Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 05:20   #1

Boat: 1983 31' Hunter
Yanmar 2GM problem

I have a problem with the Yanmar 2GM in my Hunter 31. First a little background info: The engine has 1200 hrs, has just had an oil change, all filters (air, fuel) changed and Trans oil changed. The engine starts great and idles smoothly and does not smoke at all and accelerates smoothly. Engine temp is a steady 180 F.

At around 1180 hrs I started noticing the full throttle RPM's decreasing from 3200 now down to 2500. I have not changed the wheel and the bottom is cleaned monthly. I have verified the rpms with an optical Tach, and checked the idle speed (900 rpms) and inspected the throttle linkage and adjustment and can find nothing out of adjustment. Any ideas on where to look next? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
sharkwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:35   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar 2GM problem

Does it run up to max rpm (>3200 rpm) in neutral?
Have you checked valve lash?
Have you checked for blockages in the exhaust manifold and mixing elbow?

These would be the things I would check next before going to more expensive things (injectors etc)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:41   #3

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

The 2gm exhaust elbow lasts about 700 hours before these symptoms develop. Followed shortly by a blown manifold and head gasket.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Does it run up to max rpm (>3200 rpm) in neutral?
Have you checked valve lash?
Have you checked for blockages in the exhaust manifold and mixing elbow?

These would be the things I would check next before going to more expensive things (injectors etc)
It will run up to 3200 in neutral. I have not checked valve lash or the exhaust manifold. I guess those are the next things to check.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:01   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

The replacement interval on the OEM mixing elbow on the engine is 500 hours. Obstruction will cause the symptoms you describe. The good news is that the replacement is not that difficult. The bad news is that the replacment part is not inexpensive. BTDT...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:42   #6
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
The 2gm exhaust elbow lasts about 700 hours before these symptoms develop. Followed shortly by a blown manifold and head gasket.
Nonsense.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 18:30   #7

^^ I concur with NoTies!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-12-2018, 18:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkwatcher View Post
It will run up to 3200 in neutral. I have not checked valve lash or the exhaust manifold. I guess those are the next things to check.
Yes and although the valve lash is easier, I would suggest the exhaust elbow is the more likely culprit but really both need to be ruled out before looking further afield.
Old 01-12-2018, 19:13   #9

I pulled the exhaust and mixing U elbow, which was pretty carbon'd up. As soon as I get a replacement, install it and test run it, I'll share the results. Thanks again to all's help and advice!
Old 01-12-2018, 19:26   #10
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Wow, lucky you got on to that before the engine block split in two, the head burst off and wrecked the cockpit sole and the resulting explosion blew your boat out of the water.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 22:11   #11

Quote:
I pulled the exhaust and mixing U elbow, which was pretty carbon'd up. As soon as I get a replacement, install it and test run it, I'll share the results. Thanks again to all's help and advice!
You could, of course try to clean the existing one. At least clean it as much as you can - mechanically poke and prod the deposits wherever you can and assuming it is a cast iron / cast steel, then put it in a caustic soda bath which will help removing the carbon.

If it has salt deposits, use a acid bath (muriatic acid). Just don't get the caustic soda and near the acid bath - that is a BAD combination.

However I get that you might prefer just getting a new one .

EDIT: well done for finding the issue - I'm sure this will be the cause of your engine problem
Old 01-12-2018, 22:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Wow, lucky you got on to that before the engine block split in two, the head burst off and wrecked the cockpit sole and the resulting explosion blew your boat out of the water.
You are correct but you forget that is a northern hemisphere issue ; for readers below the equator, you don't have to worry about such occurrences.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You could, of course try to clean the existing one. At least clean it as much as you can - mechanically poke and prod the deposits wherever you can and assuming it is a cast iron / cast steel, then put it in a caustic soda bath which will help removing the carbon.

If it has salt deposits, use a acid bath (muriatic acid). Just don't get the caustic soda and near the acid bath - that is a BAD combination.

However I get that you might prefer just getting a new one .

EDIT: well done for finding the issue - I'm sure this will be the cause of your engine problem
My game plan is to replace with the new elbow, clean the old one and save it for next time (hopefully, there wont be a next time), assuming I can adequately clean it so it is a worthwhile spare. It's always better to have a spare you don't need, that need a spare you don't have or cant get!
Old 02-12-2018, 04:09   #14

Quote:
My game plan is to replace with the new elbow, clean the old one and save it for next time (hopefully, there wont be a next time), assuming I can adequately clean it so it is a worthwhile spare. It's always better to have a spare you don't need, that need a spare you don't have or cant get!
Good plan
Old 02-12-2018, 04:29   #15

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Yes, a spare will ensure you will never have that problem again.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, yanmar