Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2018, 04:01   #1

Will not go into gear

I have a Betamarine 20HP engine (D722) and a
Volvo Penta 110S Saildrive
35ft sailboat

Worked fine until yesterday . Suddenly , at the worst possible time ,with the engine working fine, it would not go into gear. Not forward or back at any revs.
The button to rev without going into gear is working fine and the levers all move fine below where they go the the Saildrive.
Nothing tangled around the propeller.
Help. Really trying to avoid having to take it out of the water.
Popeye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:08   #2

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Will not go into gear

Check your sail drive/gear linkage, there may be something loose and/or binding. Also, check the linkage in your pedestal or shifter, I have had a loose bolt stick out and stop mine before.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:30   #3

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

We had something similar happen to us on our outboard. (I know, different animal) Turned out to be a plastic part in the linkage had broken. A couple of appropriately placed zip ties got us mobile again until we could get back and pick up a replacement part.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:51   #4

The linkage to the saildrive seems to work fine. See photos of forward and reverse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181212_133710.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	182045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181212_133648.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	182046  

Old 12-12-2018, 08:39   #5

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

make sure propeller is secure.also drive plate or coupling from eng...
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:45   #6

There was a problem with the Volvo saildrives connected to older Volvo engines in that the splined shaft between the two wore badly and then lost grip altogether.

I can't remember now which part the splined shaft belonged to (engine or gearbox) - but it's likely to be the saildrive - into a female drive plate on the flywheel.

I hope, for your sake, that this isn't the problem - but it's worth bearing in mind if all other ideas fail.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...spline-problem
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:57   #7

These people did a repair kit for the worn splines. It's not on their site now, but they would be worth contacting:

http://www.versatilemarine.co.uk

If you can disconnect the engine and have room to move it forward, I don't think you would need to slip the boat.
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:58   #8

Beta marine made an adapter plate for their engine to volvo penta saildrive s 11. 6 months ago my engine moved as one leg came loose. I put it all back myself and it all seemed to be ok untill yesterday. Yes perhaps the engine is not properly connected to the saildrive.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:05   #9

Frequently when a cone clutch saildrive exhibits shift problems, the problem occurs in either forward or reverse, but not both. This is because the clutch cone and it's engaging cup get polished and the cone can't cut thru the oil film and engage the gear. Seeing that you can't get either forward or reverse gear to engage points in the direction of the shift mechanism on the side of the upper housing. The shifter, which is moved by the shift cable, carries the shift shoe and moves the shoe up or down when the shifter is rotated by the cable. The shift shoe raises or lowers the cone clutch and brings the cone into engagement with the upper or lower gear cup. If something has happened with the shift shoe, like it has sheared off, then you would loose all shifting. This can be examined by removing the shift cable and the four bolts holding the shift mechanism on the side of the housing, and pulling the shift housing off the side of the gear case. You can do this without hauling the boat.

Another thing that could cause loss of both forward and reverse gears could be the transmission of power from the engine into the saildrive. I don't know what Beta Marine used when they adapted to the 110s saildrive, but if there is a damper plate in the flywheel housing, and the damper plate failed, then no power would be reaching the saildrive and it would seem that the saildrive isn't shifting.

Something else to consider is the propeller. If the prop fell off of the propshaft, then it might seem that the saildrive gears aren't working, but really there is no prop to transmit power to the water. Or, perhaps the rubber hub in the prop has torn or slipped and power isn't getting from the prop shaft to the prop blades....

Plenty to think about.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:27   #10

Thanks Doug. Will start to work on all that.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:38   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I was thinking prop rubber hub myself, but won’t those usually still work in idle?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 13:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I was thinking prop rubber hub myself, but won’t those usually still work in idle?
Depends on how bad it is.......I've seen spun hubs on saildrive props where the hub is intact on the shaft, but the rest of the prop is lying on the sea bed somewhere.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 13:33   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31

What excellent comments from DougR. In my youth on the back pays of southern New Jersey, failed spun prop hubs (we called them slip clutches) were common. Once it happens, it feels like a failed trans when it's really a free spinning prop.

We continue to be amazed at the breath and depth of knowledge in the forum, with ideas and wisdom from across the globe. Amazing.

Those of us with old boats (i.e., most of us) would have a much harder time staying afloat, mobile and safe were not for the advice we can readily get thru modern communications.

If it weren't for this forum and a few others like it, we would not still be happily sailing and maintaining our dear old '84 Cape Dory 31.

Thanks to all of you.

Jenn and Terry
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 17:20   #14

I had this same problem on my saildrive. The linkage was fine. The prop could be spun, and with the top plate off you could see the top gears working, so a broken shaft between the prop and top forward and reverse dog was not the cause of lack of engagement.

The reason turned out to be that the drive plate had failed between the flywheel and the splined saildrive end. If you have noticed a rattle while at low rpms, it could be a failing drive plate or also called a damper plate.
northbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 01:02   #15

Worked fine untill we docked and filled water. We also filled a lot of jerry cans mainly on one side . So the boat was heavy and leaning when we pulled out. We planned to go a few hundred meters to our mooring and not sail the boat. Was only the wind that took us away from the dock. Coincidence?

Tags
gear