Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 10:39   #1

Boat: Bristol 32
Yanmar 2gmf tach

Last summer, the tach started giving intermittent low readings, like 1,000 rpm when the engine was clearly doing 2,000. Then it just died, and won't read anything. I spent the last half of the summer reading rpm's by ear.

A 90's 2gmf with less than 1,000 hours, but lots of weather on the panel. (this is Maine.) Love the engine, by the way. Drives my old Bristol 32 just fine.

I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't find it with the search function. Any ideas?
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:22   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Yanmar 2gmf tach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebristol View Post
Last summer, the tach started giving intermittent low readings, like 1,000 rpm when the engine was clearly doing 2,000. Then it just died, and won't read anything. I spent the last half of the summer reading rpm's by ear.

A 90's 2gmf with less than 1,000 hours, but lots of weather on the panel. (this is Maine.) Love the engine, by the way. Drives my old Bristol 32 just fine.

I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't find it with the search function. Any ideas?
Before doing anything radical, try checking the plug connector in the wiring harness. You may find that one of the pin connections has failed and can easily be remedied. BTDT...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, yanmar