Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2011, 01:14   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Adelaide South Australia
Boat: Cole, Nantucket, 33
Posts: 17
Yanmar 3GM30 Exhaust Vapour and Tappets

I have a 3GM30 Yanmar that is raw water cooled in my Cole Nantucket 33. It runs well but the exhaust emits vapour or steam. I am sure that it is not white smoke. There is no sign of water in the oil. Does anyone know if this is normal?
I think I also need to adjust the tappets because they are noisy. Can anyone outline the steps to do this?
I bought my boat 3 years ago with 600 hours on the motor and it now has 800. Would this be considered a lot of hours for this engine. Externally it looks great ...no leaks and no corrosion. Cheers Reid
__________________

__________________
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 03:56   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oriental, NC
Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Posts: 1,429
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 exhaust vapour and tappets

Reid:

The water vapor may an indication that something is restricting raw water flow. Or it may just be normal operation in high humidity conditions.

Two possibilities: The easy one is the raw water impeller is missing some blades, replace. The more difficult one is the exhaust elbow where the raw water is injected in the exhaust stream is partially plugged. You can get some idea of how bad it may be by disconnecting the hose and jamming a screw driver in to see if you get a bunch of scale built up. The only real solution is to replace the elbow.

Adjusting valves is pretty easy. Take off the rocker arm cover. Using a socket wrench on the big nut on the crankshaft, rotate the engine until the #1 cyl (closest forward) is on its compression stroke. This means that both valves, intake and exhaust are closed. Use a feeler guage. I think that the specs are .004" for intake and .008" for exhaust.

To adjust back off on the lock nut on the rocker arm and use a screw driver to adjust to spec. Lock the nut. It usually takes 2-3 times to get it right because locking the nut changes the setting a little bit.

Then rotate the engine until #2 is on compression, then #3.

Eight hundred hours isn't much for either the exhaust elbow or valve lash to be bad, but impeller life is more based on years, not hours.

David
__________________

__________________
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 06:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,718
Images: 240
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 Exhaust Vapour and Tappets

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Reid.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 23:45   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tauranga, New Zealand
Boat: Wharram Tiki 38'
Posts: 29
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 Exhaust Vapour and Tappets

Reid, I have two of these engines. They both steam from the exhaust,. One more than the other. I have learned to ignore it. I rely on the over heating alarm.
__________________
Tiki 38' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:43   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 218
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 Exhaust Vapour and Tappets

I have the heat exchanger version of this engine. It does not emit water vapor. The only time it has is when it was overheating due to an exploded raw water impeller ;-).

In addition to what has already been said, vapor may depend on the size of you waterlift muffler (if you have one).

A larger than normal capacity waterlift muffler will have more water in the bottom, and tend to cool and condense any water vapor create by the mixing elbow.

If you do not have a waterlift muffler, then I would expect water vapor from the exhaust.
__________________
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:23   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Boat: 1975 Pearson 35
Posts: 145
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 Exhaust Vapour and Tappets

I have a 3GM30F, I have cleaned the elbow in a muriatic acid bath before, just make sure it's cast iron, then flush it well in clean water, I just had to clear out the hose elbow,too,
If your not overheating under full load I won't worry too much about a bit of steam.
__________________
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:54   #7
Registered User
 
Capitain Mike's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Amorgos Greece Mediterranean Sea
Boat: Cobra 850
Posts: 249
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 exhaust vapour and tappets

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Reid:

The water vapor may an indication that something is restricting raw water flow. Or it may just be normal operation in high humidity conditions.

Two possibilities: The easy one is the raw water impeller is missing some blades, replace. The more difficult one is the exhaust elbow where the raw water is injected in the exhaust stream is partially plugged. You can get some idea of how bad it may be by disconnecting the hose and jamming a screw driver in to see if you get a bunch of scale built up. The only real solution is to replace the elbow.

Adjusting valves is pretty easy. Take off the rocker arm cover. Using a socket wrench on the big nut on the crankshaft, rotate the engine until the #1 cyl (closest forward) is on its compression stroke. This means that both valves, intake and exhaust are closed. Use a feeler guage. I think that the specs are .004" for intake and .008" for exhaust.

To adjust back off on the lock nut on the rocker arm and use a screw driver to adjust to spec. Lock the nut. It usually takes 2-3 times to get it right because locking the nut changes the setting a little bit.

Then rotate the engine until #2 is on compression, then #3.

Eight hundred hours isn't much for either the exhaust elbow or valve lash to be bad, but impeller life is more based on years, not hours.

David
Yanmar recommend changing an impeller at the end of the season or after 250 hours personally I think that's is over doing it (but then they want to sell parts). If your engine is stationary all winter then you might find the impeller slightly out of shape (possibly) but if your in a position to run it that's good but you can always turn it over without running but not more than 10 seconds
otherwise you can flood it and get water in the engine. I change the impeller at the beginning of a new season. If changed at the end of the previous season its just sitting there getting squashed. Regarding actually changing the impeller take it out carefully then bend each wing/blade both ways and look where it joins the centre ring if there are no cracks etc. keep it as an emergency spare. If there are blades missing you must find and remove them.
otherwise you can get a blockage and over heat the engine. Don't forget if the exhaust elbow is blocked and causing a water problem that you can also get a blockage in the gooseneck if the pipe is breaking down internally
__________________
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:59   #8
Registered User
 
Capitain Mike's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Amorgos Greece Mediterranean Sea
Boat: Cobra 850
Posts: 249
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 Exhaust Vapour and Tappets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki 38' View Post
Reid, I have two of these engines. They both steam from the exhaust,. One more than the other. I have learned to ignore it. I rely on the over heating alarm.
Is your over heating alarm wired into the ignition panel or separate?
__________________
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:04   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 218
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 exhaust vapour and tappets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
Yanmar recommend changing an impeller at the end of the season or after 250 hours personally I think that's is over doing it (but then they want to sell parts). If your engine is stationary all winter then you might find the impeller slightly out of shape (possibly) but if your in a position to run it that's good but you can always turn it over without running but not more than 10 seconds
otherwise you can flood it and get water in the engine. I change the impeller at the beginning of a new season. If changed at the end of the previous season its just sitting there getting squashed. Regarding actually changing the impeller take it out carefully then bend each wing/blade both ways and look where it joins the centre ring if there are no cracks etc. keep it as an emergency spare. If there are blades missing you must find and remove them.
otherwise you can get a blockage and over heat the engine. Don't forget if the exhaust elbow is blocked and causing a water problem that you can also get a blockage in the gooseneck if the pipe is breaking down internally
Having had my impeller explode three times (each different seasons) and overheating the engine (once when I was approaching a busy anchorage in close quarters and it was blowing like snot), I would recommend changing it every season. Call it cheap insurance.

Also, when changing, be sure use the clear silicone grease (often supplied with the new impeller) to lube the pump housing.
__________________
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 14:59   #10
Registered User
 
Capitain Mike's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Amorgos Greece Mediterranean Sea
Boat: Cobra 850
Posts: 249
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 exhaust vapour and tappets

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail42 View Post
Having had my impeller explode three times (each different seasons) and overheating the engine (once when I was approaching a busy anchorage in close quarters and it was blowing like snot), I would recommend changing it every season. Call it cheap insurance.

Also, when changing, be sure use the clear silicone grease (often supplied with the new impeller) to lube the pump housing.
Good Point
Also, when changing, be sure use the clear silicone grease (often supplied with the new impeller) to lube the pump housing.

impeller explode three times (each different seasons)
Did you contact the Yanmar technical department it sounds as though you have a problem somewhere.

There have been other threads on here about this.

Yanmar 3YM30 Raw Water Pump Failure

Impeller [Archive] - SailboatOwners.com

http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/index.c...P=1&Redirect=1

Yanmar impeller problems - uk.rec.sailing | Google Groups

Water Pump Impeller Failure - rec.boats.cruising | Google Groups
__________________
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:04   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tauranga, New Zealand
Boat: Wharram Tiki 38'
Posts: 29
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 Exhaust Vapour and Tappets

Cptn Mike, it is wired into the control panel, when it overheats the alarm sounds. The same alarm that sounds after oil pressure drops after shutdown/startup. I know it works because once I forgot to turn the raw water seacock on. Why do you ask?
__________________
Tiki 38' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:40   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Adelaide Aus
Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Posts: 82
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 Exhaust Vapour and Tappets

