Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2016, 09:50   #1

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.
Yanmar 3GM30f hard starting

Racor primary filter with hand Primer on top.
Standard Yanmar secondary filter.
600hrs over 20yrs. barely used, sat idle for 10yrs

Within the last year serviced heat exchanger system incl elbow, injector pump, new lift pump, all fluids etc.
Started really well initially, now reverted to old symptoms.
Now if it sits for a time it is hard to start and have to keep overcranking until it catches. Then it is easy to start for rest of the day.
Power normal , tops out at 2800rpm though.

Can air get in if there are no visible diesel leaks?
Guess compression test should be next.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:15   #2

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa
Re: Yanmar 3GM30f hard starting

Same problem on old ford trucks Fuel drains down when stopped. The return lines can suck a bit of air even if they show no leak when running, Return dumps back into system at filter so it adds up .So hard on batteries and starter.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:28   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes, it is called loss of prime. It is a pretty common problem with Diesels.
If your sure all lines etc are good, then it could be the manual pump.
It took me awhile to find it on my Truck, ended up being the air bleed screw O ring, since the filter is on the suction side it didn't leak any Diesel at all, but being under vacuum it did let air in.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:38   #4

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes, it is called loss of prime. It is a pretty common problem with Diesels.
If your sure all lines etc are good, then it could be the manual pump.
It took me awhile to find it on my Truck, ended up being the air bleed screw O ring, since the filter is on the suction side it didn't leak any Diesel at all, but being under vacuum it did let air in.
Thanks, always have been suspicious of the racor. I may try a bypass temporarily.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 15:47   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

I had similar issues - it would click but not turn over when the engine was cold, but it worked fine after it had warmed up - so I added a starter relay. It's still a bit sluggish on cold startups, but no longer is there just the click.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 17:29   #6

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Different issue. Initial diagnosis is fairly important
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 19:46   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The banjo bolts on the lift pump and engine mount fuel filter can vibrate a little loose on the GM engines. Always good to check that they are snug every 100-200 hours.

When running a GM at idle, pull each decompression lever one at a time. They should all have the same chug chug sound. If one has a different sound, less strain. then that cylinder may have "issues". If they all sound the same it's probably not compression.

If one sounds off, with the engine at idle, remove the oil fill cap. IS there a hiss of pressure being relieved or grey smoke coming out the oil fill. Either would be an indication of bad rings.

Yanmar has issues with the 1994 piston in the GM engines where the rink lands would sometimes break.. From my very personal experience, hard starting and smoke out the oil fill is broken rings.

At 600 hours a 3gm will measure as new with no apparent wear. It's just getting broken in.

Could also be a bad lift pump, clogged dip tube, colapased hose or clog in the fuel line.

Odds are it's a very annoying vacuum leak in the fuel system. Those are the hardest to find. I just redid my entire fuel system piping from tank to engine filter. Fixed that little problem once and for all.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:39   #8

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Similar behavior from my 2qm15.
Solution turned out to be fuel distributor timing with correct shim.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:44   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The banjo bolts on the lift pump and engine mount fuel filter can vibrate a little loose on the GM engines. Always good to check that they are snug every 100-200 hours.

When running a GM at idle, pull each decompression lever one at a time. They should all have the same chug chug sound. If one has a different sound, less strain. then that cylinder may have "issues". If they all sound the same it's probably not compression.

If one sounds off, with the engine at idle, remove the oil fill cap. IS there a hiss of pressure being relieved or grey smoke coming out the oil fill. Either would be an indication of bad rings.

Yanmar has issues with the 1994 piston in the GM engines where the rink lands would sometimes break.. From my very personal experience, hard starting and smoke out the oil fill is broken rings.

At 600 hours a 3gm will measure as new with no apparent wear. It's just getting broken in.

Could also be a bad lift pump, clogged dip tube, colapased hose or clog in the fuel line.

Odds are it's a very annoying vacuum leak in the fuel system. Those are the hardest to find. I just redid my entire fuel system piping from tank to engine filter. Fixed that little problem once and for all.
Terrific answer.
Sailorchic34, you rock.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:49   #10

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I second Sailorchic's diagnosis of bad rings and lack of compression. Yours are classic symptoms of this.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:55   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Your symptoms could also indicate a bad start battery that is weak. It could have trouble spinning your engine when it is cold. After it initially starts your alternator charges the battery, the engine warms up making it easier to start. Just one more thing to check out. You can check the battery voltage at the starter terminals when cranking cold and then after warm up. Wouldn't hurt to check and clean all of your battery connections as well.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:19   #12

Boat: Hunter 41

You mentioned all the upgrades you did to the engine itself. Did you clean out the fuel tank and are you sure you have good clean fuel running through the filters? If the tank was never cleaned well after years of sitting, there could be gunk that's coming loose and being pumped through your feed lines. I picked up some bad fuel two years ago which clogged my filters with jellied fuel. The heat from the engine tended to increase the flow but when the engine cooled down, it was very difficult to start again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diesel Gunk.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	137816  
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:23   #13

There are probably more "Yanmar hard starting" topics on this and all other boating forums than there are people in China!!! Really. A little searching, here or on Google will give you the answers in addition to sailorchic's superb response. If it's not the fuel system, then gamayun's answer is the one most replies lead to as a solution. sailboatowners.com had a great writeup on how to do this about a month ago.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:43   #14

It could be many things, but the ring problem could be it also. Hard starting, runs up to rpm once going though. I had it happen to two 3GM30's from the early 90's. One at 500 hours.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:10   #15

Boat: Paceship 29

I would change or install a check valve on the fuel line, before going much further. The much further maybe a dose of "Seafoam" in the engine oil as well as the diesel fuel.
sony2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, yanmar