Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 13:40   #1
O32

Boat: Ontario 32
Yanmar 2QM1. Head gasket leaking

Surveyor found that port side of our 2QM15 head gasket is leaking. No sign of water or rust below engine, so presumably it gets evaporated when engine is running. There is moisture and rust on block just below gasket. Engine is raw water cooled, and no water comes out head joint when idling.

How exactly should I go about removing the head and replacing the gasket?

Would I need to disassemble anything other than the exhaust pipe?

I have manuals, but steps required are not too clear (to me!)

I am reasonably mechanical, but if job is more complex, I may still get a marine mechanic to do the job.
O32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 15:01   #2

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Yanmar 2QM1. Head gasket leaking

recently replaced head gasket on a 2qm20 raw water eng. In my case there was a little oil showing on the inlet side. stripping off the head was very easy. both head and eng. surfaces looked ok so i put in the new gasket and tightened her up. Still leaking a little oil - my current lesson - the combustion chamber is well sealed by the gasket but the ancillary areas - oilways, waterways, may require a bit of gasket sealer to ensure they are sufficiently isolated. When i get around to doing mine again I'll try a bit of hylomar on the gasket around the oil and water ways.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 15:09   #3
O32

Re: Yanmar 2QM15. Head gasket leaking

Glad to hear it is easy to remove head!

Just what are the steps involved?

Any other seals required other than head gasket?
Old 04-07-2018, 15:10   #4

oh - and - yes - you need to pull off the exhaust manifold and disconnect the external oilfeed to the rockers (I think I pulled the starter motor as well so I could get the oil line off for inspection, but I dont think thats necessary just to do the head gasket), loosen the tappets and reset them on assembly. Take the opportunity to carefully inspect the rocker oil line for any corrosion.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:36   #5

If it is a minor leak it may benefit from having the cylinder head bolts re-tightened. This is usually a lot less fuss than replacing the gasket and may well do the trick. If not there is no harm done.
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 22:46   #6

One further note, if you re-tighten the head bolts only; each bolt is individually loosened and then re-tightened to the specifications in the manual. This should be done in the sequence recommended in the manual and the bolts should be well lubricated.

Good luck.
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:57   #7
O32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
One further note, if you re-tighten the head bolts only; each bolt is individually loosened and then re-tightened to the specifications in the manual. This should be done in the sequence recommended in the manual and the bolts should be well lubricated.

Good luck.
It would be nice if that is all I had to do. But potential buyer for boat wants at least a new gasket to be installed. I may do work myself if keeping the boat, but buyer wants work done and guaranteed by a pro. Hard to find anyone in our area that will do the work in any reasonable time frame
Old 12-07-2018, 06:33   #8
O32

Re: Yanmar 2QM15. Head gasket leaking

Looking at taking head off myself. I think I now know what the steps are. My only concerns are getting some of the bolts out without breaking them.

There are two options. Disconnect exhaust manifold or disconnect exhaust flange.

The parts manual shows 6 studs with regular nuts for the manifold. But on engine, instead of two of the nuts, there are long (~2") hex connectors on two upper studs. Sort of like type you would use with threaded rod. And there is a smaller hex bolt head at the end. Maybe someone did a modification along the way? But cant think why. See circle in pic below.

Exhaust has 4 bolts. Hard to get PB Blaster into thread area. May need some heat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manifold hex extentions.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	173444  
Old 12-07-2018, 14:23   #9

There are two options. Disconnect exhaust manifold or disconnect exhaust flange.

I wont repeat myself - if you're not listening, you'll just be not listening twice.
Old 12-07-2018, 16:26   #10
O32

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
I wont repeat myself - if you're not listening, you'll just be not listening twice.
You won't be repeating yourself, because you didn't answer the first time. But forget it anyway, you have a different engine.
Old 12-07-2018, 17:35   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O32 View Post
The parts manual shows 6 studs with regular nuts for the manifold. But on engine, instead of two of the nuts, there are long (~2") hex connectors on two upper studs. Sort of like type you would use with threaded rod. And there is a smaller hex bolt head at the end. Maybe someone did a modification along the way? But cant think why. See circle in pic below.
Yes, this is most likely explanation; possibly to mount some extraneous equipment or a bracket to mount same. Never underestimate the power of the previous owner to do strange things on a boat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by O32 View Post
You won't be repeating yourself, because you didn't answer the first time. But forget it anyway, you have a different engine.
I reckon you are being too hard on charliehows. From his previous posts, he clearly has a lot of small diesel engine experience and he shares his knowledge freely on CF. I have found his posts about engines to be clear, to the point and always accurate. In this instance he referred to a 2QM20 which is almost exactly the same as your 2QM15 and as far as head removal goes, it is the same!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 20:18   #12
O32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yes, this is most likely explanation; possibly to mount some extraneous equipment or a bracket to mount same.
It does seem so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I reckon you are being too hard on charliehows.
snipped
In this instance he referred to a 2QM20 which is almost exactly the same as your 2QM15 and as far as head removal goes, it is the same!
Yeah, but he was less than polite and didn't seem to understand question. And he was wrong about needing to pull the manifold because of an external oil feed to rockers. So far as I know, the 2QM15 doesn't have an external oil line to rockers.

There is a good description of a 2QM15 rebuild elsewhere here in which they pulled the head with manifold attached. I was trying to decide whether to do that or remove manifold first. However studs would prevent lifting head off manifold, so seems to me part of exhaust will need to be disconnected anyway, so manifold can be pulled to the side off the studs before head is lifted off.

Thanks all for input.
Old 13-07-2018, 12:52   #13

well thats interesting - op is right, on the 2qm15 in the vid./photos he posted link to, there is no external oil feed to the rockers - the engine casting has the same exit point below the starter but it doesnt appear to be drilled/tapped for the oil line, and there doesnt appear to be space under the exhaust manifold for the 2 input banjos. Begs the question - how are the rockers oiled on this model? Given the tiny number of people who are at all interested in these little engines ( I count myself as only having a ho-hum level of interest - about the amount necessary to keep mine going ) we may never know.....
Old 13-07-2018, 17:06   #14
O32

For the few that may be interested, the rockers receive oil via an internal passage in the block. It is shown in the 2QM15 parts book.
Old 14-07-2018, 01:15   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^, I'm one of the interested ones!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, head, yanmar