Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2011, 23:14   #1

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Yamaha Lower Unit Oil Contamination?

Hey Yawl !

I seem to have a slow leak of seawater getting into the lower unit on my 2006 Yamaha 15 hp Outboard - 2 stroke model 6B4K E15 DMH. It was purchased new in the Caribbean four years ago and have taken utmost care while crossing the Pacific.

Does anyone know if there's a seal "kit" for this sort of problem and / or a good shop manual available?

My local "Authorized Yamaha Dealer" in Australia is suggesting I bring it in and let them install aftermarket parts at a cost of over $400 (!) with a She'll be right, mate." guarantee.

Aftermarket parts... from an authorized dealer? Something smells like fish to me.

I'm a fairly competent mechanic - but have never needed to rebuild the lower unit on anything more complex than a British Seagull engine... until now. And I reckon that's a good thing.

I'd like to source a kit or order a bag of the proper seals / gaskets and perhaps replace the bearings while I'm at it... and save a few bucks while gaining a better understanding of my outboard engine.

Does anyone in this vast pool of cyber-knowledge have any first-hand experience in repairing a leak on the lower unit of a 15 hp 2 stroke Yamaha outboard?

I polished the shoft rod at the spring tensioned rubber seal by the water pump and assume there's a pair of lip seals on the input & output ends on the propeller shaft. other than that - I'm in the dark... and my local "authorized agent" is of little help.

Comments?

Thanks,

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 05:14   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Re: Yamaha Lower Unit Oil Contamination?

There are tons of the motors out there.

Search online for a manual.

Maybe you can get a rebuild kit sent to your next port of call
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil