Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 18:37   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Yanmar 4JH3-DTE needs to quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
Yes, that's how the shipyard set it up when they built the boat. I've heard that the idea is to keep the turbo clean. I thought it was strange too, when I first saw it. On this engine, there's really no blow-by so the catch-can doesn't catch anything, and it probably doesn't make much difference.

Routing the blow by back into the intake is foolish.
I figure it must be for emissions, there is no other logical reason I can come up with.
Of course doing so does mean you have to frequently do the turbo wash routine, and it is a possible way to get a runaway, fuel pump leaks into the crankcase, raising oil level, oil / fuel mix is beaten into a foam by the crankshaft and will come pouring out the breather, into the suck side of the engine, engine is now getting a large amount of un metered fuel = runaway.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 18:48   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Yanmar 4JH3-DTE needs to quit smoking

Quote:
Yes, that's how the shipyard set it up when they built the boat. I've heard that the idea is to keep the turbo clean. I thought it was strange too, when I first saw it. On this engine, there's really no blow-by so the catch-can doesn't catch anything, and it probably doesn't make much difference.

Sorry to drift your thread. Do you have a source for your catch can? And why didn't I know about this?

Old 01-02-2019, 19:50   #48

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Sorry to drift your thread. Do you have a source for your catch can? And why didn't I know about this?

I think it's Skippy brand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190119_145423.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	184972  
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 15:44   #49

The turbo is out. Removal was not difficult, just disconnect the coolant and oil lines, and unbolt it. A turbo rebuild shop has it now and they tell me it will cost about $400 to rebuild, which is better than $1300 for a new one. While I have this much apart, I went ahead and removed the engine oil cooler, the gear oil cooler, and the main HX for cleaning. They all looked pretty good, but why not?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	185017   Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	185018  

Old 02-02-2019, 16:53   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Yanmar 4JH3-DTE needs to quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post

You can buy nice exotic billet catch cans from Summit Racing and other hot rod stores, or you can buy an oil separator which is a catch can with a drain connected back to the engine, or you can make your own.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...d=Catch%20cans
When I was drag racing motorcycles, mine was a Mountain Dew can sitting on my swing arm, only had oil come out when doing wheelies though, otherwise it was just a little oil “Smoke”
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:17   #51

With 5200 hours if the engine has typically been operated at lower rpm it will be carboned up. I believe Yanmar recommends “blowing out” the carbon periodically by repeatedly cycling the throttle from idle to full rpm until smoking has diminished. I have seen this done several times on deliveries and it works. If the engine starts and runs well I would be reluctant to open it up.
TheCrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:55   #52

Boat: Summer Twins 25

White smoke, is often caused by air in the fuel, i used to do a lot of first starts on small Yanmar engines, like 10 at a time and cause a real white fog, thats not exactly relevant to your case.
White smoke - air n fuel.
Blue smoke - Oil and if that is on start has to be valve guides.
Black smoke - unburnt fuel

As you seem to of done all the filters and even injectors and run on the correct quality oil?
How do you use your diesel? in relation to Low RPMs light use / leave it running to charge the batteries? if so try step 1 below

1) Next time your out on the boat, go out on the motor and drive it really hard for at least a couple of hours. I bet all of us run around nice and gently on our diesels thinking we are being nice to them when its best to use them above 70% ( Carbon deposits and glazed bores )
2) replace all fuel line seals, filters consider fuel filter housing failure - is it possible to run it off a can of diesel ( obviously with a proper filter in place ) to eliminate air coming from the fuel lines or tank - don't know your setup and if that would be worthwhile.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 14:24   #53

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
My Hylas 54 is equipped with a Yanmar 4JH3-DTE turbo-diesel which makes an embarrassing amount of smoke on start-up. After it warms up, the smoke diminishes, but never goes away completely. The engine has 5200 hrs on it. It starts instantly and makes good power. Here's how it looks right at start-up:

And after running for a few minutes:

I'll use this thread to document the steps I have taken and will take to address this problem. Comments appreciated!
Worn valve guides or stem seals, glazed cylinder bores...worn rings...
I would get the compression checked first.
Might have to get the head serviced, valves, guides and stem seals.
While you are at it get the injectors checked and cleaned as well.
All these is relatively inexpensive

Any diesel mechanic should be able to diagnose the state of the motor.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 14:30   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
I've always understood that white smoke is oil, and black smoke is unburnt diesel.

