Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2007, 07:38   #1

Winterizing my diesel

A quick question here. To properly winterize a diesel, what do most of you do to prevent the raw water system from freezing? I have taken care of the fresh water system with the proper amount of antifreeze, changed the oil and filter, topped off my fuel tank but I am curious as to what I should do about the salt water system now that she is out of the water.

thanks in advance.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 07:49   #2
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by By Invitation View Post
A quick question here. To properly winterize a diesel, what do most of you do to prevent the raw water system from freezing? I have taken care of the fresh water system with the proper amount of antifreeze, changed the oil and filter, topped off my fuel tank but I am curious as to what I should do about the salt water system now that she is out of the water.

thanks in advance.
With the engine running, you run antifreeze (I use non-toxic pink for environmental reasons) through the entire fresh water system until you see it coming out the wet exhaust.

It's that simple.

If you are really going to be thorough, you may also remove the impellor so the fins don't get "bent" into position from a long period of storage.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 07:52   #3
cruiser

Whoops... just read that she's out of the water. You are supposed to winterize the diesel before she's up on stands. You close the seacock and allow the fresh water system to suck antifreeze instead of seawater.

Since she's on the hard, I don't have a good answer. You *really* aren't supposed to run a diesel engine while your boat is on the stands. Check with the yard and see if maybe you can get a few extra stands and a lot of chain and maybe you can then run the diesel to get the antifreeze to spew out the exhaust. Just make sure you're not parked right under the exhaust! ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 07:57   #4

Thanks Steve,

I won't have any problem doing this on the stands. I can crank her over in short bursts without actually staring her till I see antifreeze entering my muffler box. Next year I will take care of this before they haul her. I was not expecting her to be taken out this morning, the yard changed their minds and moved her up by 3 days.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 08:42   #5

How about this for an idea for winterinzing out of water boats... remove the impeller, replace the cover and run compressed air through the system to force all the water out. Would it work?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 09:17   #6

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I think part of the reason for the antifreeze to help provent any rust or corrosion from building inside the engine.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 10:27   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
This is what I use ............See pictures

I set the bucket up on deck with a hose running in it. Down below I have a T-fitting that the hose goes into.

I run the motor until warm. Shut off the supply hose to the bucket and just as it's sucking the last couple gallons out of the bucket, I pour in some old antifreeze from last year (that has sat and settled out the particals).

Simple...................._/)

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention I also use this to flush out salt water if it's going to be sitting w/o use of the motor for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flushkit.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	2116   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSScoupler.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	2117  

Click image for larger version

Name:	softcoupler.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2118  
Old 26-11-2007, 14:33   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
All the winterizing in our club is done on the hard. The boats are in cradles. With a FW cooled engine I take the intake hose off the sea cock and stick it in a pail of 50/50 anti-freeze solution. Start the engine and run until it comes out the exhaust, stop the engine. Close sea cock and put hose back on. We hang a bucket under the exhaust to catch the anti-freeze. In the spring do the same with fresh water so that when you start your boat in the water no anti-freeze goes into the lake. Using this method there's anti-freeze in all the raw water parts including the strainer.

Tags
diesel