Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2011, 17:29   #1

Boat: Beneteau 235
yanmar 4JH-HTE /electric fuel pump

Hi Group,
Question,
I have a spare electric fuel pump from a previous boat [westerbeke diesel].I like the electric pump vs the mechanical pump for a lot of reasons,activate by turning ignition key,shut down engine,just turn off ignition,If you need to prime engine,just turn on ignition and let run for a couple minutes,etc,etc.
Can I install this on my Yanmar 4JH-HTE diesel without a major deal.
thanks
Richard
50gulfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 19:03   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: yanmar 4JH-HTE /electric fuel pump

Hi Gulfstar:

On a 4JH4E I have an electric fuel pump plumbed into my system that operates off of a switch. I use the lift pump most of the time and can activate the electric pump when I turn the switch on. The order of it is like this Fuel tank>Primary Filter>Electric Pump>Lift Pump>Secondary Filter>Injection Pump. Fuel is able to pass thru the electric pump when it is turned off. If I wanted to install the electric pump as the primary I would do the following. I would take the intake fuel line from the lift pump and circle it back to the out put line of the lift pump. I would then lead the fuel line from the electric pump directly to the secondary filter. I would also rewire the electric pump so that it switches on when I turn the key on.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electric pump, fuel, fuel pump, yanmar