Black smoke is caused by excess, unburned or partially combusted fuel,

Blue smoke is generally indicative of oil burning within the engine’s combustion chambers.

White smoke can be caused by either excess fuel or an internal coolant leak in your engine
erie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 14:38   #55

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Just exactly like my 4JH3 HTE, down to the color of the smoke, and everything.

There are a couple of threads on here about my experiences; you might want to look them up in the archives.

I never figured it out in almost 10 years of ownership. Seeing yours, doing exactly the same thing, adds weight to one of the theories, which is that they just do that. This was the theory, by the way, of the eminent surveyor and diesel engine expert I hired to opine on the matter, when I was buying the boat.
A little smoke might be ok, however, diesels shouldn't smoke at all, if they do that's an indication that something is wrong.
Looks to me you hired the wrong 'experts'.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 14:45   #56

i have a 1991 4JH2TE Yanmar with 5000 hours in my Hunter 42 and it also smoked on start up and after a few hours left a display of black soot from the exhaust pipe back. I recently did a 11 hour passage motor sailing up the coast. Before i left i topped the fuel tank and added a super does of Fuel Doctor fuel additive.. Upon arrival into port 11 hours later, after motor sailing at 2100>2400 rpm i had a very slight grey build up on my hull , instead of the usual black soot. I wiped this off before heading back south- this time , again motor sailing for 10 hours , same rev range and upon arrival no soot at all on the hull. My motor no longer smokes upon start up.
This fuel additive is supposed to do two things;
disperse any water in the fuel
burn off any carbon within the engine.
I am a total convert to this additive. This may be an Australian product- not sure Fuel Doctors Australia
Couldn't recommend it highly enough!
Eianm
Sydney , Australia
eianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:42   #57

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Oil turns black from soot.
Soot primarily gets into the oil from blow-by, if your oil stays clean looking it means either you have exceptionally well sealed cylinders, or your using absolute garbage oil.
It’s also an indicator of clean injectors with good spray patterns.
Believe it or not but junk oil will stay clean looking because it doesn’t hold the soot in suspension, it builds up in the pan.
You have heard of detergent oil of course, well that is what the detergent does, disperses the soot.

I assume your not running garbage oil, so you have a very “Tight” engine.
Yanmar’s do very well in this respect apparently, even my old 30 yr old 1500 hour engine doesn’t really soot up its oil oil like most Diesels do.
Thanks for the explanation. I do believe it's a very tight engine, she starts instantly.
daletournier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 20:30   #58

I'm heading down to the boat tomorrow to continue work on the engine. The turbocharger has been rebuilt and I'll re-install it along with the cleaned out heat exchangers. Hopefully, this will reduce or eliminate the smoke and the oil consumption.
Old 13-02-2019, 16:16   #59

JT, That seems to be fuel related. Especially if it diminishes as the engine gets to operating temp. Although you had the timing checked, I would re check it. It may very well be retarded, (late as in too close to TDC). As the piston get to TDC and slows down, then changes direction, the heat generated from compression is absorbed by the cyl walls and cyl head resulting in insufficient heat for complete combustion. In addition, is there any oil consumption? A turbo will draw engine oil from it's center section into the intake. Check the interior of the intake connection from the turbo to the engine intake for having oil in it. I think you may be correct in thinking you have 2 issues. The smoke is NOT normal especially with the compression you have. Those engines had
a few issues with the turbo sooting up as well.
Diesel3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 16:33   #60

JT, I apologize, I did not see page 3 that shows you already found oil in the intercooler and intake piping, so the turbo seal had failed. Intercoolers, getting raw water,
do a great job of making the intake air more dense. For every 10* you lower intake air temp you gain 1% hp!

Diesel3446 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar