Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 01:26   #1

Which engines can replace a Volvo Penta MD11C

I have Volvo Penta MD11C and a 110S Saildrive.
I would like to keep the Saildrive and buy a used engine and install it where the MD11c is now.

Do I keep the gear box?
Are there any other parts from the engine I keep?

Is there anywhere a list of engines that can easily fit in place of the MD11c?
Popeye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:44   #2

Re: Which engines can replace a Volvo Penta MD11C

Probably the easiest solution is to find another MD11c or 11d in better condition than yours and install it to your existing saildrive.

The 110s saildrive uses a rubber element connector similar to a "love joy" coupling between the engine and saildrive which will require some machine shop fabrication to adapt another type of engine to fit your existing saildrive. It could be done, but will be expensive.

The best solution, but also expensive, is to replace the entire engine and saildrive package with a new, current model engine and saildrive. Volvo makes adapter kits to allow current engines and saildrives to fit your old saildrive bed, and this gives you the advantage of newer technology, warranty, parts availability, etc.

I would look at the Volvo D1-30 engine and 130s saildrive package. It's smaller, lighter, quieter and more powerful than your old engine and will fit in the same space with no problems. And it allows you to sell your old engine and drive as a complete package.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:08   #3

Thanks Doug.
I looked around on the net for another MD11C and there is none for sail. Just some expired adds and a large dealer in the UK says I am unlikely to ever find one because they are in high demand.
Here where I am at Volvo Penta quoted me €10,000 for that new engine and installation. Looking around on the net I cannot beat that price by buying overseas and shipping and paying for the installation. Thing is, that figure is very high for me. If I could find a used MD11C it would be around €2,500 all up.
Is there no middle ground at all?
Old 07-03-2016, 08:19   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Beta might make an adaptor plate that allows their engine to work with a Volvo saildrive, I would give them a call.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:37   #5

Thanks Chris

Beta Marina told me they make a plate for around €500 which can enable me to put a Beta engine over the 110S Saildrive.

- As far as I can see on the net there is no used Beta engine 20 or 25 HP for sale in Europe.

-Beta say the 110S was designed for use with engines with slow revs .
MD11c is 2,500 revs max. Beta engines of that size are 3,500 revs.

-The cost of a new Beta 20 or 25HP and their Saildrive installed is more than the €10,000 quoted by Volvo Penta for their new engine and saildrive installed.
Old 22-03-2016, 04:31   #6

New Marine Engines around 25HP cost only around $2,000 in China plus $500 shipping.
Even paying all the import tax that is still very cheap. I wonder why more people in the EU do not do that?

Also I now wonder how the new EU regulations will effect boat owners in general in the EU.?
Will old smokey diesel engines on boats be banned eventually? Is it better to stay away from buying used engines from now on?
Will it be necessary to buy engines with computers in order to keep up with new smog restrictions ?

Home
http://www.europeanboatingindustry.e...2012_final.pdf
Old 23-03-2016, 08:08   #7

Boat: islandpacket

Popeye2, how can I get one of the Chinese marine engine?
Old 23-03-2016, 09:27   #8

aliexpress.com
Has lots of dealers with live chat.
Not sure what the policy is on this forum about giving exact details of where to buy a particular item. The ones I saw for around $2,000 are made for the domestic market.

This discussion on this forum discourages folks from taking that route

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...s-75719-7.html

Seems that they are make with poor quality iron. Dealers there who sell marine engines made for export (and domestic) ask around $3,500 including gearbox.

TDME 3M78
is one such engine that keeps coming up. A copy of a Kabota.
At the moment that link on the forum has scared me away from Chinese at least for another few years. Brand names sold there such as Yanmar , after paying shipping and tax, I guess, would end up being not much cheaper than in the Eu .
Next year Eu regulations become more strict on importing diesel engines. I suppose as Chinese engines start to comply with these regulations the iron in them will improve.
Old 23-03-2016, 09:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye2 View Post
Will old smokey diesel engines on boats be banned eventually?
I sure hope not. My engine is 30 years old. I resent that remark! It doesn't smoke, it doesn't smell and it has been well maintained. 2,877 engine hours.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 10:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I sure hope not. My engine is 30 years old. I resent that remark! It doesn't smoke, it doesn't smell and it has been well maintained. 2,877 engine hours.
Another few years and it will be pretty close to being run in.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:53   #11

Boat: 1978 Rafiki 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post

I would look at the Volvo D1-30 engine and 130s saildrive package. It's smaller, lighter, quieter and more powerful than your old engine and will fit in the same space with no problems. And it allows you to sell your old engine and drive as a complete package.

DougR
This is the option that was recommended for me and fits my boat. I am in same situation with 36 yr old Md11C. I bought another 36 yr old MD11C and transmission as backup/parts for €500. It will hopefully give me three to five years before deciding on which new engine to buy and maybe more choices on market by then. I would milk the MD11C for every last crank you can get out of it before going new.

The D1-30 with rail adaptor was quoted at €7850 w/o saildrive or installation.
JerseyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:40   #12

Boat: athena 38

Hello Popey You can buy a used md11 in Denmark. I do not know the guy but it looks very nice and the Price is Danish kroner 20.000 (arund 3000 eur)
Volvo Penta 11C, Volvo Penta – dba.dk – Køb og Salg af Nyt og Brugt
His phone numer +45 20 31 45 75
usamink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:51   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamink View Post
Hello Popey You can buy a used md11 in Denmark. I do not know the guy but it looks very nice and the Price is Danish kroner 20.000 (arund 3000 eur)
Volvo Penta 11C, Volvo Penta – dba.dk – Køb og Salg af Nyt og Brugt
His phone numer +45 20 31 45 75
Ouch, that's not cheap for a very old engine. How about this:

Linky

Or this one perhaps a second hand D1-30 for £2600

http://www.marineenterprisesltd.co.uk/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 22:04   #14

Popeye, If you get another Volvo, make sure you keep the rear motor mount brackets and bellhousing from your old engine, since the conventional transmission version is different than the sail drive. At least that is what I discovered with MD7s. I suspect the 11 would be the same. I think there are a few models that will drop right into the MD11 bed and bolt up to the saildrive. A little more or less HP wont make much difference. Talk to a Volvo dealer that has been around for a while to find out. Good Luck. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 10:49   #15

Thanks Grant. Very helpful. Accordingly I will hold on to my MD11C until after I buy a used engine. If I am lucky, I may be able to find another used Volvo or similar engine. If I dont come accross one in a few months I guess I will buy a new engine. Most of the ads on the net in EU are for engines already sold. Usually they don´t even bother to reply to an email enquiry.

Tags
engine, penta, volvo