Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-02-2011, 09:15   #16

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Yep, an exhaust leak, loose tappet, and a bad ball bearing could all make the noise I'm hearing.

Just took a look at it this morning. I think I found the problem to be the FRESH water pump on the engine.

Cleaned out the locker and jumped in for a look-see. First thing I did was grab the fresh water pump pulley and try to move it around. And it moves in every direction. It's really loose. Probably has ball bearings as well.

So I took the belt off the raw water pump anyway and started the engine, of course the sound was still there. I let it run only about a minute, it made the noise immediately. No doubt the pump is bad. I'm going to take the alternator belt off also and start the engine again to verify. I'm sure the noise will go away but even if it is a tappet or exhaust leak this pump must be replaced.

Of course I had to suspect something about the grounding was related to this, since it occurred just after that incident. But in hindsight I recall tightening the alternator belt last month because it had the classic slipping after start up thing. It was a new looking belt and loose, so I snugged it up but not over tight. I actually checked the book for the tension measurement.

Apparently the pump had enough wear that more tension and running hard to get off the sandbar finished it off.

Now I start looking for a replacement. Or to check if it can be rebuilt by me.

If anyone knows the best source for a fresh water pump for a 3GM30F let me know. By best source I mean a good price for a broke ass newbie sailor. I'm in the St. Pete, FL area. Heading back to AL tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks for the input, and the sounding board, everyone.

Old 15-02-2011, 09:29   #17

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Good news! Glad it was't something major.

jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 09:31   #18
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Mastry Engine Center's web site lists:
Quote:
tore Locations near: St Petersburg FL us
Categories: Category 1
# Distance
Store Information
1 1.09
Yacht Power Products
1510 First Avenue North
St. Petersburg
FL 33705
US
Get Directions
727 821-9859
2 1.65
M.D. Marine
1595 Bay Street SE
St. Petersburg
FL 33701
US
Get Directions
727 895-1981
3 5.35
Marine America
3701 1/2 50th Avenue South
Saint Petersburg
FL 33711
US
Get Directions
727 867-7718
Fax: 727 866-9492
4 16.24
Seafarer Marine
12950 Walsingham Road
Largo
FL 33774
US
Get Directions
727 595-8813
Old 15-02-2011, 20:13   #19

Glad it's just a water pump as well.

My friend across the dock showed up this morning so I went out for a sail with him (Hunter 310) instead of working more on the boat today.

Looked up Mastry this evening, thanks capngeo.

I have several places to call. Mostly marine, but also an industrial tractor place up by the airport. I'm going to price shop some. Maybe look to rebuild instead of new. Need to save money.

I wish I had pulled the other belt already to verify the noise goes away. Because I'm still a little concerned the governor weights are making the noise. The governor is below the fresh water pump in the engine.

Yesterday I could here the water pump bearings "growling", like roller bearings do, when I was using the wooden dowel. But I didn't hear the tap through the dowel there. I figured the pump bearings had some wear but not the tap and moved on. The tap sounded lower down near the raw water pump. Which is right next to where the governor is located.

Man, I worry to much and think to much. I'll find out tomorrow before I pull the fresh water pump.

At least I went sailing today. It was nice and I got some sun.
Old 15-02-2011, 21:02   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
Springhill ?

Where is Springhill ? I'm in Decatur,AL.
Old 15-02-2011, 21:12   #21

Your just up the road from me.

Ever heard of Carbon Hill and Nauvoo? I'm in the woods north of the former and west of the later. Springhill is a rural community there, defined be two churches on land donated by my grand dad on each end of his farm. A ridge line full of springs with clean water and granite bluffs.

Someone burned down one of the churches two days ago.
Old 15-02-2011, 21:18   #22

Hey Neighbor,that is around Smith Lake,right?
Aaaah hah,found it.Where do you go sailing?
Old 15-02-2011, 21:24   #23

A bit to the west, yes. I have a younger brother that lives on the lake and I sail my old Hobie18 there. Brother lives in sight of Duncan bridge. I sail off the Smith Lake Dam boat ramp, too.
Old 15-02-2011, 21:33   #24

Never been there,I have a sister that has a boat on the lake.
Old 17-02-2011, 19:50   #25

One last update. The boat is back in service, anxiety gone.

Got a new fresh water pump from Yacht Power in St. Pete for $139. With tax, antifreeze, new belts, high temp engine paint, etc about $175 for the repair. Noted in the maintenance log. Pump is manufactured by Aisin in Japan. They make most of the pumps for the Japanese auto manufacturers. Has some kind of high tech seal of carbon and ceramic.

Seems all the boat places here are related to Mastry, even the tractor place, who wouldn't even offer a price. They said call Mastry, who wanted $231 for the pump alone.

I know this is boring to most, but just putting it here for someone doing searches on a 3GM30F.

The pump has been growling for a while judging by how much quieter the engine is now. It got worse and started popping. Probably about to seize.

I can hear the happy tappets now. Nothing abnormal but need to adjust them sometime.

Thanks for being a sounding board for my ramblings and the input.
Old 17-02-2011, 20:01   #26

Boat: grampian 26
[QUOTE=four winds;622058]One last update. The boat is back in service, anxiety gone.

Got a new fresh water pump from Yacht Power in St. Pete for $139. With tax, antifreeze, new belts, high temp engine paint, etc about $175 for the repair. Noted in the maintenance log. Pump is manufactured by Aisin in Japan. They make most of the pumps for the Japanese auto manufacturers. Has some kind of high tech seal of carbon and ceramic.

Seems all the boat places here are related to Mastry, even the tractor place, who wouldn't even offer a price. They said call Mastry, who wanted $231 for the pump alone.

I know this is boring to most, but just putting it here for someone doing searches on a 3GM30F.

The pump has been growling for a while judging by how much quieter the engine is now. It got worse and started popping. Probably about to seize.

I can hear the happy tappets now. Nothing abnormal but need to adjust them sometime.

Thanks for being a sounding board for my ramblings and the input.[/QUOTE
Don't you just love it when things work out in your favor? Mind the tension on your belts as they will eat your bearings if too tight.
Old 17-02-2011, 22:11   #27

Yep, I left the alt belt a tad looser than the book says. I'll keep it there unless it squeals after startup for more than a second. No squeal so far.

Went out for a sail on my friends boat again today, so I got on the water too.

Working on mine, so now I have rebuilt the Racor 500, new pump, new impeller in the raw water pump, new belts, coolant flush, cleaned some corroded connections, etc.

Best of all, I'm getting familiar with the the engine type, and working in the cockpit lockers to access the engine. More room than I thought and had the pump off in thirty minutes probably.

Definitely going out on the bay in mine tomorrow. First time since running aground last month. So I need to get back out there.

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, noise, yanmar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: