Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2013, 06:37   #1

Yanmar 3gm cylinder head needed

I need a used cylinder head for a yanmar 3gm
Raw water cooled engine around a 1990
If you have one let me know call 775-720-7598
Robertamarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 16:31   #2

Boat: Brent Swain design 36' steel sloop
Re: Yanmar 3gm cylinder head needed

I may need a head for my 3GMF as well. If I find one will let you know and if you find an extra could you kindly let me know??

I note that in Torreson Marine
Cylinder Head Assembly Yanmar 728372-11700 Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts

That they are $1582.64, part number 728372-11700. It lists the part as a cylinder head assembly but not sure what that would include--have asked for clarification.</B>

I have also been dealing with Scott Marine and they seem to have the lowest prices so far and ship anywhere.

Scott Marine Power, Inc.
3786 S.W. 30th Ave.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312
954-584-7668 Phone
954-584-7670 Fax
305-232-7678 Miami
888-584-7668 NY or Toll Free
www.scottmarinepower.com

What is the matter with your head if I may ask??
Thanks, Mark Hamill
mhamill1@telus.net
sunbear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 18:26   #3

I have an almost complete 3GM engine that had brackish water enter a cylinder and allowed to sit. The block/pistons/crank were frozen and could not be repaired but the rest of the engine part look good including transmission. This was not a sinker, while docked the boat was stern to some wave action and took water up the exhaust and into the block, however not enough to submerge the head. I have totally dismantled the engine and parting it out. Starter and alternator sold but have everything else including injectors/pump/cam/flywheel/transmission/oil pan/heat exchanger/etc. I would prefer that the engine parts be inspected prior to purchase so no issues of buying site unseen. I would not recommend reinstalling the head without at least a machine shop inspection and reconditioning with new valves/springs. I can take pictures this weekend if interested. I live close to Green Cove Springs, FL.

John
Pirate007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 10:06   #4

Hi John: Thanks for your reply. May be interested in the head and there is somebody locally that might want the transmission--will contact and see if they are. Any idea how many hours on the motor and if the valves are all moving freely?? A shot of the transmission with gear ratio as well please. Cheers, Mark
Old 22-07-2013, 17:29   #5

Pictures of Transmission posted on flickr.com / johnt0911. Looks almost new, shifts, no signs of rust on bolts, or oil weeping at seals, spline in good condition, shift is smooth. Gear ratio is 2.62. Oil looked good when drained and no signs of water/metal/sludge.

I do not feel comfortable in selling the head unless to a local buyer and after a machine shop evaluation. Head looks good but all seats/valves/springs should be replaced as due diligence. Alternative is I can take it to a machine shop in Jacksonville for an opinion and after inspection you can decide if you want to make a very good deal on it.

Also, lot's of other parts off the engine are available. I do not know how old the engine is or how many hours. The sailboat it came off has not been used for years and sits at the dock on the St Johns River. Judging by the exterior looks and what I found when parting the engine out I would guess this engine did not have excessive hours on it and showed few signs of external corrosion. The transmission looks like new as can be seen by the bolts in the interior of the flywheel housing. The other parts look as good.

John
Pirate007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 15:21   #6

Hi John: I have decided to have a local machinist do the work--it wasn't as hooped as I thought. Have let the local guy know about the transmission--It looks new!! I need a mixing elbow and engine mounts if you have them. Thanks for all your efforts. Best Regards, Mark H
Old 27-07-2013, 19:09   #7

Boat: Newport 30 MK III

You might give these people a call. Yanmar tractor parts often interchange.

Yanmar Tractor Parts - Shop Online

Tags
3gm, head, yanmar