Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 19:29   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter
Which Small Outboard is Most Reliable

Five years ago we bought a 2.5 yamaha longshaft four cycle outboard and used it on our Fatty Knees tender. It worked well for one season. We then stored it carefully on board Taleisin and sailed south. It began giving us a lot of grief. The manufacturer replaced the carburetor at no cost. But still the bloody thing has never worked well, always seems to be carburetor based problems. Makes us glad we never really needed it, just used it for pleasure. But now we have a little trailer sailor we want to take up some rivers around here so we want to replace it - don't want another dud. Any thoughts on the best small outboard - must have a long shaft model available.

Hope to see some of you this summer, we'll be at Annapolis and a few other places doing seminars to introduce our new DVD program and help raise some funds for CRAB (Chesapeake Regional Accessible Boating).
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:48   #2

Boat: Catalac 8m
Re: Which small outboard is most reliable

We are happy with our Tohatsu 9.8 four cycle extra long shaft.
CharleyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:49   #3

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Hi Lin--

I've enjoyed your books.

I have a little Honda 2hp 4 stroke. Always starts in one or two pulls, even after being stored for the Winter. Weighs 28 lbs, sips gas. There is a long shaft version, 20".
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:07   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Sorry I missed meeting you while you were in Hilo last. Met Larry then.

Here in the states we have a problem with ethanol clogging up the carb. If I run the engine dry each time I use it then there is no problem. If I leave any gas in the carb after a few months it gums it up terribly and the first signs of the problem is that it will not idle properly.

I like the Nissan for reliability.

I hope you can find the right one for you and your use.

kind regards,
Old 10-06-2012, 20:08   #5

Boat: mt34dt

Hi Lin,
Also enjoyed your books and exploits.
I have had good luck w/ Tohatsu 5hp long shaft with elephant ear (high thrust) prop on a 19 ft trailer-sailer --prop makes a big difference. If I were to replace it it would be with Tohatsu 6hp extra long shaft (sailpro) comes with w/alternator and high thrust prop.
Tohatsu 6hp Four-Stroke Outboard Model # MFS6CUL
BTW, small motors are especially sensitive to petrol. The small carb does not like old fuel, run it dry before storage and replace fuel if it sits for any length of time, but you probably already know this.
Good luck on your search.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 22:12   #6

Boat: csy 37

don't know about kiwiland but here in the states the ethanol problems continue...

we've found it best to run the carburetor out of gas after each day of use. just turn the shut off valve or pull the hose connector out of the engine and let it run till it dies, then pull start it a few more times. storing for more than a few weeks i drain the tank into my car as well.

the most reliable outboards i've owned the past forty years have been yamaha's.
i currently have a 1999 3hp 2 stroke. after many years of use i finally had to
replace the lower end seal last year.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 23:35   #7

For a trailer sailer, I used a 5hp two stroke Tohatsu, or a Mercury or Mariner clone.
For a tender, the Tohatsu 2.5 / 3.5 two stroke, also sold by Mariner or Mercury.
Used them for years, never missed a beat.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:32   #8

Boat: seawind II Patience

I have a yammayapyap jap c#$p also.Very reliable,can always rely on it to be hard to start & not idle well.
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:04   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
don't know about kiwiland but here in the states the ethanol problems continue...

we've found it best to run the carburetor out of gas after each day of use. just turn the shut off valve or pull the hose connector out of the engine and let it run till it dies, then pull start it a few more times. storing for more than a few weeks i drain the tank into my car as well.

the most reliable outboards i've owned the past forty years have been yamaha's.
i currently have a 1999 3hp 2 stroke. after many years of use i finally had to
replace the lower end seal last year.
having owned,repaired and resold many small out boards over the last 30 years the above quote is great advice!

any outboard is only as good as the fuel that is put through it.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:40   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I think some people either have outboard karma or they don't. I have a 5hp two stroke Yamaha on a skiff at my lake house. Bought new and never a second's trouble - always starts on the first or second pull, even when it has been left over the winter without winterizing. Maybe the two-strokes are better than the four strokes. I think they are made by Tohatsu, and not by Yamaha.

I've had a couple of different Mercurys -- a 5hp and a 15hp, on various dinghies. Both were flawless.

I presently have a 25 horsepower remote-steered Mariner on my present dinghy (also a Tohatsu, I think). It came with my present boat and must be 12 years old by now. It looks a bit shabby, but I've never had a moment's trouble with it.

That's just my subjective, personal answer to your question -- what kinds are reliable? Note that these are all two-strokes.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:55   #11

Small being what? I've had good luck with the Yamaha 4 stroke 8 hp. It's of course about 90 something pounds and I used it for our 10' RIB and so we got a demountable Garhauer crane to lift and lower it and that works a charm.

We rely on the dink and moor and anchor far from shore and so rowing... thought healthier is just no practical. A real small 3hp or so would suffice and can be lifted easily. We have an old tonhotsu 3 hp for a back up.

Ethanol is a problem for OB's and seems to destroy carburetors and cause lots of moisture to find its way into the fuel system. Not good. You need fuel stabilizers and water separating filters or just use the gas and not let it sit for long periods (big tanks - bad idea).

my two cents.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:40   #12

Boat: Seaward 22

I would suggest looking for a used 2 stroke. Yes they are noisier and pollute more. However, my 18 year old 8 hp evinrude has only had 2 problems. 1) power pack 2) new water pump (at year 18). I run her dry when I'm done and have had no fuel problems.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:47   #13

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Pardey View Post

Hope to see some of you this summer, we'll be at Annapolis and a few other places doing seminars to introduce our new DVD program and help raise some funds for CRAB (Chesapeake Regional Accessible Boating).
I've searched the Annapolis sailboat show website and your blog, but can't find any info as to where and how to attend one of your seminars. Help?
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:57   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 40.5

Another tick for Tohatsu, I have a 6hp 4 stroke it's five years old and starts first time, couldn't ask for anything more than that
geoffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:17   #15

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

We're done with gasoline and small outboards. We've ordered a 5 hp four stroke that runs on propane from Lehr (www.golehr.com). They come in 2.5 & 5 hp short and long shaft. No affiliation, just a customer waiting for an order to be filled.

Tags
outboard