Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2017, 06:15   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Yanmar 1GM10 Engine Mounts

Yanmar uses the “70" (front) and “50" (rear) mounts on their 1GM.
Like these ➥ Flexible Mounts

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:01   #17

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Yanmar uses the “70" (front) and “50" (rear) mounts on their 1GM.
Like these ➥ Flexible Mounts
Thanks for that GordMay. I now know that I have OEM mounts on my 1GM. Good to know what to look for when it comes time to replace them (i.e. 70 and 50). Adding that to my records. Thanks again!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:37   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Well right now the engine noise and hull vibration is deafening. By comparison, our friends Volvo Penta diesel in their '36 Jouet is nearly undetectable. Maybe it's just my boat and engine.
Sound and vibration abatement on a boat can be very difficult. Make sure you have sound absorption and sound blocking in your "engine room". Also make sure that you don't have bulkheads or sections of hull or cabinetry that are acting as speakers. Its a complicated subject and there are a few threads discussing it. Worth looking for IMO.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 18:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
The 1GM is never going to be silent, but it shouldn't be deafening either. I suspect the Volvo engine in your friend's 36' boat has more than one cylinder, so it's probably not an equal comparison.
Well I had to very experienced boat people look at it, and both say that its normal. They state that there is nothing wrong with my mounts or my engine.

They did however suggest things like felt pads on the captains table, and other things for vibration reduction because right now a lot of the noise is coming from things like that.

It was explained to me that the 1 cylinder engines are always going to be noisy, just because of the physics of the thing.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 18:24   #20
Marine Service Provider

I just used the 800-037 mounts from R&D marine (same as sold by pyi). I am very happy. Better than the original yanmar an very rubbery. Isolates my 3Gm30f nicely.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 19:10   #21

Quote:

It was explained to me that the 1 cylinder engines are always going to be noisy, just because of the physics of the thing.
True, but it shouldn't shake your fillings out of your teeth.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 19:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
True, but it shouldn't shake your fillings out of your teeth.
Well, since I've never been around 1 cylinder engines, or diesel engines period, I don't have any basis of comparing, other than to say that it vibrates like its trying to shake itself apart.

However, it was explained to me that they way this engine is mounted, its basically on a plate that is not directly connected to the stringers, so its not as solid as it could be.

I've been assured that its normal by more than one person that I trust, so I'm just going to go with it.

I still seems like there should be more rubber on the mounts, but like I said, I know nothing of small diesel engines. My only boating experiences until know have been with outboards, and my inboard/outdrive power boat.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:06   #23

Quote:
Well, since I've never been around 1 cylinder engines, or diesel engines period, I don't have any basis of comparing, other than to say that it vibrates like its trying to shake itself apart.

However, it was explained to me that they way this engine is mounted, its basically on a plate that is not directly connected to the stringers, so its not as solid as it could be.

I've been assured that its normal by more than one person that I trust, so I'm just going to go with it.

I still seems like there should be more rubber on the mounts, but like I said, I know nothing of small diesel engines. My only boating experiences until know have been with outboards, and my inboard/outdrive power boat.
The 1 cyl are often rough, but noisier? Not sure about that... maybe because the roughness is making other things rattle like your table etc....?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:15   #24

My marine pro buddy (45 years of diesel repair experience) says the one bangers by design are more shaky and noisy. Something has to do with the lack of ideal balance (especially at lower RPM) of the shaft or some such (I forget his exact explanation). He says 2 banger engines are also less balanced than 3, 4 or more cylinders. He says once you get into 3 or 4 or higher number of cylinders the balance keeps things less shaky and less noisy.

My own experience is only with 1, 2 and 4 cylinders and it confirms the above.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 18:41   #25

Well there definitely should be *more* rubber in the mounts because those are not the proper Yanmar parts. Maybe the Yanmar mounts would be too tall? Hard to say, but I can say for sure that the factory mounts have lots more rubber and room to wiggle.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1gm10, engine, yanmar