Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 09:35   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Which Diesel Fuel Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
All you need is a 120. 15 gals per hour.
Yes, but that is a tiny little thing, I have one for my Generator, doesn't take much at all to clog it as it's so small.
I think also the cartridges for it are way more $ than for a 500?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 09:37   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 42 DS

Racor dual filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Racor filter.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	116720  
offpist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:41   #18

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppySailor View Post
I'm in need of a new diesel fuel filter and am looking for some words of wisdom. I'm thinking that a commonly available filter element would be nice as we're really not sure where we might end up. So far I'm looking at the Racor 120, 215, and 230. My engine is a Yanmar 3gm30f so they all seem to be fine for the fuel flow. Is there an advantage to having a filter rated for a higher flow rate than necessary? Is there an advantage to having the priming pump or is it just another place to leak air? What are your recommendations for a filter? Thanks in advance.
A few notes that might be of interest:
My engine is a Yanmar 4JH
I purchased my vessel nearly 20 yrs ago and after experiencing plugged fuel filters I changed the filtration system.
The previous owner had allowed crud to build up in the fuel tank that became suspended when tank level was low and heavy seas were running.
After cleaning the 110 gal tank I installed two Racor 230 Filters in parallel with a vacuum gauge. Can be used together or single. I also have a squeeze bulb installed to speed priming. Never had air infiltration problems.
The tank cleaning contractor recommended not using fuel bug killers on the basis that the skeletons are main cause of crud build up.
Periodically I use an O/B squeeze bulb to vacuum inside the tank and can see debris in the evacuation bottle.
In the Caribbean I used a dirt/water separator funnel when refilling fuel.
I always keep fuel tank at least half full.
My Log Book will tell me when I last changed filters, but I know it was at least 4 yrs ago. I keep a careful watch on the vacuum gauge.
Since installing current system nearly 20 yrs ago have never had a shut down due to filter problem and don't want one.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:45   #19

I cruised arround the word one1 filter! The trick is to filter your fuel with a filter before you put it in the tank with a Mr Funnel filter. It remove dirt (solamons, png and indonesia where there in the fuel a intresting biotope is) before you put it in the tank. I youse also biosides and had never problems. Somme say that to mutch biocides can dammage the injectors!?? Had sommewane experience this????? I dont know but it is not unleycley??
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 11:40   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Hi there,
Dont know if anyone has heard of them but I use an MLR Diesel Purifier between the tank and the primary filter which is a Racor. The purifier creates a vortex from the fuel current and spins off water and particles down to a few microns out to drain to the bottom of the purifier from where they are drained using a cock.
This has kept my racors clean and they should not need replacing soon.
Besides I have two racors fitted and I can change from one to the other with the flip of a lever so should I have a problem I dont have to mess about with replacing a filter in a seaway.
Hope that helps.
Chris
Saharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 12:35   #21

Boat: CS 36 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't like the CAV either, but grew up with them on International farm tractors, so I can deal with them. You will spill some fuel if you have them, but with enough rags etc., that can be contained. Just for Gods sake have a spare glass bowl, if you don't you'll over tighten the bolt or not have the bowl centered correctly and bust it, then your screwed without a spare.

I went with the dual Racor 500's, then found out after installation that while you can run both or either one, you can't be running off of one, while you change the other one, or at least that is what the instructions say anyway, I thought you could.

My boat came with an electric priming pump, it's inop and I removed it and don't think I'll replace it. It wasn't any big deal to fill both of the 500's with the little lever on the mechanical fuel pump on the engine, and I doubt I'll ever have to fill both at once again, one is just a couple of minutes wobbling that lever, just have to go slow with the lever, it will only pump just so fast, wobbling it faster does not increase flow.
I have dual Racors on my boat and if you install some ball or 3 way valves you can change 1 filter while the other keeps the motor running
sailorboy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 12:54   #22

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by offpist View Post
Racor dual filter.

We've had this system for many years & it's the best. The pressure gauge tells you when the filter is clogging & you can then switch to the other filter while you're still running to change it. I have a small electric fuel pump before the Racors which makes priming super easy.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 12:59   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Silly question for those with dual racors.
Which way to position the handle for both filters? Up or down? Pointer, not the long handle
I assume the other way is off for both?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 13:04   #24

Boat: CS 36 T

Quote:
Which way to position the handle for both filters? Up or down? Pointer, not the long handle
With my setup and 3 way valves ! points 1 way the other opposite but if you just use ball valves on in and out lines it is easier as you close off 1 filter open the other.
sailorboy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 13:11   #25

Quote:
Pointing straight down runs the fuel through both filters at the same time. Pointing up turns it off.
Old 14-01-2016, 15:19   #26

Boat: Moody 49

I went to the London Boat show today and spoke at length to the Parker/Racor engr.

I talked about fuel-guard washable and reusable filters and the advantages of this... to my surprise he showed me the new Racor equivalent filter that is now available in the US and shortly in the UK for several filters including the 500FG. Part Number is 2010 -149W about £16 or $24

Seems great news and challenges the fuel guard. Going further- Racor have polishing kits complete with 12v pumps.

Good news!
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 15:51   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thurlow View Post
I went to the London Boat show today and spoke at length to the Parker/Racor engr.

I talked about fuel-guard washable and reusable filters and the advantages of this... to my surprise he showed me the new Racor equivalent filter that is now available in the US and shortly in the UK for several filters including the 500FG. Part Number is 2010 -149W about £16 or $24

Seems great news and challenges the fuel guard. Going further- Racor have polishing kits complete with 12v pumps.

Good news!
I've tried searching for the 2010 -149W filter but can't find anyone that sells it.
Old 14-01-2016, 16:01   #28

Boat: Morgan 45 sloop

If you don't put in your tank you don't have to fitter it out, simple but can be difficult sometime. I have 2 suctions in the tank, 1 20mm off the bottom the other right on the bottom, I can suck of the bottom and though a set of fitters return to tank while the high suction is supplying the engine via a different fitter set. Fuel bugs need water,water will sit on the bottom, remove the water.

Regular tank clean is very important, sadly a lot of yachts have been design very poorly in this area.
Moon rise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 03:23   #29

Boat: Moody 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I've tried searching for the 2010 -149W filter but can't find anyone that sells it.
Hi this is a new product. Here is a UK supplier!

Diesel Fuel Filter Element, Racor 500 Series (Re-usable)

I note that this is 149microns and does not have the water blocking prowess of the standard paper filters but for polishing this looks good.
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 03:31   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Those are an incarnation of the dark lord himself, evil elvin playthings not meant for use by mortal souls!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I have no proof yet... But I suspect CAV filters were originally called Lucas filters...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, fuel filter