Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2019, 14:38   #1

Boat: C&C 41
Yanmar 3HM35F with burning rubber smell ...

Need help solving a dispute concerning the engine on our C&C 41 which was "thoroughly" serviced last month - new belts, impeller, etc. (had been in water for 2 years so it was rehabilitated but actually turned out to have been winterized and appeared to have faired very well).

From early on after servicing I smelled distinct odor of burning rubber and reported this back to the mechanics, who didn't seem very worried, nor did my partner (I'm the only woman in this story, for what it's worth) - they thought maybe its the new belts. The odor persisted, and it was suggested to wipe off the engine to remove black rubber "dust" that might be burning, which I did, but still smell persisted.

I did some reading in Yanmar manual from 1986 and noted (1) lots of emphasis about importance of belt tightening and (2) possibilities regarding engine overheating. Not knowing much about engines but worrying about something being wrong, I was asking everyone that visited and was an experienced sailor about the smell. Today a friend of my partner's who knew this engine from a sailboat he'd had in the past took a look at the engine and said - oh, the belts are too loose. that's probably what's causing the smell.

Now, my partner and I are having a major argument over the following points:
1) How bad a "mistake" is it for the mechanics to not have initially correctly tensioned the belts?
2) How bad a "mistake" is it for the mechanics to not have responded more promptly to my report of the burning rubber smell?
3) What might have happened if everyone had continued to "ignore" me and the loose belts had gone untightened?
joycemango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 14:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Yanmar 3HM35F with burning rubber smell ...

After reading many horror stories.

1) Typical, it seems.
2) Typical response in the trades.
3) Depends on whether the belt drove the water pump as well as the alternator. Could have been benign or very costly.

I suggest that you learn to do your own engine maintenance.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 14:52   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Well I hate to get in the middle of a "domestic" but here goes
1) they "may" have correctly tensioned the belts, it's not uncommon for them to stretch a bit initially. Normally you have to recheck themafter a few hours operation
2)Well the mechanics should have known what it was & fixed it asap. It's not a major as long as they are still spinning the alternator & water pump.
3) Well if they got loose enough the alternator wouldn't charge the battery & the water pump ( if it's driven by the belt) wouldnt pump enough water to keep the engine cool.
Also the belt wear is much faster if they are slipping. I commend you for noticing the smell & acting on it.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 14:53   #4

Does the boat have a high output alternator? It's possible the belt they put on isn't up to the task. Been there done that with a 100 amp alternator on a Yanmar single belt.

If it doesn't have a high output alt then something is definitely off if it's creating rubber dust fast. A smaller size belt can be installed by mistake which has less grip area in the pulley groove.

The boat didn't have a rubber smell problem prior to servicing? If not is the mechanic shop big enough to have an owner etc who you should talk with.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 17:43   #5

Yes it does have high output alternator. Hmmm ... Thanks for all these ideas, will bring these back to them.
Old 13-10-2019, 18:23   #6

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I had this engine on my last boat..... great engine. I also had a high output alternator... Balmar 70 amp however continued to use stock belt. It would create dust like crazy when it was charging and that dust would get inside the alternator and you could smell it burning. If I did not sell the boat I would have upgraded to a serpentine belt.... Balmar has kits for specific yanmar engines. I put one on my new boat when I upgraded the alt and it makes such a difference and no dust!

And don’t tighten belt too much as you can damage the water pump.

The shop manual for that engine is terrific and walks you through most everything dealing with maintenance..... I suggest you learn to do things yourself as you will find continued issues relying on others.

Serpentine belt is the way to go! And they look cool too.....

Good luck!
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBFE1FE2-2FB9-47DA-BF27-24FBF8F203FC.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	201449  
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 18:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Once a belt slips enough to dust or smell, it’s toast.
Sorry, but you need a new belt, the reason is the belt fits inside of a V groove, the sides of the belt provide the traction by being pulled down into the V, squeezed in if you will, if it slips much it wears, once worn it will slip down inside of the V until it bottoms out, once it does that it’s going to slip even if you get it taught as a drum because it’s not being squeezed down into that V.
V belts and big alternators will drive you nuts, yes they can be managed if intensively inspected and adjusted, or just say to Hell with it and get a serpentine kit and forget about belts probably for years.
However be sitting down when you price the kit, it’s expensive for what it is, but it brings peace of mind.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 08:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycemango View Post
Yes it does have high output alternator. Hmmm ... Thanks for all these ideas, will bring these back to them.
Bottom line is that it was fine, they serviced it, it's not fine. They should fix it. Do you have the old belt? See what it is from the numbers on it. You should always keep it if you don't have a spare. Some belts are superior to others for high drive situations. Gates Green Stripe is one brand. Also, belts seem to come in mm and inch sizing. Often either can be used in a normal situation, but not in a high drive situation. You want a belt that fills the pulley groove and has the right angle to fit the groove face. On some engines that may be a 3/8" belt. On some engines that may be a 1/2" belt.

The mechanics probably got a stock belt to fit your engine not knowing about the high drive alternator.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 14:08   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Bottom line is that it was fine, they serviced it, it's not fine. They should fix it. Do you have the old belt? See what it is from the numbers on it. You should always keep it if you don't have a spare. Some belts are superior to others for high drive situations. Gates Green Stripe is one brand. Also, belts seem to come in mm and inch sizing. Often either can be used in a normal situation, but not in a high drive situation. You want a belt that fills the pulley groove and has the right angle to fit the groove face. On some engines that may be a 3/8" belt. On some engines that may be a 1/2" belt.

The mechanics probably got a stock belt to fit your engine not knowing about the high drive alternator.
I think you nailed it. A V belt does not mean it is the correct one for his pulleys. The suggestion of checking the no. on the old one is excellent. If he had the work done that is probably impossible. An engine manual may help. When all else fails read the manual.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 14:34   #10

Sadly no old belt. Will double check manual for size. Like the angle of different brands. Even though mechanic knew about high output alternator, I'm suspicious that he took it into account.
Old 14-10-2019, 15:19   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycemango View Post
Sadly no old belt. Will double check manual for size. Like the angle of different brands. Even though mechanic knew about high output alternator, I'm suspicious that he took it into account.
I wouldn't think the high output alternator has anything to do with the belt unless it has a different pulley than your engine. Was it working with that alternator previously?
If so, MHO is the "mechanic" just grabbed a belt with the same length.
Good luck getting it resolved. A manual may help or contact Yanmar
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 17:06   #12

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I have a 1988 3HM35F. The alternator/coolant pump belt is 1/2" wide and the raw water pump belt is 3/8" Both belts should ride in the vee of the pulleys with the top surface just high of the pulleys; maybe 1/16 to 1/32". As they wear they will run lower. I'm sorry that I can not tell you from experience the size of your alternator/coolant belt as my alternator is not mounted in the factory location. I use a Goodyear 3L190 for the raw water pump belt. The parts manual says the stock alternator/coolant belt is a 40 inch A section belt.

Before blaming the smell on the belts, be sure that nothing rubber is touching the hot exhaust riser. It is significantly hotter than the engine surface and should be wrapped with insulation. Belt dust sucked into the alternator can smell as the alternator stator and the diode pack are also hot items. If you have compressed air, blowing out the alternator may help.

If you don't have it already, get http://www.lsm-diesel.dk/2012/yanmar..._3hm35-f-c.pdf

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 07:40   #13

Great! thanks
Old 15-10-2019, 07:45   #14

Don't have any prior history on how it ran etc. Because prior owners are unavailable due to illness. We haven't even sailed her yet! She was left on water in Massachusetts for 2 years prior to our purchase, we've been refitting sails engine etc since purchase ...
Old 15-10-2019, 07:49   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

One thing to consider is your battery bank, your not leaving the dock with a good fully charged bank if your eating belts
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar