Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 13:56   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Yanmar 3gm30f engine controls

Need a new set of controls for my Yanmar 3GM30F engine in my tiller steered sailboat. Anyone using the Morse 2100f single handle control?? CONTROLS MJB SIDEMOUNT - Seattle Marine Any other controls that would work with this engine?? Ideally, would like to find an old Morse sailboat removable dual handle set up but have been looking for a set for two years without success.

My '69 Pearson 35 with a Yanmar3GM30f engine had separate throttle and shift controls that probably were original to the A4. The shift control was at the forward end of the cockpit and throttle about midway back, both on the side of the cockpit. I've removed these controls and bought a used Morse Engine Control. CONTROLS MJB SIDEMOUNT - Seattle Marine There apparently is a bushing missing on this unit and the throttle is sloppy, not loose but downright sloppy. The engine immediately returns to idle as soon as you take your hand off the throttle.

Didn't pay much for the used control and doubt that it's worth finding or making the bushing that appears to be missing. Unfortunately got sticker shock when I priced a new one of these controls.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 16:02   #2

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Yanmar 3gm30f engine controls

a small bungy cord might well cure your problem of returning to idle when you let go of the throttle. It works for me.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 17:20   #3

Boat: Compass 28

I control my 2GM with a Morse MV-2 single handle control, works very well. Much better than fiddling with 2 handles. Keep an eye out for people breaking-up boats.

lockie
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 20:30   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I was refering the to the Morse CH2100P single handed control Teleflex Morse Side Mt Control Sailboat TEL-CH2100P - Engine Controls - JMSOnline.net Marine Supply and Boating Store Not the the dual handle that was posted in the link. Anyone have one of these controlling their Yanmar 3GM30??

Also understand that Vetus and others make single handle controls that are supposed to work with the recent crop of engines and transmissions.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:02   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Surely someone is using the Morse CH2100 single handle engine controls or has reccomendations for other types of controls.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:15   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i do not like the single control--is not as easy to manage for me as is the double--i like my shift on port side of my binnacle and the throttle on the stbd side--much easier to manage. single is a pita.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:29   #7

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I have the 3GM30F controlled from my Edson pedestal using their single lever control (http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinesto...ndex&cPath=216). I am most satisfied with this unit. It is unobtrusive, direct, and natural in operation. To disengage the gears when increasing the RPM in idle, you simply press a small black button at the shaft of the handle. To re-engage, simply bring the handle back to idle position and it automatically is reset. Here are some pictures I took while installing, to show the guts.

I find a single handle unit to give me the most control. One hand remains on the wheel, the other puts me directly into forward gear, increases the RPM, or pulls aft to go into neutral, then reverse with increasing RPMs. It's smooth and natural, no letting go of the wheel to keep changing gears and adjusting the RPMs. It's actually addictive. Newbies catch on immediately to the sequence, as opposed to dancing between handles while being distracted by holding the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08242.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	41906   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08243.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	41907  

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:58   #8

Boat: Compass 28

For whatever lever you desire, just compare its specified travel with the required movement of the engine and tranny levers as shown in the engine manual. If they match, Bob's yer uncle.

lockie
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:17   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See the Teleflex/Morse Selection Guide:
http://www.pyacht.com/Morse-Selection.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 10:55   #10

Boat: Nordic 44 1980

I have a v drive yanmar 4jh3 turbo installed. The new owner wants the throttle lever reversed so speeding up means pushing the lever forward instead of as it is at present pulling it back to increase speed. Is there an easy fix,or way around this that does not cost millions of dollars to alter? The control is on an Edson pedestal and is a single lever. The v drive reverses the throttle direction,but wonder if there is a simple fix.
nordic 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 13:26   #11

This is what the inside of the single-lever Edson gearshift/throttle looks like. As you might be able to see, there are two possible ways to connect the cables, the opposite of each other. Go on line and download the installation instructions to determine what will work for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08243.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	53762  
Old 13-02-2013, 10:05   #12

Boat: Prairie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
For whatever lever you desire, just compare its specified travel with the required movement of the engine and tranny levers as shown in the engine manual. If they match, Bob's yer uncle.

lockie
Hi there,I am seeing in the service manual only singe lever control hook up, and when i look at operaters manual it has a note of single control only.I am installing a 3gm30 f on a boat that formerly had a qm30 and have a prexisting dual handle control . Is there a problem with using a dual control with a yanmar 3 gm30f ?I hope bobs my uncle.Thanks for any info.Sheepshank
Sheepshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 14:07   #13

Look at the articulation of whatever system you prefer or must retain. Move it back and forth, both for the gear shift and the throttle. The one that has the potential for greatest strength should be for the gear shift, because it takes more energy to shift. You choose which side based on how that pulls or pushes the cable to make the transmission/throttle, go in the direction you want. Or, pay a mechanic a hundred bucks to make that decision for you.
Old 13-02-2013, 14:40   #14

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Ideally, would like to find an old Morse sailboat removable dual handle set up but have been looking for a set for two years without success.

The engine immediately returns to idle as soon as you take your hand off the throttle.
I have a tiller steered PSC 34 with a 3HM35F engine.

I replaced my corroded Morse dual lever control with one from Boater Bits and have been happy with it.

DUAL LEVER SIDE MOUNT MARINE ENGINE CONTROLS - Engine Controls - Engine and Steering

I fixed the throttle creep by putting a bronze split bolt connector (4-1/0 size, I think) around the Morse cable and tightening it until the throttle stayed where I put it. Mine actually came from Lowes.

McMaster-Carr
wsmurdoch is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, engine, yanmar