Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 23:28   #1

White smoke and over temp 4jh2-te

Hi all first time posting. I have a yanmar 4jh2-Te and on a recent day motoring for 4 hours we noticed it was running slightly hot normally sits on 180f on the dial and was just over. We had just used the loo and I think we may have sucked water away from the water pump">raw water pump. For some reason they are plumbed off the same seacock. I checked the raw water pump iwhen we arrived at our destination and impeller was fine but a couple of the vanes were bent the wrong way? Replaced it anyway and seems more water flow now. What I did notice is that there is a fair amount of oil in the turbo air intake. Would burning oil through the turbo account for my white smoke? Calder says it should be blue smoke if I am burning oil or water or injector issue if white smoke. Any experiences similar and advice appreciated.
Brett W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 00:43   #2

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: White smoke and over temp 4jh2-te

Monitor the temp. Has the impeller fixed it? If not, check the water intake, how long since you cleaned the heat exchanger cores, is the exhaust elbow clean? White smoke is likely steam from an over hot system....
Old 07-07-2015, 04:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Brett.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 18:04   #4

Thanks for the advice ran for two hours yesterday and no more of the "white smoke". So presume it was steam and I had overheated the engine. Impeller seems to be fine and I will check with my local mechanic when I get home about the amount of oil ending up in the turbo intake. Seems weird to me but obviously part of the design. Regds Brett
Brett W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 18:34   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Slow down there. In order to get white smoke or any color smoke, something needs to get into the intake system or the cylinder itself. There is no way, that your engine can pump water into the intake system or cylinder unless something is wrong. A simple overtemp is not going to put water inside the engine. The only way for water to get in the exaust is from the cylinder or perhaps the exhaust manifold.
Some oil in the turbo is not uncommon. How much, who should say? Most often oil in the turbo will burn off in a few minutes. It's sticky stuff so you can have a bit of residue in the intake and it does not mean that much.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 18:35   #6

Boat: Able 50

Check that you aren't losing any antifreeze by watching the overflow bottle. Getting some of that in your exhaust will make white smoke.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote