Fighting numerous issues with one of our Yanmar
- Started with broken gear
cover assy on the starter. Replaced at sea and broke the spare. Bad day...
- In port 10 days later drained a lot of water
out of exhaust
hose. Got the engine
started (opened compression
levers, bled injectors, etc.)
- Next day running the engine
for warm up and oil
- Checked oil
- it is grey in color, not brown.
level in heat exhanger appears unchanged, maybe 1/2 inch lower, so not sure where contamination is coming from.
- Changed oil and filters 3 times to clear grey oil. Engine starts and runs fine...but for how long.
Initial thoughts include:
- What liquid would turn oil grey?
- How much antifreeze
would be required to turn oil grey?
- Head gasket
- Cracked or warped head
? (Not aware of any overheating
in last 500hrs - since we've owned boat).
- How could seawater get into oil?
Plan to pressure test cooling
system soon to see if over-pressure or loosing pressure.
Any other ideas or thoughts?