Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 19:24   #31

Boat: Cascade
And by the way...
even if I need to buy a new one..... its still better than a major ring problem. The cost and trouble to pull the block out, have it fixed if possible and put it in, align it....

Would have been much greater than 500 + some valve seals.

I can do this work but would have needed alot of time and help if it was rings.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:13   #32

Taking it to themachine shop today.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:38   #33

OK. So the shop said yes we can weld it but it would be temporary at best. They also said I should replace the exhaust valve, lap or replace the intake valve .... etc

So not wanting to get stuck in strong current with a unreliable motor means I will buy a new head.

It looks like these heads come complete and assembled. This is a bit of a silver lining because I wont need to pay a shop to do any work.

All I need is the new head and a gasket set.

Im waiting for quotes here in Vancouver but, Im expecting it would be rather expensive.

I checked with the Canadian Customs and marine motor parts (even from Japan) carry no duty at the border so I would only need to pay the GST.

Looks like I will be heading to the States.

I might as well pick up an extra impeller,anode, secodary filter, gaskets, thermostat, oil filter, for next years service.
Old 26-03-2010, 11:21   #34

So the price for a new head in Canada is 1100 and in the States was 500!!!

I will be putting my new head on in the next week and will note it when its running. I came with valves installed.

I can only say that anyone who would buy large Yanmar parts in Canada is spending a lot of unnecessary money. Especially since the Canadian $ is at par.

I had to pay 6% sales tax in the states and 5 or 6 % GST at the border. No duty on marine engine parts and I would have paid that much PST/GST in Canada anyway.
Old 27-03-2010, 17:00   #35

Wrapping it up

So....

I prepped the engine and installed the new head. The compression was greater and I almost couldn't turn it by the hand crank. After connecting all the lines and bleeding the fuel, it was time to try it out.

I pushed the crank button and it fired right up! I don't think it even turned over twice! No oil! No smoke of any kind.

I changed the oil and filter and I'm done.

So thanks for the help.

Lessons learned are...

On a Yanmar 1GM10
  1. Check the exhaust mixing elbow yearly or at least every second year. Pull off the exhaust hose and look to see the inner sleeve. The problem was the inner sleeve of the elbow was broken off. This was not visible from the outside and the elbow looked new. Sea water had collected in the exhaust port in the head and it rusted a hole causing oil to leak through. There were clouds of blue smoke.
  2. Yanmar is double the cost in Canada as the US so it pays to cross border shop. There is no duty on marine engine parts.
  3. The Yanmar 1GM10 heads cost $500 US but come assembled with valves and studs etc...
TOMORROW I SAIL...!
S
Old 25-06-2011, 00:39   #36

pirate Re: Yanmar 1gm10 - Blue Smoke - Help!

hi Solitude, This happened to me a few years ago. I took the head to our machinist who was able to machine a hole through the exhaust and pushrod gallery (which actually cut throgh both sides into both galleries). He then turned up a sleeve which was pressed in effectively reinstating the exhuast tube. Engine has run fine ever since. Don't know what it would cost as we didn't have to pay for it. Good luck.
cavalier32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1gm10, smoke, yanmar