Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2015, 22:40   #1

Boat: Savage Nautilus with Yanmar 2qm15 inboard diesel.
Yanmar 2qm15 rebuild cost?

Hi,
I have a Yanmar 2qm15, 2 cylinder marine diesel engine in my boat that is blowing smoke and burning oil. Before I pull the engine out and go to a diesel mechanic I would like to get a rough idea of what to expect to pay to have the engine reconditioned.

I'm based in Australia and can't find a decent marine diesel forum over here to post my question. I realise costs would differ in the US and it would depend on price and availability of parts, and the amount of work required for a full reco job, but I'm only after a rough ballpark figure. Would anyone have any idea as a rough guide.

thanks.
bony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 23:14   #2

Re: Yanmar 2qm15 rebuild cost?

If you are on the east coast ring Minard Marine they may have a service exchange unit at true Aussie pricing
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 23:33   #3

Hi shakey doug,

I'm in South Gippsland, Victoria, but I'll give Minards a ring anyway. They might have some advice I can use.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 14-03-2015, 01:51   #4

The Wooden Boat Shop at Sorrento maybe able to help.
Old 14-03-2015, 02:52   #5

Thanks, I'll give 'em a ring during the week.

Cheers.
Old 14-03-2015, 08:20   #6

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

Just curious how old and how many hours ?
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 11:10   #7

Boat: Hunter 33.5

If you have Skype, get the tel# for, "Complete Yachts Service" in Ft.Lauderdale, Florida. Ask for the owner Mark, (USMC) and tell him Pat N told you to call. He is the Yanmar Dealer there and will answer all your questions.
He will also ship parts...........
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 11:54   #8

Boat: Ontario32

Hello Bony, Aye believe we had a previous thread going regarding a Kbww10 gearbox which was likely connected to this engine. Anyway I have a 2QM20 engine in the ship. The PO is a very good friend and turned over all documentation with the ship when I purchased her. The engine was rebuilt in 2005 and the invoice amount was $7000 Canadian dollars...he could have bought new for a few bucks more but not my move. For the money spent he got a bill that included $3500 for labour costs. The other half covered off the following tasks: rebuilt fuel pump...main crank bearings replaced and crankshaft polished...head planed out to spec...valves resurfaced...gearbox shifting yoke and thrust washers replaced. Many small items in the invoice list in terms of parts so a bit of an idea on the cost side. Not saying you have to go to these efforts. My PO had a dream and it wasnot fulfilled, I benefited from his investment though.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 14:05   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Before rebuilding a 2QM15 I would recommend reviewing the replacement option. I previously owned one and it is not the smoothest running engine Yanmar ever built. I sold my boat before I had to deal with it but a friend had to make the same decision you are currently making. I don't remember the exact numbers but the difference between rebuild and replacement was about $2,000 US. He chose to rebuild and has kicked himself ever since. Shortly after he had problems with starter, alternator, heat exchanger etc. it ended up costing him more and he still ended up with a rebulld rather than new and still an older style engine. i would recommend looking at a full replacement and you will ha e a better engine.
Sinbad51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 15:33   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I have just gone through the process of rebuilding a Yanmar YSM8 doing everything except the crankshaft grind myself & will write about my experiences in full later but basically if you cant do most of the work yourself I think you are better off to buy a replacement engine. Parts prices are horrendous in NZ & none too cheap in Aus. You can buy a used running engine for less than the price of a conrod here. If you have to buy parts buy them from the USA.
If I need a rebuild again I would go new if I could afford it or a good used running engine. Bukh parts prices are even more expensive apparently!
Hope that helps.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 00:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Sirena View Post
Just curious how old and how many hours ?
The engine came with the boat I purchased from a PO. He had no idea how old it was or what hours it had done. It didn't smoke and ran ok when I bought it but has now begun to blow white smoke at idle and higher revs. The smoke smells like burning rubber so I'm assuming it's burning oil.

Thanks to everyone for the interesting replies. I naturally would prefer to repower with a new modern engine but can't afford it. Finding a good used later model engine seems like the sensible way to go. Finding an engine to suit the angle of my boat's shaft log will be an iteresting exercise though.

Thanks again for the advice...it seems whatever option I take is gonna hurt.

Regards.
Old 15-03-2015, 01:03   #12

If you want to make contact via 43southdiesel@gmail.com
Old 30-03-2015, 03:00   #13

Hi,
Thought I'd better do an update to let you all know where I'm at with my smokey engine problem and my noisy gearbox problem.

I decided to tackle the gearbox problem first and have managed to get hold of a good Kanzaki KBW10 which came off a 3GM30. The bell housings are different but the box is the same. I had trouble separating my old tranny from the engine 'cause the damper disk was rusted so bad it was almost as if it was welded to the input shaft. I had to cut an acess hole in the housing to get at the damper disk bolts and managed to get the thing apart. Now the tranny is home in my workshop and I still can't get the disk off the shaft. I've tried soaking it, heating it, and pulling it and have pretty well destroyed the disk in the process but she remains stuck fast. I'm trying electrolysis now as my last resort. I've got it soaking in a baking soda solution with a battery charger connected to it. I'd like to think I'll go out to the shed in the mornibg and see the disk laying in the bottom of the bucket, but it's a big ask.

I just priced a new Damper Disk from Minard's in Queensland. The original Yanmar part number is 124772-81050 and it must have 10 splines to fit the KBW10 tranny. Minards have quoted $AU366 delivered. Does anyone know where I can get a new disk a little less expensive?

My smoky engine will have to wait until I get this disk problem sorted.

Cheers.

Tags
2qm15, rebuild, yanmar