where the vent loop needs to go. not much room, ehh.

I think I figured out this oil pump thing. The hose for the pump actually fits over the dipstick tube but I'll need to deburr the edges of the tube. It wants to cut/shave the inside of the hose.

And here's the plug where it looks like a dipstick was suppose to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mixertube.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	10432   Click image for larger version

Name:	oilpump.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	10433  

Click image for larger version

Name:	dipstick.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	10434  

Old 20-07-2010, 12:09   #22

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM
just a note in Yanmar's defense as a boat owner with 2 different yans, the 2GM20F and the 3JH4E;

yanmar has an 'INSTALL'manual for its engines that specifies seacock size, maximum fore/aft degrees of slant, etc. If your mechanic does not have one s/he should not be installing your engine..Yan also sells a Service manual and a PArts manual for each engine which are very good and well written manuals that will answer all of the above questions. (they are NOT shipped FOB with each engine, you ahve to pay for them. a shop that does a lot of installs will have them. a shop that's never done an install probably won't.do yourselves a favor and buy the s ervice manual and parts manual for your engine. Ask for the 'Minor Spares Kit' description (which has impeller, thermostat, alt belt ) and Major Spares (injectors etc.) and decide which ones you should have on your boat.

i love my yanmars and have ahd great support from my distributor NIEMEC MARINE new bedford MA and MACK BORING, east coast distributor. MACK BORING service and parts guys will give good advice on what parts you actually need for your 'minor spares' or ocean voyage trips.

fair winds to you.
Old 29-12-2016, 02:01   #23

Re: Yanmar 4JH3-TE Overheating at Full Load

Was the reason for the overheating ever found? A friend of mine has exactly the same problem on 4jh3 dte
Thanks a lot
Fchurtic
Old 29-12-2016, 17:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchurtic View Post
Was the reason for the overheating ever found? A friend of mine has exactly the same problem on 4jh3 dte
Thanks a lot
Fchurtic
Original thread from 2010... Probably not going to get an answer from the OP.

Lots of things to check for causes of overheating.
- impeller missing one or more blades.
- fouled propeller/boat bottom our improperly pitched prop.
- fouled heat exchanger.
- restricted water flow due to clogged exhaust elbow.
- bad thermostat.
- insufficient coolant in engine and/or airlock in water heater coolant circuit.

What have you checked so far?
Old 29-12-2016, 17:20   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchurtic View Post
Thanks a lot
Fchurtic
From another thread, I think Charlie's not totally sure what the exact problem was, but after a flush and change of old coolant, it correct itself.

There are MANY factors in overheating and one just needs to go through the process of elimination starting with the thruhull right up thru the exhaust system. Then onto mechanical resistances.

Old 29-12-2016, 17:27   #26

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Yeah, it came with two books. One is a 20 page "Limited Warranty Handbook".
And the other "Operation Manual" is 139 pages for four different motors that covers safety (to page 12), how to read the labels and gauges (to page 27) and other useless stuff the average Joe sailor should already know.

It does have a wiring schematic, maintenance schedule and specifications for all four motors, which basically breaks it down to about 30 pages, each, of very little info all mixed together, that I had to hi-lite to keep'm separate.

It would have been nice if they supplied the required sizes for the water inlet and exhaust as well as other installation recommendations rather then having to assume everything by measurements and educated guesses. I guess they assumed that only professionals would be installing theses motors.

Actually they do supply the sizes. I just installed a 4JH2E (rebuilt) in my boat and the service manual lists the water intake as 25mm ( 1inch) and exhuast as 75mm (3 inches) look at the engine schematics for the info. my install has a 1.5" thruhull connected to the sea strainer with the outlet reduced to 1" then plumbed to engine. If you currently have a 3/4" seacock connected to the engine, I would bore out that same thruhull to at least the size for a 1 inch seacock. If all else fails I would use the size of the raw water pump inlet as the guide for the required plumbing size. you'd be surprised how much water passes through the cooling system.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:02   #27

There is a Yanmar Engine Installation Manual covering the important specifications such as hose sizes and back pressure etc. It's not supplied with the engine since (a) your Yanmar dealer has access to a copy and (b) Yanmar assumes the dealer will be doing the install our at least validating it prior to startup.

Tags
overheating, yanmar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: