Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2014, 11:34   #16

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Yanmar 3HM35

If the engine got really hot, be sure to check the exhaust hose and muffler for damage before you try to fire it up again.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 21:02   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

It is not looking like we dodge a bullet😢. We still don't know why she overheated. She lost her coolant plug but that seems to of happened due to the overheat.
We did start her up now that we have all new gauges installed( but could not buy a new thermostat due to the holidays). The engine ran fine, then the temp shot way up and we had to shut her down. The head stayed cool to the touch while other parts of the engine were very hot..? The thermostat was open. So parts of the engine overheated while others stayed cool. Brian and the mechanic will start back up tomorrow for more diagnostics.

Two recent occurrences
1) Brian change out the old coolant for the new better stuff. He followed protocol, flushing several times and ensuring no air lock.
2) Brian removed our hot water heater that was hooked up to the engine. He followed the exact fix of another PS34 by simply running a hose from the engine outlet looping it back to the engine inlet.

Thanks for the input, it really helps. Doesn't look like we will be leaving port on Monday grrrr.
Erika
Old 26-12-2014, 21:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
The head stayed cool to the touch while other parts of the engine were very hot..?
Blind guess: the coolant pump is not pumping.

Also, something is wrong with the coolant fill cap if a freeze plug blows out. The problems may be related.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 21:33   #19

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

2) Brian removed our hot water heater that was hooked up to the engine. He followed the exact fix of another PS34 by simply running a hose from the engine outlet looping it back to the engine inlet.
So... you have a short circuit bypassing the heat exchanger...? Sorry, not sure if this engine is freshwater or raw water cooled, but if you did that to a freshwater cooled engine it would overheat as the coolant would have no incentive to go through the heat exchanger.

Matt
Old 27-12-2014, 09:20   #20

Quote:
It is not looking like we dodge a bullet��. We still don't know why she overheated. She lost her coolant plug but that seems to of happened due to the overheat.
We did start her up now that we have all new gauges installed( but could not buy a new thermostat due to the holidays). The engine ran fine, then the temp shot way up and we had to shut her down. The head stayed cool to the touch while other parts of the engine were very hot..? The thermostat was open. So parts of the engine overheated while others stayed cool. Brian and the mechanic will start back up tomorrow for more diagnostics.

Two recent occurrences
1) Brian change out the old coolant for the new better stuff. He followed protocol, flushing several times and ensuring no air lock.

Thanks for the input, it really helps. Doesn't look like we will be leaving port on Monday grrrr.
Erika
That sure sounds like an air lock.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 09:30   #21

You all have exhausted my knowledge, will keep passing this to Brian and have him post when he can.
I'm told -The coolant pump is working.
GILow, I'll pass this to Brian, we have looked closely at this as it seems the likely culprit, changing from a long to short curcuit alone could affect this I'd think..?
Thanks for the thoughtful input, it is greatly appreciated!!
Erika
Old 27-12-2014, 10:45   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Yanmar 3HM35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That sure sounds like an air lock.....

Yes it does, exactly the symptom of an air lock.
Remove the T stat and run it and see if it still gets hot. Just use plain water until you figure this out as you may waste a lot of coolant until you do. leave the cap off, you should see water circulate quite quickly

Deleting the water heater and running a loop should cause no problems, the calorifier is pretty much the same as a heater core on an automobile function wise. But hooking it up couldn't hurt and is not hard, why did he disconnect it?

If it's running and idleing fine, you may have dodged the bullet, don't get discouraged.

But, once you get it fixed, i would want to put 10 hours or so on it, before I struck out again
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 10:53   #23

Boat: Valiant 42

Erika,

Check the service manual about the "unused" condition of the hot water connections. Sometimes they are looped with a short hose and sometimes they are supposed to be plugged when not in use. Although I doubt that is your real problem you may want to put it like the manual says.

Overheating of the engine block could be caused by lots of things. But 4 hours running is a long time. Most things will show up within a few minutes. So try to remember if anything peculiar happened or the sound of the engine changed shortly before the overheat. Maybe something got past the strainer and has plugged up the seawater section of the heat exchanger. Maybe some old impeller blades worked their way into a blockage.

Someone else suggested changing the oil and filter. That's a good idea if you haven't done it already.

Good luck.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 10:55   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Freeze plugs are not freeze plugs, they are there to assist in the casting proscess.
It's fairly common for corrosion to cause a freeze plug to blow out.
Old 27-12-2014, 13:12   #25

Air lock it was. Somehow when I removed the water heater and added the hose it created an air lock. We filed the coolant and ran the engine until the thermostat opened and the coolant reservoir was still full. We then disconnected one end of the new hose I added and then were able to add another half gallon of coolant. After that it ran fine and did not overheat. We also now have temperature and oil pressure guages

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have changed all the fluids and filters as recommended.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 13:17   #26

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Congratulations on tracking it down. I learned something from your experience too.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-12-2014, 14:38   #27

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Glad you got it figured out Brian, now hopefully this norther will die down and y'all will get some good weather this next week to head out
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 15:57   #28

Thanks all!!
Yes Bob, we hope to leave out on Monday. ��������
Old 28-12-2014, 06:12   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Air lock it was. Somehow when I removed the water heater and added the hose it created an air lock. We filed the coolant and ran the engine until the thermostat opened and the coolant reservoir was still full. We then disconnected one end of the new hose I added and then were able to add another half gallon of coolant. After that it ran fine and did not overheat. We also now have temperature and oil pressure guages

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have changed all the fluids and filters as recommended.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Excellent news...

Something to ponder while ya get ready to go... This was previously mentioned, and it would be part of my procedure to investigate if I were exactly where you were...

1. Heed Pilot's advice of putting some hours on her.... VERY LIKELY nothing has been damaged in the spinny parts of the engine.... BUT.... I HAVE SEEN... bearing damage, con rods mainly due to an overheat ... Only showing up down the road as the dreaded knockity knock...

2. Stay excited for the voyage

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 06:28   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Do look for oil leaks closely for the next few hours, heat can have a bad effect on oil seals.
I'm hoping you dodged the bullet and sounds like you have, just I guess I'm a little paranoid.

Tags
yanmar