Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2013, 19:13   #16

Boat: Maverick 400/40ft
One of two engines of 40ft sailing cat. One smokes other doesn't
Olivergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 12:50   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: White smoke at >2500+rpm

As most diesel troubleshooters will tell you, white smoke or steam is usually acquainted with water getting into the cylinders somehow. If you are not loosing coolant and it doesn't seem like steam but is an oily white smoke then I'd check the injectors as has been mentioned.

Does it do the same at lower rpms? Does it clear up after running for a longer time?
Old 22-12-2013, 13:01   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Also, hydrocarbon smoke doesn't dissipate very quickly, steam will
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 13:08   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Also before your exhaust hose melts at the exhaust elbow you'll get white smoke/steam.
Old 22-12-2013, 13:40   #20

My Universal 32 hp diesel in our 1983 Ericson 38 used to smoke white all the time. It was worse at higher RPM. Revving the engine would also spit out lots of soot as evidenced by the residue near the exhaust outlet. My guess is that it had 1800 hours on it when we bought it in the Chesapeake. We cruised the boat extensively for about 7 years putting another 3000 hours on it including charging the batteries at anchor.

I never was able to find anything wrong with it. I used synthetic oil in it and had the oil lab tested every 400 hours. Never turned up any issues. I replaced the heat exchanger for a larger one it made no difference. I converted the water pump to a higher capacity pump no difference. Raw water exiting the exhaust seemed normal.

I had a 3 blade variable pitch feathering prop and I tried any number of different pitch settings varying max rpm from 2100 to 2900 but it seemed to run best when pitched to give about 2600 at full throttle. We typically ran it about 2000-2200 and made a nice 6 knots or so in flat water. Great reverse power with no walk but a friend with the same boat and original 2 blade prop could get 7.5 knots out of his and run at 2700 rpm or so. He also smoked white ... more load, more smoke. Of course he prop walked quite a bit in reverse.

I had at least three diesel mechanics check it out over the years we owned it and none of them could find anything wrong with it either. I did have an infrared thermometer and periodically I'd use it to read the temp at the thermostat housing, the exhaust elbow or the wet hose. It never read anything hot either.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that.
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 15:46   #21

I was convinced it was not steam but I'll check it out again tonight. The oil was analyzed a few months ago, ahead of completion and all was good. Smoke / steam only at high rpm and no it does not stop after an extended period. The coolant reservoir was hot to the touch after a 45min run so it seems to be circulating okay. I'm replacing / lengthening the hose to remove the tight bend that I thought may be blocking the flow from the reservoir. Your comments thus far are much appreciated.
Old 23-12-2013, 08:35   #22
Marine Service Provider

Does the engine with the white smoke run cooler than the other one?
If it is not a full operating temperature, this can cause white smoke.
Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 08:36   #23

Does it have a turbo?I assume not.Does you're exhaust have unburned fuel or oil in it?Any white oily foam on dipstick after it's just been run?
Pegleg Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 17:16   #24

Boat: grampian 26

White smoke is unburned diesel fuel. Get the injectors tested as was mentioned earlier.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 17:48   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
White smoke is unburned diesel fuel. Get the injectors tested as was mentioned earlier.
I also would highly suspect the injectors, My perkins smoked like yours, but smoked more when under load or when cold. I have over 6000 hours on it. I took all the injectors out, had them and the injector pump rebuilt and everything cleared up. I motor ran quite well even though it smoked before the injector overhaul. In my case I did all the work except rebuilding the injectors and pump which is best left to the pro's. If I remember correctly the injectors cost about $75 bucks each to get overhauled a couple of years ago. The pump cost $700.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 18:04   #26
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if you have an exhaust elbow check that.
Old 30-12-2013, 06:45   #27

Thanks again for all the responses. Been out again over the last few days and it looks like steam and not smoke. A towel held over the exhaust didn't smell like unburnt fuel. Also now that the kink has been removed from the coolant reservoir line I've had to top up the tank after a 1hr run. I'll need to check levels again but it sounds as though I'm loosing coolant and that's causing the steam...
Old 30-12-2013, 06:57   #28

If you are loosing coolant and white steam then more then likely your headgasket is leaking coolant into a cylinder.
Old 30-12-2013, 06:58   #29

Recommended fix?
Old 30-12-2013, 07:07   #30

Before taking the head off the engine and replacing the head gasket, I would make sure that is the problem. Performing a compression test is the best thing to do but you many not know how to do that or have the tools and compression tester for a diesel engine. You can buy a tester from harbor freight that could do that for about $50.oo bucks. If you are not mechanically inclined then it is time to bit the bullet and hire a mechanic. Replacing the head gasket isn't hard to do but it is also not a job for a beginner. Also, while the head is off you might as well take it to a machine shop and get it rebuilt. It normally isn't expensive unless you have bent valves or other problems. Also replacing the water pump and timing belt while the head is off is normally done. I would guess a good mechanic would charge 2-3 grand for the whole job.