Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 10:50   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

Hello cruizers. I inherited a Yanmar 2QM20 diesel engine. Unfortunately it had sat for several years and was seized. Upon looking for a rebuild kit I was told that Yanmar had "obsoleted" the engine and would not be supporting with parts etc in the future. So I am not rebuilding it and thought there MUST be some sailors out there that need parts off this engine. I think that the super rare exhaust manifold is even good (though I will have to look closer before I sell/ship) Not looking to get rich but need to make it worth my while. Need anything shoot me an e-mail and a offer at jeffgrebe at hotmail
__________________

__________________
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 17:59   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: sydney, australia
Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Posts: 1,021
Images: 3
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

yeah, i got told something similiar by a boat mechanic who should have known better, also got told by a mechanic who DID know better that that engine is still being manufactured in Brazil and parts for it will be available for a long time to come yet. I went with the second guy and found all the parts i needed...
__________________

__________________
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 20:06   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
Hello cruizers. I inherited a Yanmar 2QM20 diesel engine. Unfortunately it had sat for several years and was seized. Upon looking for a rebuild kit I was told that Yanmar had "obsoleted" the engine and would not be supporting with parts etc in the future. So I am not rebuilding it and thought there MUST be some sailors out there that need parts off this engine. I think that the super rare exhaust manifold is even good (though I will have to look closer before I sell/ship) Not looking to get rich but need to make it worth my while. Need anything shoot me an e-mail and a offer at jeffgrebe at hotmail
Where are you > I need a cylinder head Im in NZ but fihis can be posted from Australia
__________________
mick5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 20:09   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
yeah, i got told something similiar by a boat mechanic who should have known better, also got told by a mechanic who DID know better that that engine is still being manufactured in Brazil and parts for it will be available for a long time to come yet. I went with the second guy and found all the parts i needed...
Do you knowwhere can get cyjinder head for yhis motor 2qm20? Im in NZ but can be posted
__________________
mick5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 04:47   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: sydney, australia
Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Posts: 1,021
Images: 3
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

bought some injectors from the yanmar dealers in westhaven last time i was over - try them (sorry, forget their name) --- good prices too
__________________
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 10:34   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

I'm in WA state US. Probably more freight than you want to spend
__________________
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 10:36   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

So charliehows. I'm interested. Is there a name or a connection to the Brazilian manufacturer. The Yanmar dealer here doesn't offer much help and don't want to have an orphan engine
__________________
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 02:51   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: sydney, australia
Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Posts: 1,021
Images: 3
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

sorry mate my post was for the benefit of others who might read your post and be misled about the availability of parts for their engine
__________________
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 04:18   #9
Registered User

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Queensland, Australia
Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Posts: 242
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

Try Minards phone 02 4967 4444 very helpful and great service .
__________________
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 02:31   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

that sorted youcan get" new" parts for 2 qm20 cyl head australia ex minards NSW 5000 aus dollar ex whitings auckland nz 4000 dollar
__________________
mick5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 03:55   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: sydney, australia
Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Posts: 1,021
Images: 3
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

yeah thats them - whitings power systems in beaumont st westhaven - i think they have a better inventory than anyone in australia and they're cheaper - aus $1 = nz $1.20
__________________
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 13:11   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick5575 View Post
Do you knowwhere can get cyjinder head for yhis motor 2qm20? Im in NZ but can be posted
Try Hoyetractor
Yanmar Tractor Parts - Shop Online
Search for YM2000 cylinder head in parts, it's name is CH-2000, and cost 598$. It is a replica of the TR16 head which is used on 2QM20, it is a bare head, so you have to take the valves and springs from your old head, and move to the new one. The gaskets and other stuff, injection valves and etc. are also available from this seller. I've got one from them this winter, and my engine runs like new again.
Best Regards
Michael Juul Hansen
Denmark
__________________
mjhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 17:54   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: sydney, australia
Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Posts: 1,021
Images: 3
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

michael, do you know if there is a generic starter motor for these engines - i'm interested in sourcing a spare but the yanmar suppliers charge a pretty ridiculous markup. So far i havent had much luck tracking hoye spares here (australia)
cheers, charlie
__________________
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 03:49   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
michael, do you know if there is a generic starter motor for these engines - i'm interested in sourcing a spare but the yanmar suppliers charge a pretty ridiculous markup. So far i havent had much luck tracking hoye spares here (australia)
cheers, charlie
Hi Charlie, there is a lot of replacement starters for Hitachi S114-206, but are you looking for a 1.0kW or a 1.3kW starter? I think 2QM20 has used both. In mine it's a 1.3kW. A replacement for this is Mitsubishi 243-12126
Gear Reduction 15 Tooth, CW, 1.4kW Starter Replacing original Direct Drive, 15 Tooth, CW, 1.3kW Yanmar Tractor YM1700 2TR17 Engine 1975-1990 YM2000 2TR20 Engine 1975-1990.

This one cost 139US$, it's the cheapest I can find, you can buy it from here:
New Starter Yanmar Tractor 2TR20, 2TR17 Engine (S114-145, S114-146) - 16710 H-OSGR - HITACHI STARTERS FOR HEAVY DUTY AND AGRICULTURAL
Best Regards
Michael
__________________
mjhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 14:26   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

To Michael - I want to thank you for your informative posts. I am about to go down the exact path you have, and by your comments with high confidence.

If you had any particular challenges replacing your original 2QM20 Cylinder Head with the CH-2000 aftermarket head, please give details? (Were there any things that did not align well, required adapters, etc... the exhaust manifold, the injectors, etc... that I should be prepared for?)

Hoye has been very helpful, as is the diesel mechanic I am working with, and so far I am very encouraged... just trying to avoid any expensive mis-steps.

So far... so good. Thanks again for your info thus far, and any further comments you may have.

Fair winds, following seas, and safe journeys to you.
Scrambleman
__________________

__________________
Scrambleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2qm20, parts, yanmar

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:32.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.