Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2019, 08:56   #1

Yanmar 3gm30f hard to bleed

It takes a very long time to bleed the system using the manuel fuel feed pump on our Yanmar 3gm30f.

Any ideas ?

carlager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 09:01   #2

Boat: Pearson 323
Re: Yanmar 3gm30f hard to bleed

Last time I did my MD 11 it took 3 hours, 2 busted knuckles, and blisters on my fingers. My recommendations is hire someone!

mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 09:17   #3

This may sound crazy, but add a priming ball like you would use for an outboard start right from the beginning and use any bleeder screw you can. It should take you about 10 minutes.
Islander30Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 09:46   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I added an electric fuel pump, to my system before the Racor. It allows for Easy Filling of the racor and engine filter. getting the air out after the engine filter is the course always tricky, as the bleed screw on the injector pump is under the tank on the 3gm30f.

In that case, it generally requires loosening the nuts on the high pressure lines at the injectors and crank in the motor with the raw water Seacock closed. I find that chanting helps. that would be four-letter chanting.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 16:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlager View Post
It takes a very long time to bleed the system using the manuel fuel feed pump on our Yanmar 3gm30f.

Any ideas ?

Most camshaft actuated diaphragm type lift pumps like the one on your 3GM need to be on the back of the cam to operate the manual priming lever so it is quite often necessary to manually rotate the engine to find the position where the lever operates best.... not at all easy to do because it requires patience to locate that spot, anywhere else and the lift pump will only deliver minute amounts of fuel. You do have the advantage of being able to use the decompression lever to make turning the engine over much easier.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 16:36   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I finally got around to replacing my inop electric pump. But I manually bled the dual Racor’s and system for five years, the secret or trick is to ensure the motor is positioned so that the lever will give the diaphragm a full stroke, if the motor stops where the diaphragm is compressed, then the lever won’t pump anything.

This is a restatement of skipperpete’s post, but also a conformation, cause if I can bleed a dual racer system and the final filter too in a couple of minutes, then it’s not hard at all to bleed manually.
The electric pump is easier of course, but not really required.

Do not install an outboard squeeze bulb, over time the fuel will soften it and it will split, and that can be a fire hazard.
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 18:16   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

Now my boat has an electric pump to feed the filter and another electric pump to feed the engine. I tossed the diaphragm pump in the trash. Think about the odds of an electric pump failing vs a diaphragm pump. I could run an electric pump from solar.
Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 09:11   #8

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjscottinnc View Post
Last time I did my MD 11 it took 3 hours, 2 busted knuckles, and blisters on my fingers. My recommendations is hire someone!
And a lot of really bad words...
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 09:14   #9

Boat: Watkins 29

I installed a new Racor 200 series filter with an internal manual pump. I can drain the sediment out of the bowl of the filter then use the manual pump to suck in fuel from the tank... it is so efficient, that I can pump enough fuel at enough pressure to fill the secondary filter and only have to crack the injectors to relieve air and pressure.

Works like a charm.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 09:48   #10

Boat: Beneteau 36CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Most camshaft actuated diaphragm type lift pumps like the one on your 3GM need to be on the back of the cam to operate the manual priming lever so it is quite often necessary to manually rotate the engine to find the position where the lever operates best.... not at all easy to do because it requires patience to locate that spot, anywhere else and the lift pump will only deliver minute amounts of fuel. You do have the advantage of being able to use the decompression lever to make turning the engine over much easier.
This is good information - thanks skipperpete and A64.
I do understand that the engine needs to be in the right phase to maximize the fuel pump delivery but my question is - how do you know when it is correcty positioned ?

Is there some timing mark on the pulley to reference ?
or
Is it trial and error feeling resistance to the manual lever action ?
stevo_002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 11:09   #11

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

My old boat had a 3gm30. I got a new Racor with a pump built into it. What a difference! It bleeds in a minute or so compared to the 50 million times I had to push the little lever on the pump.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 11:47   #12

Boat: Vancouver 32

Hi,
Skipper Pete is correct, if the engine stoped with the pump up on the cam, it will pump little or nothing, ( but the lever will still move) The pump is designed with its own internal return spring, so its a wee bit difficult to tell when its actually pumping, so as he says, operate all three decompressors then turn the engine by hand a little at a time and keep going back to the lift pump and try it.
It should feel slightly different when it is actually pumping the diaphragm, if you do feel the difference then “go past” the best point, you can just keep turning the engine and it will come again, or you can also turn it back the other way to the sweet spot.
I just did an engine service two days ago on my 3GM30 changing both fuel filters, and it was fully bled in about ten minutes, maybe a bit less as I wasn’t timing it.
Good luck
All the best
Colin
ColinIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 11:59   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_002 View Post
This is good information - thanks skipperpete and A64.

I do understand that the engine needs to be in the right phase to maximize the fuel pump delivery but my question is - how do you know when it is correcty positioned ?

Is there some timing mark on the pulley to reference ?

or

Is it trial and error feeling resistance to the manual lever action ?

You’ll feel it, go right now and move the lever slowly, there should be resistance the whole range of motion in one direction, if the cam is holding the diaphragm compressed, you’ll have a lot to “slop” in the arms movement and only feel resistance for a fraction of the travel.

So seeing as you have decompression levers go actuate them and try the pump lever, move the engine some and try again, maybe move it 90 degrees or so each time, you’ll soon see what I mean.
I don’t know of any timing marks, but it shouldn’t be too hard to make some. Depending of course on the ratio the drive lobe is vs RPM, if it were driven off of the valve camshaft, which it often is, then it is being driven at half crankshaft speed, which would mean that the timing mark thing would work half the time, or every other time the marks lined up. The cam shaft is of course driven at half crankshaft speed.
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 12:07   #14

Boat: Island Packet 40

Getting the cam in the right place greatly assists but having now had two engines with electric priming pumps I could never go back to manual priming. Manual pumping for fifteen minutes to discover you have an air leak is almost enough to drive one to opening a vein.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 12:22   #15

Here is the video on how to utilize a priming ball to bleed your fuel lines. It's done with a 2GM20, but principal should be the same.

https://youtu.be/ZeL9Fd7vsT0

Islander30Will is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, yanmar