Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2013, 07:18   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28
Re: White smoke at >2500+rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivergm View Post
Recommended fix?
Any oil evidence in the coolant? Any coolant in the oil?
It is sounding more like coolant in the burn/exhaust especially since you need to add coolant.
Next step should be a compression check to rule out/in the head gasket.
Carefully inspect the head externally for signs of any cracks or leaks.
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 07:20   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Before taking the head off the engine and replacing the head gasket, I would make sure that is the problem. Performing a compression test is the best thing to do but you many not know how to do that or have the tools and compression tester for a diesel engine. You can buy a tester from harbor freight that could do that for about $50.oo bucks. If you are not mechanically inclined then it is time to bit the bullet and hire a mechanic. Replacing the head gasket isn't hard to do but it is also not a job for a beginner. Also, while the head is off you might as well take it to a machine shop and get it rebuilt. It normally isn't expensive unless you have bent valves or other problems. Also replacing the water pump and timing belt while the head is off is normally done. I would guess a good mechanic would charge 2-3 grand for the whole job.
+1 good advice.
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 19:49   #33

Does it have a turbocharger?A faulty turbo will do exactly what you are describing.Or wastegate.A decent diesel shop will test your injectors for under a hundred bucks,but the chances of all four going bad are not likely.Do you have any oil residue in your coolant reservoir?A light tan foamy substance.You would notice ir after the engine has been run.Do your engines share a fuel tank? Thanks
Pegleg Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 19:56   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: White smoke at >2500+rpm

Keep it at 2400...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 20:13   #35

That's just too easy and simple for me.It would drive me crazy.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:24   #36

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Before taking the head off the engine and replacing the head gasket, I would make sure that is the problem. Performing a compression test is the best thing to do but you many not know how to do that or have the tools and compression tester for a diesel engine. You can buy a tester from harbor freight that could do that for about $50.oo bucks. If you are not mechanically inclined then it is time to bit the bullet and hire a mechanic. Replacing the head gasket isn't hard to do but it is also not a job for a beginner. Also, while the head is off you might as well take it to a machine shop and get it rebuilt. It normally isn't expensive unless you have bent valves or other problems. Also replacing the water pump and timing belt while the head is off is normally done. I would guess a good mechanic would charge 2-3 grand for the whole job.
Make certain that the compression tester is for diesel engines. They have very much higher compression than gas and are not interchangeable.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:28   #37

Boat: Elan Impression 434

My volvo manual mentions 2 reasons for white smoke
1 coolant temp to low
2 high level of engine oil
Far Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:57   #38

Head gasket. Really not that hard to do. If u know u have the right tools and the manual, do it! Or, pay the money if u don't. I would do all that extra stuff while ur in there too. It will prolly keep running for years just fine as long as u don't see "milk chocolate" oil. A good boat owner wouldn't do that though...
zmfblevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:33   #39

If that's the case,a faulty thermostat could cause your problem.Replacing a head gasket is more than unbolting the head.The head has to be checked to see if it's warped,in which case it has to be machined to level. it may require an oversized gasket to make sure the chamber is the right size.If your head gasket was bad you would have coolant in your oil or oil in your coolant.Run the engine with your reservoir cap off and your oil filler cap or dipstick removed and see if there's any blowby in either.Most likely it'll be in your coolant because of positive oil pressure.It's a big job,especially in a confined space.Exhaust,fuel,any electric all have to be removed.Good Luck,whatever it is.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:53   #40

All due respect pegleg, water does not have to mix w/oil to prove a bad gasket. It can pass straight through to your exaust. Checking the head for warpage is a good idea but, in diesels it is fairly rare unless you WAY overheated. It is good practice to do it though, along w/timing belt change and other things.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:55   #41

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I had a similar problem with my port engine. Started putting out white smoke at 1000 hrs. During troubleshooting I found a crack in the lid of the raw water strainer. It let in just enough air to decrease the raw water flow to the point where it would heat up and put out steam, yet there was still enough flow through the heat exchanger to keep the engine cool. I replaced the raw water strainer and that got rid of the steam. It sounds like you have just about identified the white smoke as steam. Might be worth inspecting the strainer to make sure it has a good seal and no cracks. Wouldn't hurt to have a look at the hoses on the 'suction' side of the pump as well.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:55   #42

And, a "big job" to one person is "easy" for another. It's all just nuts and bolts though. Some aren't wired for it, and some are.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:00   #43

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegleg Sands View Post
If your head gasket was bad you would have coolant in your oil or oil in your coolant.
You are correct that, that can happen, but a leaking head gasket by no means has to intermix with your oil system. You can be burning coolant with out any fluid intermix. As you said though it is a very good thing to check!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:02   #44

you're absolutely correct.But if it's getting ib the combustion chamber,you've got a problem.And you'll be washing a cylinder with antifreeze,and the unburned coolant will be coming out the exhaust.I thought the moderator said they couldn't isolate a particular cylinder. I've had a faulty heat exchanger do this.The coolant was leaking into the raw water.A blown gasket isn't the end of world but I'd check everything I could before pulling the head.I've had Detroits that had an O-ring around each cylinder.I have a little experience with diesels and it can be a big job for someone with no experience,but definitely do-able.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:44   #45

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

I had an old Yanmar begin to steam at higher RPMs and thought it could be a head gasket as I just flushed the cooling system and was afraid that I may have got an air bubble in the system. After performing a pressure test on the cooling system, not finding any coolant/water in the oil or any coolant usage I looked elsewhere. The problem was a clogged exhaust elbow which was a bit surprising because it looked to have good flow at the discharge, but boy was that thing clogged.

I would take an infrared thermometer which you can pick up for less than $40 even in the Caribbean and take measurements of the cooling and exhaust systems of both engines. If you find a significant delta between the two you might find your problem. As all the other posters have stated a head gasket isn't a super tough job, but rule everything else out before you dig in.