Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 15:55   #16

Boat: Farr 1020
Re: YANMAR 2GM20F water cooling loop

When buying these seals from my seal and bearing supplier I have them take the SS o-ring out and replace it with a rubber o-ring for the salt water duty. The ss ring is satisfactory for the oil side on engine driven pumps but not for salt water.
These seals should be fitted open side to the pressure for the design sealing requirement.
Acushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 16:11   #17

Boat: Compass 28

These pumps are easy to refurbish. For normal wear and tear you don't need any ridiculously overpriced Yanmar-branded parts except maybe the impeller and the cover gasket.

The bearings and seal are generics easily found, and you can polish the lip-seal scoring out of the shaft easily with progressively finer emery till it's nice and mirror-shiny.

A day's work and 20 or 30 bucks and you pretty much have a (as good as) new pump. My last refurb has about 400 hours on it and so far has plenty of flow and no drips.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 05:56   #18

Looks like I will need to rebuild or replace it. Luckily when I got it apart my buddy had a mechanic on the dock. Took him two seconds to look at the bearings and tell me it needed to be rebuilt.

Replacing a part like an entire pump is very easy for me even if I don't have a guide. However opening things up like this is a bit over my head ( still like doing it because I start to learn about everything ). I'm going to talk to a mechanic I know to see if all of this can be rebuilt easily with some help. Also contacted someone to rebuild it for me so getting pricing for that.

Now that I've had all these issues I was looking at this major kit on this website Yanmar 2GM20F Parts and I'm thinking I may go through and replace everything they have on there this winter. It may just be bad luck but I also feel like the previous owner took really good care of the boat but not the engine (for example my spare impeller wasn't even the correct one for my engine so I'm fairly certain he never replaced it or even looked at it).

Side note. Also looking at how I can get the engine to start better in the cold since it doesn't have glowplug and apparently has issues around here in the winter (baltimore).
sxsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 07:30   #19

Funny story. I took everything apart and there is no seal. Totally confused I seek help from fellow pier mates. Yeah there is no seal. The seal is missing....Maybe it blew apart when the impeller blew apart?

Either way I replaced that and today I am picking up two bearings and replacing them as well. Should be almost good as new!
sxsilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, cooling, water, yanmar