Reid
I have 2 3gm30s I have the workshop manuals also .If you need to lend them give me a yell Im in yor neck of the woods
cheers Steve
__________________
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 13:21   #13
Registered User
 
Capitain Mike's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Amorgos Greece Mediterranean Sea
Boat: Cobra 850
Posts: 249
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 Exhaust Vapour and Tappets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki 38' View Post
Cptn Mike, it is wired into the control panel, when it overheats the alarm sounds. The same alarm that sounds after oil pressure drops after shutdown/startup. I know it works because once I forgot to turn the raw water seacock on. Why do you ask?
Extend it to the cockpit so you can hear it easily outside and have a backup installed also connect one into your muffler.
__________________
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 13:37   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tauranga, New Zealand
Boat: Wharram Tiki 38'
Posts: 29
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 Exhaust Vapour and Tappets

Great ideas! thanks.
__________________
Tiki 38' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 18:02   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 55
Re: Yanmar 3GM30 Exhaust Vapour and Tappets

Watch out for sticking tappets on these engines! In my honest opinion the Yanmar manuals and the "Small Diesel Engine" manual are not terribly useful. It is as if they were written on the basis of dismantling and re-assembling a new engine (i.e. no corrosion, no rust and no seized parts) Recently I have been working on a Yanmar 1GM10 that I bought as a project - it seemed a good idea at the time and the way that the advert was contrived implied that with a drop of WD-40 down the bore it might become a runner. The alleged history of it discovered after purchase is that it was in a six ton boat and about five years ago its owner lost interest. The boat was neglected for five years and AFAIK the boatyard sold it (in lieu of rent?) to its new owner. The engine had been sitting in "rainwater" (bilge more like) for a long time so the new owner removed it and put it on eBay. Oh dear what a horror, job #1 was removing the gearbox and flywheel to make the thing light enough to carry to my shed. The drive plate was stuck on its splines so I had to use a power drill and a burr to enlarge the middle ventilation slot on the gearbox mounting plate. With the slot looking like Kojak's lollipop it was possible to rotate the gearbox mounting plate and unscrew the six drive plate screws using a tubular spanner. The two parts then separated easily. Inside the flywheel housing there was a lot of rust and white alloy corrosion but as rust is about twenty times the volume of the metal that it came from this was no big deal. The engine had a stiff point so the head was pulled. Amazingly the bore was excellent, no rust and no ridge, virtually as-new. During the dismantling, flakes of lime-scale were discovered inside the thermostat housing. IMHO these flakes were the cause of the stiff point. I had by now noticed that the stiff point occurred every second turn! Something had rusted the aft tappet. Presumably the lime-scale flakes caused the engine to overheat. Presumably the head gasket then leaked causing sea-water to lodge in the aft tappet tunnel. Possibly this was when the second previous owner lost interest in the boat. So far the flywheel has been power-brushed back to shiny steel and painted with Duracote anti corrosive red oxide. The drive plate has also been reclaimed. It is mind boggling to think that someone lost his boat on account of a bit of lime-scale but there you go! I don't really like raw water cooled engines but my old colleague "Captain Bligh" often waxes lyrical over the 1GM10s. In actual fact I prefer the other brand which is a fresh water cooled twin that is really no heavier. For open work boats where there are a lot of jellyfish, air cooling has a lot to recommend it.
__________________

__________________
Davey1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, exhaust, yanmar

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RPMs for Yanmar 3gm30 irwin28 Engines and Propulsion Systems 19 01-05-2011 10:06
Overheating Yanmar 3gm30 c spink Engines and Propulsion Systems 1 12-09-2010 22:12
25' Yanmar 3GM30 Exhaust Run (!)... Max Length / Height ? akio.kanemoto Engines and Propulsion Systems 19 15-06-2010 10:13
For Sale: Yanmar 3GM30 ringmiller Classifieds Archive 1 16-03-2010 14:56
Yanmar 3gm30. Jacana Engines and Propulsion Systems 4 19-03-2008 10:14



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.