Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 18:03   #1

Boat: Searunner 37 1974 #25
Yanmar 2GM buzzer problem

The buzzer on my Yanmar 2gm does not come on when I turn the key on and does not come on when I kill the motor. The buzzer does come on when I try the system test toggle switch. Does anyone know the problem? Everything else is normal.

Thanks
Captryan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 18:47   #2
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31
Re: Yanmar 2GM buzzer problem

Do you have the wiring schematic? I've been study the wiring of our 2GM of late. Don't know much, but it seems that the system test lets you know if the buzzer is functioning, not the pressure gauge.

Below is the schematic for my 1987 2GM20F. Maybe it will help.

Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 19:35   #3

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Not familair with your system, but...
I have seen one where the buzzer works with a fuel pressure or other switch in the circuit, so the buzzer only functions when the engine runs. This might explain why there is a test switch. You can test the oil pressure or temp switch with a voltmeter or by grounding it.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 21:15   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

The buzzer wire is positively charged by the ignition wire, it runs to the oil pressure switch on the engine near the forward end. When the ignition is turned on, and the engine is not running (i.e., not creating oil pressure), the switch is the ground. When the engine is running, the switch turns off, shutting off the ground to the oil pressure buzzer. The toggle switch is a separate connection to ground, making the buzzer go off. Sounds like the oil pressure switch might be faulty.

If you install a tee where the switch is located, you can add an oil pressure sender to allow you to read the actual oil pressure. I mounted a red alarm lamp above the oil pressure gauge, in parallel with the buzzer. That way anybody can understand that the noise is oil pressure related.

While I was at it, I added additional idiot lights and buzzers to let me know when the engine was overheating, when the waterpump stopped doing so, when the fuel filter vacuum got too high, when the alternator stopped making juice, when there was water in the fuel filter, and when the regulator had been switched into small engine mode. Each buzzer was a different sound (Radio Shack sells them) so I can be asleep, offwatch, and know what alarm just went off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05442.jpg
Views:	1991
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	59009   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-8-2008 12-51-56 PM_0001.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	59010  

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:29   #5

Boat: Searunner 37 1974 #25

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I found the oil sender, clean it up and now everything is working well! I really appreciate the help. Roy M., I also have a Searunner I just purchased and I'm really loving it. Busy trying to get it up to speed. Your boat is very impressive.

Thanks again,

Stu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1008.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	59073  
Captryan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:26   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Nice looking panel Ron!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 04:51   #7
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

[QUOTE=Roy M;1

While I was at it, I added additional idiot lights and buzzers to let me know when the engine was overheating, when the waterpump stopped doing so, when the fuel filter vacuum got too high, when the alternator stopped making juice, when there was water in the fuel filter, and when the regulator had been switched into small engine mode. Each buzzer was a different sound (Radio Shack sells them) so I can be asleep, offwatch, and know what alarm just went off.[/QUOTE]

Crankin'
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:22   #8

Boat: Cape Horn 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
The buzzer wire is positively charged by the ignition wire, it runs to the oil pressure switch on the engine near the forward end. When the ignition is turned on, and the engine is not running (i.e., not creating oil pressure), the switch is the ground. When the engine is running, the switch turns off, shutting off the ground to the oil pressure buzzer. The toggle switch is a separate connection to ground, making the buzzer go off. Sounds like the oil pressure switch might be faulty.

If you install a tee where the switch is located, you can add an oil pressure sender to allow you to read the actual oil pressure. I mounted a red alarm lamp above the oil pressure gauge, in parallel with the buzzer. That way anybody can understand that the noise is oil pressure related.

While I was at it, I added additional idiot lights and buzzers to let me know when the engine was overheating, when the waterpump stopped doing so, when the fuel filter vacuum got too high, when the alternator stopped making juice, when there was water in the fuel filter, and when the regulator had been switched into small engine mode. Each buzzer was a different sound (Radio Shack sells them) so I can be asleep, offwatch, and know what alarm just went off.
Hi Roy, I know this is an old post, but I'm really impressed by your panel. I'm trying to do the schematics to do my own yanmar panel. In the Yanmar Service Manual and harness drawing, i don't see negative connections for the buzzer. It seems to be a 5 pin buzzer with only positive connections... I was thinking of adding one of those light/buzzer industrial combos with X1 and X2 inputs.. Could you comment on that?

Did you bypass the light switch to make your own panel? or did you add a component to test your buzzers?

Thank you!!
Pedro -Dawn- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, yanmar