Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2011, 05:07   #1

Boat: HUNTER PASSAGE 450 "TARENTELA" & CHIEN HWA 35 TRAWLER "AVALON"
Yanmar 4JH2-HTE Starter

I am replacing the starter on my Yanmar 4JH2-HTE (1997). The boat is laid up in another country so I can't get the serial number or look at the starter. I want to purchase one here and take it with me when I head down. There are two types of starter available, one has a nose cone, and the other has a completely exposed drive gear. They both appear to have the same mounting footprint and bolt hole orientation. Does anyone know for certain if these are interchangeable? Several aftermarket parts suppliers state the nose cone unit replaces the other but I would be more comfortable hearing it from someone who has actually had the experience. Thanks.
YACHT TARENTELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 22:03   #2

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Re: Yanmar 4JH2-HTE Starter

yes it is correct. the newer version of the starter is more compact and easier to install. I had my old starter rebuilt as a spare.
If you search on the web you will come across a voltage drop problem with the yanmar starting circuit of this vintage. There is sometimes not enough voltage in the circuit when you turn the key to activate the starting solenoid. If you have this problem you have to install a relay (solenoid) to activate the starter solenoid. Since the boat is far away, I would take a relay with me and some wire just in case
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 22:48   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
yes it is correct. the newer version of the starter is more compact and easier to install.
I'm not sure I would take this advice w/o talking to a dealer. The one with a nose cone has a 11 tooth bendix gear and the one w/o nose cone has 15 teeth. That would make it easy to install.

The bell housing may support different transmissions/flex plates.
Old 28-09-2011, 05:13   #4

Boat: HUNTER PASSAGE 450 "TARENTELA" & CHIEN HWA 35 TRAWLER "AVALON"

Thank you Dohenyboy and Delmarrey. Yes, the voltage drop might be the problem. The solenoid usually either just clicks or does nothing at all unless I have a genset or charger running, and then everything is perfect. I have reworked all my heavy cables but have not looked at the small power wire circuit leading to the solenoid. I'll go over that when I return and will take a relay and spare wire with me. The Yanmar dealer doesn't know whether or not the two types of starter are interchangeable but the nose cone model is listed as a replacement for the open gear model with more than one starter manufacturer. Nothing was stated about the open gear model replacing the nose cone model. As I am unsure which one I have I'll get the nose cone model. Hope the bell housing is deep enough to accept it.
YACHT TARENTELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 09:37   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

You might try contacting Yanmar direct >>> Contact - Yanmar Marine

Tags
yanmar